New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

To see some very moving pictures of Veterans Day, Armistice Day, Remembrance Day or Poppy Day ceremonies or observances, follow this link. It may bring a tear to your eye. It did mine.

You will also see the Red Poppy worn by all kinds of people, including the Queen of England, the Princes of England (on uniform notice) the Duke of Edinburgh, soldiers of several nations, etc.

The images are powerful as are the emotions behind the memories of those who have served their countries.

Don't skip this. Follow the link and see how powerful photos can be.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/11/armistice_day_remembrances.html

After viewing the images, take note of which ones meant the most to you or grabbed you the most or moved you the most. Come back to this thread and post your thoughts on the images and which one is the most powerful to you.

You may ask: What is the significance of the red flowers?

The red flower is a "Badge" or crimson or...a symbol of the Remembrance Day...a "Red Poppy" as in the "poppies of the fields of Flanders" (remember that poem from high school?).

But IF you want to learn more...go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

From WikiPedia, for those who won't jump the link:

The poppy's significance to Remembrance Day is a result of Canadian military physician John McCrae's poem In Flanders Fields. The poppy emblem was chosen because of the poppies that bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their red colour an appropriate symbol for the bloodshed of trench warfare.

An American YMCA Overseas War Secretaries employee, Moina Michael, was inspired to make 25 silk poppies based on McCrae's poem, which she distributed to attendees of the YMCA Overseas War Secretaries' Conference.[29] She then made an effort to have the poppy adopted as a national symbol of remembrance, and succeeded in having the National American Legion Conference adopt it two years later.

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:35 PM
Skyhawk42
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

Image #14 is a disgrace to the military. After all this man has done to our military in such a short time upto and including his refusal to call this latest terrorist attack a terrorist act. He is a sad excuse for a president. I am so glad I am no longer in the military to serve under this idiot.

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:46 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

Well...I did warn you folks that this is a collection of images that may bring some emotions to the surface.

For me, images 2, 17, and 23 were gripping.

I also was stopped by the photo of the 18 year old British rifleman. Read the caption on that one.

I liked seeing the smile on the faces of the two WW2 vets in NYC (one is a woman who served in the WAC).

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:49 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

My Impressions:

From my POV, those photos show an important part of human experience.

They show loss of friends or family that have served their countries and sacrificed for their fellow citizens.

They show people honoring that sacrifice too.

They show that the men and women in uniform have emotions and feel deeply their loss of comrades.

They show that war has a cost, that Freedom has a Price and that some people pay that price.

My POV is that images of human emotion are some of the most important we can see or make as photographers.

I admired these images and was touched by them.

Seeing them, makes me humble, both as a photographer and as a civilian.

How do they make you feel?

What is YOUR impression?

Nov 14, 2009 at 07:55 AM
Wrei
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

What I appreciate from these photos are the wounded soldiers who have survived. We show our appreciation for those who have died fighting for us. And on Veterans Day, we do pretty good job (lately) appreciating the living Veterans. But these photos make me think we really don't do enough for those who have been wounded and return home. God Bless Them All.

Ray

Nov 14, 2009 at 08:42 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

Wrei wrote:
What I appreciate from these photos are the wounded soldiers who have survived. We show our appreciation for those who have died fighting for us. And on Veterans Day, we do pretty good job (lately) appreciating the living Veterans. But these photos make me think we really don't do enough for those who have been wounded and return home. God Bless Them All.

Ray

+1!

Nov 14, 2009 at 09:10 AM
liamh
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

Skyhawk42 wrote:
Image #14 is a disgrace to the military. After all this man has done to our military in such a short time upto and including his refusal to call this latest terrorist attack a terrorist act. He is a sad excuse for a president. I am so glad I am no longer in the military to serve under this idiot.

Remembrance Day is for paying your respects to those that have paid the ultimate sacrifice on ALL sides of the battlefield.

I find it very sad that you pick out the picture of the President over one of a grieving parent or young man who has lost 1/2 his body.

Quit the politics and show some respect!!

Here's another one of mine from Westminster:

http://www.liamhall.net/Westminster4.jpg

Nov 14, 2009 at 09:30 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

Hi Liam,

I share those sentiments.

Thanks for posting the pic too.

That photo "Dad" got me choked up folks.

Nov 14, 2009 at 09:39 AM
jhobgood
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

My feelings are: sadness, anger and pride.

33,34,35 - are strong but actually all are very good.

Skyhawk42,

Thank you for your service!

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:43 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

Hello folks

If you look at the photos linked in this thread called "Remembrance Day.." (this is the same as "Veteran's Day" in the USA) then you will see lots of people observing in different ways. Honoring those that served.

One of the things I noticed many years ago is a difference in how veterans wear something that shows their service.

For example, in France, on memorial days such as this, MANY of the veterans wear their "decorations" (the medals or ribbons they were awarded while in service) on their civilian coat jackets. This is very common in Russia too. You will also see it in some of the other images of Canadian vets.

This practice of wearing medals on civilian clothing and is accepted and honorable. I don't doubt that there may be some "regulations" that either prohibit it or allow it depending on which country you are in. But, as I see it, I think it is understandable and honorable. From my POV, they have earned the right to wear them and be recognized for their service. Obviously they and their families see those decorations with pride too. I would.

Oddly enough, I rarely see any American vets do this. I think it is because there is a different sense of what is "appropriate." Some may wear them, but I think most do not. I personally think it would be a good thing IF they ALL felt it was accepted, honorable, and respected by civilians or citizens (ex military etc.).

My personal feeling is that those ribbons or medals signify that that man or woman has served our (their) country, and helped protect me and my family. When I see a man or woman wearing them, I sincerely thank them, as I do whenever I see someone in uniform, whether they are very old, or even young and without ribbons or medals.

Nov 14, 2009 at 05:18 PM
Gary Lee 44
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

Steady, thanks for posting the link. It should make us all be thankful! I like 7-17-25-37. As for #14. (ALL OF US) wish we could have taken the photo. Even those of us who don't agree with him. PROUD to be an AMERICAN!

Nov 14, 2009 at 06:01 PM
chipiii

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

WOW, just WOW..thanks Steady for posting this link.
I can't say one was more powerful for me than another. They all had impact in their own ways.
Once again still photographers demonstrate the power and emotion in photographs that you don't get from video.

Thanks again,
Chip

Nov 14, 2009 at 08:03 PM
Skyhawk42
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

I think I need to thank you guys. While my first post was filled with anger...no one attacked me for my feelings and I even got a thank you for my service. thank you gentleman. Thank you for hearing me out and not jumping off the deep end and banning me for me feelings. I feel that since I served my country with my life for 12 years I've earned that right to speak out and again thank you for allowing me to.

I lost my father 3 years ago, he served on the Forrestal when she was commissioned and I have him to thank for leading me to the NAVY to do my 12 years as an aircrewman on P-3's. I miss my dad but on veterans day, and his birthday I do alot of missing him.

Thank you for posting a link to this site......there are many very strong and brave people in those images.

John Binford
Warminster, Pa

Nov 14, 2009 at 09:56 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

Skyhawk42 wrote:
I think I need to thank you guys. While my first post was filled with anger...no one attacked me for my feelings and I even got a thank you for my service. thank you gentleman. Thank you for hearing me out and not jumping off the deep end and banning me for me feelings. I feel that since I served my country with my life for 12 years I've earned that right to speak out and again thank you for allowing me to.

I lost my father 3 years ago, he served on the Forrestal when she was commissioned and I
...Show more

Hello John,

Thanks for adding what you did in this last note from you.

And my thanks go to you and your father for your service too.

Steady

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:01 PM
bob parrish
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

Thank you Steady for sharing the link. Many powerful images. I graduated from high school in 1970. Vietnam was happening in a big way. Several of my schoolmates didn't make it back. Of those that did, many were never the same.

I remember watching a special on the Vietnam Memorial. About 1/2 way through I started crying and couldn't stop until the program finally ended. For some weeks afterward I was moved to tears just remembering.

I was thinking the other day that I don't really remember a time without war. So sad, really.

Here is a picture, (not a very good one) depicting the dead in Iraq. The red flags represent U.S. soldiers and the white flags represent 6-10 Iraqis. The field was covered in flags.

A moving exhibit.

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:50 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

Howdy Bob,

Thanks for posting your story about your view and the very nice picture of the field of flags.

That IS a very powerful image of the number of people who are/were casualties.

It is good to be reminded that not all casualties in a war are those in uniform, and that many times in warfare, the civilian casualties outnumber the military losses. This image shows that very well.

I think seeing things like this is better than the number (numerals) as the mind can better get a sense of "many" by seeing some kind of visual representation of the number, whether by flags, crosses, headstones, or some other physical object.

I wish I had seen this field with my own eyes.

I like the composition with the tree in the center too. As there are no leaves on the tree, it gives the image/scene another dimension too "The Fallen" and the barren life that is left without the beauty of those that have fallen. Stark visual. Good subject for an image.

Sincere regards...

Edited on Nov 15, 2009 at 12:00 PM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2009 at 08:16 AM
squareeyez
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

When I was a private I couldn't stand to go to the hospital on post because I knew there would be 'old timers' there and they would tell me about the days horses would tow the canons. They would tell me stories about how sergeants would take off their shirts and rank and initiate 'wall to wall' counseling and so on. That old people phobia probably came from having to hug grandpa and whatever the hell... Just a few years of being a Soldier and perhaps my first time after an overseas stint, I realized there was more to it than being *forced* to listen to the older Vets. I can't listen enough now. One day I'll be the old timer. I'm already the Vet. This past year on Memorial day I wanted to photograph some of these faces. I just couldn't NOT stand at attention during the anthem like other photographers and I couldn't do anything but give my undivided attention to the announcers. I gave my camera to my wife and told her to take as many pictures as she could. The glassy look in my eyes held her right next to me, though. Maybe next year...

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:08 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

About 3 days ago I was driving downtown, but on a street with only one other car on it...a little in front of me. As I got closer to the car ahead, I noticed the car i had a POW license plate on it. Of course that means the owner was a Prisoner of War.

I pulled up beside the car (with the car on my right side) at a red light.

I noticed the man at the wheel looked about 85 years old. I immediately knew he was one of the few POWs left alive from the WW2 and Korea era. I have spoken before the rapidly dwindling groups of them in the past but more importantly (for me) interviewed them individually too. So I have a deep feeling of compassion for them and respect for what they have experienced. I also know that each year there are fewer, and that their time left with us is very short.

He saw the 8 x 12" US flag (actually, I think of it as an "ensign" flying from my land yacht) flying from my radio antennae on my vehicle (I put it up on July 4th and like it so much I have kept it flying since). It waves in the wind at a gentle breeze.

I waved to get his attention while we were both at the red light.

It took but a moment, and he looked over to me (from the flag to me).

For an instant we looked each other in the eye through the window. Eye to eye. He had clear blue eyes and a gentle face framed with white hair and he was wearing a tie and suit coat. I imagine he must have looked very sharp when he was a young man.

I gave him a smile and then a crisp salute.

In an instant, I could see he was emotionally touched as he bowed his head and brought his hand to his face. A tear came to my eye on seeing that moment...as it literally does right now as I type this. I won't forget that moment, or that man.

That is the power of symbols and the respect we show the men and women behind protecting us...those symbols...and those feelings are things I consider important...and that is why I am posting this personal experience...sincerely in remembrance of those who are still with us, and for those who are not with us today.

Nov 15, 2009 at 11:24 AM
Matt Cope
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

A very interesting set of images to look through. I always like the Boston.com photo sets.

21 is interesting to me. I often work in Whitehall and it is good to see so many people turning out for the event. Photographically 18 and 31 are great, very unusual shots.

But for emotion then 37 is the most moving to me. Regardless of your feelings about the reasons or conduct of the conflicts around the globe, it is a very powerful image.

Nov 17, 2009 at 05:58 PM
mickacc

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Remembrance Day Image Collection

General MacArthur said ,"Only the dead have seen the end of war". For me, this is overwhelming.

Nov 17, 2009 at 09:58 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.