New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2005 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

howgus
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

Can anyone post their experience with the split-prism focusing screen offered by Rachael Katz for the 20D? I'm considering pretty seriously, but would like others experience with split-prism with 20D. In particular, was any adjustment of shims necessary to align AF and manual focus? Did you go for brighter version (+$50)?

Installation looks simple enough, and I don't think I would have any problem with it. Looking forward to manual focus again.

May 04, 2005 at 11:51 AM
sapro
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

I ordered it, got it and installed it. But Rachael sent an earlier version to me, and it doesn't align with AF points well. So I sent it back for replacement, the new one should be shipped out this weekend. Same as any other split-prism, focus circle or half of it will get totally dark after f/6.3 or so, so I will get a Hi-Lux treated one. I did some test shots during the short period with it, focus is dead on and metering (evaluative) seems same as before, so I am pretty happy with it and looking forward to receiving the replacement. Rachael is a top-notch seller, she will try her best to fix any problem you will have.

May 04, 2005 at 12:03 PM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

Link?

May 04, 2005 at 12:05 PM
howgus
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

http://www.keoptics.com

I knew I should have included this in my first post.

May 04, 2005 at 12:08 PM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

Thanks.

May 04, 2005 at 12:10 PM
slin100
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

Does the split-prism interfere with the center AF point?

May 04, 2005 at 12:15 PM
howgus
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

When you say 'align with AF points', I assume you mean the AF boxes in the finder didn't correspond with the AF sensor location. I was under the impression that this alignment was not very good on the original screens as well. How do you check for this alignment?

May 04, 2005 at 12:17 PM
bill-m
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

I received mine (without brightness enhancement) last week. The AF points are well-aligned with the microprisim ring. AF and metering are unaffected, and MF using the split-image aid is accurate. The viewfinder is a little dimmer with this screen compared to the stock screen (personally, it doesn't bother me enough to spend $50 on the brightness enhancement.)

For me, installation seemed a little tougher than on a 10D. The 20D uses a single clip that unclips from the front (the 10D had 2 clips that unclipped from the side.) Also, the 20D clip seems smaller than the 10D clips (I don't have the 10D any longer, so this is just an impression.)

Note that Rachel's screen does not have AF points; on the 20D, the AF points are on a different screen, so their position relative to the AF sensors is unaffected. Thank you Canon!

Bill

May 04, 2005 at 12:36 PM
howgus
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

Bill,

Thanks for the post. I think I'll order one. Have you tried it with partial as well as evaluative metering?

Guy

May 04, 2005 at 12:57 PM
Sam Bennett
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

slin100 wrote:
Does the split-prism interfere with the center AF point?

Can someone answer this question? Does using this screen disallow use of the center-point AF?

May 04, 2005 at 01:02 PM
howgus
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

I can answer by referring to previous posts in this thread: AF is unaffected by this screen. I can only presume this includes the center AF point. Can't imagine any product being acceptable that disables the only accurate sensor in the system.

May 04, 2005 at 01:10 PM
sapro
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

Sam Bennett wrote:
Can someone answer this question? Does using this screen disallow use of the center-point AF?

The light to AF sensor is NOT the same path to the focus screen, so AF is totally unaffected. I think this should be clear

May 04, 2005 at 01:14 PM
bill-m
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

I've only used it with evaluative metering and auto focus point selection. I'll try it with partial metering and using the center focus point tonight.

Bill

May 04, 2005 at 01:17 PM
Sam Bennett
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

sapro wrote:
The light to AF sensor is NOT the same path to the focus screen, so AF is totally unaffected. I think this should be clear

Great, thanks.

May 04, 2005 at 01:19 PM
csebasti
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

What's the price on these?

May 04, 2005 at 01:31 PM
krieves
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

Split image on the 20D? Since I'm a die hard manual camera guy, this would be great. I bet I've taken a dozen or so picture with my camera on an exposure setting other than manual. I used a Canon F-1 for so many years, manually adjusting exposure is second nature. Now I can have accurate manual focus? Sign me up!

I went to the website, but it looks to be very much under construction.

May 04, 2005 at 02:15 PM
sapro
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

More info can be found here http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=12985844
and here https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/205594

May 04, 2005 at 02:21 PM
rachaelseven

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

I hope I'm not violating board rules, but since it's been asked about, I'll post the information regarding the 20D split prism focusing screen here and beg understanding from the monitors if I have crossed the line into commerical posting....

----------
General and Metering Information

The screen I have available for the Canon 20D is a laser matte with a split prism circle and a microprism collar, very similar to the one you'd find in the Nikon FM3A and many other SLR's. They are a direct replacement with no modifications required to the camera at all. The split prism with microprism ring is a great combination and it doesn't seem to have any significant effect on metering with the 20D. In evaluative or centerweighted modes, it tested dead on. In the partial mode, it appeared to overexpose a bit, but it is well within the range of exposure compensation available on the camera. The focus indicator rectangles and original composition circle will show on top of the focusing aids of the new screen, so all AF information is retained. The screen will also have NO effect on the functioning of the autofocus sensors of the camera.

----------
Installation

Installation is not terribly difficult, but it does require care. Instructions for the 20D are not available, as Canon never officially released a replacement screen. But, someone wrote instructions for the 300D which are available at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canondigicamhacking/files/How%20To%20Remove%20the%20Canon%20Digital%20Rebel%20Focusing%20Screen.pdf. The basic instructions for the 20D are the same as the 300D and the pictures in the posted instructions give a good idea of what's involved. There are only really two points that are slightly different: 1. if the shim is removed or dislodged, it has to be inserted a certain way. The top edge (furthest from the mirror) has to be put in first and then the other edge tipped down into place. 2. Because of the 2nd screen with the composition marks, it seems to be more difficult to get the installation dust free. Keep the environment very clean and use the air puffer liberally at each step. Beyond these two points, it's pretty much the same as the 300D installation described in the above mentioned PDF. If you don't feel confident installing it, your local camera shop should be able do it for less than $50. If you want me to install it, I can, though it's not my normal procedure. I charge $25 for the installation, plus actual cost for the return shipping.

---------
Optional Brightness Enhancement

Although the screens look good and they are fairly bright as they are, if you want the ultimate appearance I can have it treated to improve its brightness. I use a process called Hi-Lux which is provided by Maxwell Precision Optics. The treatment will increase the apparent brightness by about 2 stops or more and is particularly useful for slower lenses or low light. Without the treatment, the screen does appear slightly "rougher" than the original, but not much. This actually allows for easier manual focusing using the matte portion of the screen. With Hi-Lux treatment, the screen looks pretty similar to the original, though it still retains most of its improved focus ability. And of course, the prism areas are still there for precision focusing. The extra brightness is difficult to quantify exactly. It tends to increase with smaller aperture. At f1.4, for example, you can barely see the line between the two halves of a screen that’s been half-treated for demonstration purposes – I would say maybe ½ to 1 stop equivalent. But, as the aperture gets smaller, the improvement gets greater. By f6.3, I’d say it’s good for a full 2 stops. By f16, it might be equivalent to 3 stops or more. It’s definitely a pleasant change. For the record though, Hi-Lux will do nothing to resolve the fact that half the prism blacks out around f6.3 or so – that’s just a limitation of optics related to the angle of incoming light. If you want the Hi-Lux treatment, it will cost an additional $50USD.

---------
Logistics

The 20D split prism focusing screen costs $110USD, which includes USPS Priority Mail shipping in the USA. International or alternate shipping methods are charged at actual cost. As I mentioned, Hi-Lux treatment adds an additional $50USD, if you desire it. I take payments through PayPal www.paypal.com to the account [email protected]. You can use your choice of credit cards or any other method they accept. When you place your order, please be sure to tell me what you've ordered and include a complete shipping address with phone number.

I make the screens to order, so it will take 7-10 days to process your order. Hi-Lux treatment adds an additional 10 -14 days or so, as I have to send the screens to Maxwell and back for the process.
--------

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]. I'll get a proper website up within the next few weeks, I promise. I had no idea the demand would be so great for these and right now, I'm just struggling to keep up with orders. Thanks so much for your interest.

Take care,
Rachael Katz
Katz Eye Optics
www.keoptics.com

Edited by rachaelseven on May 05, 2005 at 08:34 AM GMT

May 04, 2005 at 04:04 PM
Nchakos
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

I dont understand how the screen will look darker or dimmer when using a smaller aperture.It is my understanding that even if u choose the smallest aperture,the lens stays wide open when focusing and composing the shot..the aperture stops down only when u push the shutter button.
Am i wrong?

May 04, 2005 at 04:21 PM
rachaelseven

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Katz Eye focusing screen for 20D

You're not wrong if you use an automatic lens. If you're using a manual lens however, then it will get darker when you stop down.

Rachael

May 04, 2005 at 04:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.