New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

Fred's excellent rolling review thread is up to 36 pages.
I felt we needed a dedicated thread on these important topics, to be sure that folks don't miss out on the news.

TWO parts here

1. Firmware Update

You must copy and paste the link. It’s not clickable.
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=SEL50F14Z&upd_id=11149&os_group_id=3

What Does This Do?
This utility updates the lens system software to version 02 and provides the following changes and benefits:
Note: The lens must be attached to a camera to perform this update. The NEX-5, NEX-3, NEX-C3, NEX-VG10, and PXW-FS7 model cameras cannot be used.

-> Adds supports for continuous, blackout free shooting of up to 20 frames per second when using the ILCE-9
-> Improves the autofocus tracking performance

Note: If the current System Software version is Ver.02 or higher, the camera lens doesn't need this update.

Determine if you need this update
Check the version of your camera lens System Software:
Attach the lens to the camera.
Note: Please make sure the camera is off before you attach the lens.
Power on the camera.
Press the Menu button.
At the Menu screen, select Setup.
At the Setup screen, select Version.
The System Software version is displayed on the LCD screen.

2. Recall

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/news-item.pl?mdl=SEL50F14Z&news_id=532
if the link doesn't work, copy and paste it into a new browser page.

from sony:
Posted: 10/17/2017
Thank you for your interest in Sony products.

We discovered that some SEL50F14Z Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA lenses for α™ E-mount cameras may develop an issue with fog inside the lens.

To address this issue, subject to the terms and conditions in the Limited Warranty that accompanied the Affected Models, we will repair your Affected Model, free of charge, until October 31, 2019.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for your kind understanding and cooperation.

Affected Units
Model: SEL50F14Z

Serial Numbers that are being recalled:
1800001 to 1810699
8300001 to 8300119
If you have a different lens, or if your SEL50F14Z serial number is not in one of the listed ranges, your lens is not affected by this issue.

The serial number is on a plate on the side of the lens, and the model number is on the side of the mounting ring.

Symptoms
Fogging, visible as small dots, may occur inside the lens.
Image quality may be affected due to a decrease in contrast or resolution.
Resolution
If your SEL50F14Z lens is within the serial number range, and is experiencing this symptom, please contact Product Support for troubleshooting and assistance.

--

Commentary:

If you have the lens now, you probably need to have your lens repaired, and you most definitely need to update the firmware. You paid a lot of money for this lens, so see it through and make it tip top!

You will need a fully charged battery, usb cable, and computer to do the firmware update.

Regarding the recall. If your serial number is recalled, send it in, regardless if you see the dots or not! Before you call them, take a look for yourself. You need to look through the glass along with the help of a flashlight, and be certain to inspect at all angles. You will probably see dots on an inner element. If you don't, send it in anyhow. The issue could pop up later on.

Sony will ask you to ship a recalled lens to CT to a third party repair center.
They will probably replace an optical block. Folks have reported that the lens comes back sharper and better than ever.

--

Personal Notes:

When I purchased my lens two weeks ago, I asked the vendor to send me a lens that was not in the recall zone. And they obliged.

My P/D date is 07/17
My SN is 18107xx which means it was made very soon after they corrected the manufacturing error.
My lens required a firmware update.
I was able to update today, using my mac sierra 10.12.6, with no trouble.

Good luck to all!

Dec 23, 2017 at 03:34 PM
Chainring
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

P/D: 11-2017
SN: 181066x
Firmware out of the box: 2.0

No fogging in the lens at all and I've looked at it multiple times. Time will tell...

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:16 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

Really odd that you have such a new build, including the new FW. And yet, have an affected lens. Makes zero sense 🙃
Can you simply return it?

Chainring wrote:
SN: 181066x
Firmware out of the box: 2.0

No fogging in the lens at all and I've looked at it multiple times. Time will tell...

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:24 PM
JeffAhn

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

I will add to this as another datapoint similar in circumstance to Chainring:

SN: 181068x
Firmware out of the box: 02

Difficult to discern if there is fogging or not, aperture stays closed down so only a tiny bit of the inside is viewable....

Also, working with the vendor to see if an exchange is possible but time will tell for next week if they can locate the S/Ns of the existing stock that's available for exchange.

Dec 24, 2017 at 08:41 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

JeffAhn wrote:
I will add to this as another datapoint similar in circumstance to Chainring:

SN: 181068x
Firmware out of the box: 02

Difficult to discern if there is fogging or not, aperture stays closed down so only a tiny bit of the inside is viewable....

Also, working with the vendor to see if an exchange is possible but time will tell for next week if they can locate the S/Ns of the existing stock that's available for exchange.

Maybe you could set the aperture to f/1.4 and just pull out the battery from the camera, to be able to see properly through the lens when subsequently unmounted.

Dec 24, 2017 at 09:00 AM

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

Mine has
P/D: 08-2016
SN: 180885x
I purchased it in June 2017. In Moscow.
It has been repaired as noted in the other thread. Became even sharper than it was.

Dec 24, 2017 at 12:53 PM
Chainring
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

bjornthun wrote:
Maybe you could set the aperture to f/1.4 and just pull out the battery from the camera, to be able to see properly through the lens when subsequently unmounted.

That's exactly what I did. Works well.

Dec 24, 2017 at 06:32 PM
Chainring
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

In the main 50mm 1.4 thread, Dj R had posted a link to another site which has pictures of the fogging. Here's one uploaded to imgur.com.

https://imgur.com/a/AYSQD

Dec 24, 2017 at 06:35 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

I bought once used from this forum. The lens looked WORSE than this one. But yet images looked fine. I obviously returned it to the guy, who was gracious and accepted my request.

I needed up going with a new one after all that 😅
Chainring wrote:
In the main 50mm 1.4 thread, Dj R had posted a link to another site which has pictures of the fogging. Here's one uploaded to imgur.com.

https://imgur.com/a/AYSQD

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:18 PM
cmarker

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

Thanks to all the work in creating this forum and figuring out this great lens in the last forum (The EFCS information was invaluable). It is one of my favorite lenses (mine was just sent it) and I look forward to seeing whether it could possibly be better after the repair.

Jan 02, 2018 at 03:44 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

ORIGINAL POST IN DECEMBER

chiron wrote:
Mine is on the way to Sony/Precision Camera in Connecticut. Sent Sony an email asking for instructions about the recall. They gave me a number to call. Guy at the number (eventually, through the automated voice answering maze) knew what it was all about. He wanted the formal model designation of my lens, checked my serial number, asked me what I saw in terms of a problem, wanted to know exactly when it was purchased, sent me an email to print out and enclose with the lens, told me to enclose a copy of the purchase receipt, to send only the lens and caps, to pad it well, and that the turn-around time would be 7-10 business days. He described where it was going as the "Sony Electronics Repair Center," not as Precision Camera. Who knows.

This was a sharp copy. I hope it comes back that way. Another poster said his/hers was delayed waiting for a part--an "optical block." I think the "optical block" may actually be the part of the lens that contains the actual optical glass, all assembled as a single unit. If that is correct, one winds up with a new and different lens than what you sent in.

Yikes!

FOLLOW-UP POST IN JANUARY

Just to wind up my account (see quoted message above) of sending in my lens for repair:

I received the lens back just about twelve days after I sent it to Sony. I thought this was pretty good, since the period included both the Christmas and New Year's weekends. The return address on the box was Precision Camera, not Sony.

The lens was well-enough packaged, though not as well packaged as I had sent it to them. It was wrapped tightly in small-bubbles wrap that was secured with two rubber bands, and then placed in a cradle of larger bubbles-wrap. It could move and roll a a bit n this cradle, but it could not contact anything except bubble wrap. So, it could move, but it would always be bubble-wrap contacting bubble-wrap.

The repair ticket that came back with the camera indicated the following:

"Explanation of Repairs"
"Lens Operation"
"A Complete Repair and Return All Functions to Factory Specs"

"Complete Cleaning (Internal-External) and Optical System"

"Description of Parts Used"
"Lens Assembly"

The lens looks brand shiny new and the glass appears brand new, with a flawless sheen that new glass has. My assumption from what they wrote and what I can see is that they replaced at least some and possibly all of the glass in the lens using a pre-assembled lens assembly.

The lens as repaired appears to be quite sharp and centered, as was the lens I sent them. The repair appears to be very satisfactory.

There was no charge to me, but I did have to pay for shipping the lens to Sony, which of course they should have covered since this is a recall and not a warranty repair of a damaged or failed lens. Other than this minor point, the repair and the repair process were satisfactory to me.

Jan 16, 2018 at 04:24 PM
cmarker

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

chiron wrote:
FOLLOW-UP POST IN JANUARY

Just to wind up my account (see quoted message above) of sending in my lens for repair:

I received the lens back just about twelve days after I sent it to Sony. I thought this was pretty good, since the period included both the Christmas and New Year's weekends. The return address on the box was Precision Camera, not Sony.

The lens was well-enough packaged, though not as well packaged as I had sent it to them. It was wrapped tightly in small-bubbles wrap that was secured with two rubber bands, and then placed in a cradle of
...Show more

I had a very similar experience. I was quite surprised to see the lens back so quickly. Mine took about 8 business days. I am excited to test it.

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:17 AM
Chainring
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

I was thinking about this recall and how it may dissuade some people from keeping a lens that falls within the recall serial number range, but otherwise performs great.

Repair deadline is Oct 31, 2019.

Normally, the lens has a 1 year warranty. Some people, myself included, have reported they've not seen any junk in the lens. Mine seems to be pretty darned good, so I was torn between having a good performing unit, and the prospect of having to send it in. I figure I'm getting almost a 2 year warranty since I purchased the lens in Dec 2017. I'm past the point of returning it now, but not worried either.

Feb 05, 2018 at 01:41 PM
dumplinknet
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

I sent my 50/1.4 in to Precision Camera. This was Fred's Perfect copy. I was so sad to see it started fogging up.
They received the lens on the 9th (~4PM) and they shipped it back on the 13th (~4PM). I will receive it on the 15th. I will let you guys know how it all went. Crossing my fingers it's better than before.

I also left a little note with the lens, asking if they can please take great care it.

Feb 14, 2018 at 04:28 AM
dumplinknet
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

Update: So I just got my lens back from Precision Camera. And so far, it looks great. They really cleaned the lens inside and out. With a light shining through the glass elements, I can see the internal fogging issue is now gone.

I did some de-centering tests just to make sure it's not out of wack.... and surprisingly, I think it's even better than before.

This lens was originally Fred's copy. And he went through several copies of this 50/1.4 to find one that was very well-centered. He even went as far as considering it apochromatic. My biggest fear sending this in was that I would lose that quality. Having it serviced now, I think it's just as good, if not, better.

I'm not entirely sure what was replaced, but here is a picture of the receipt when I opened the box.

https://imgur.com/a/vtbiT

The total process took about a week and a half from when I sent it in, to when I got it back.

I encourage others to do the same.

Feb 15, 2018 at 05:39 PM

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

I talked briefly with the sony engineer that worked on my lens yesterday and double checked if the lens hasn't developed the issue again, he said, that "half the lens" gets exchanged.
The lens is clean btw after approximately 2 months since repair, no signs of the issue.

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:12 PM
ed.white

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

I'm looking to buy this 50mm 1.4 and am now wondering where to get a copy that doesn't fall within this serial number range?

I actually bought one from amazon (direct, not an amazon reseller) - it arrived and was clearly used, dust and hair on the lens, marks on the exterior. Needless to say it was immediately returned, and I am quite cautious about getting a decent, new copy with a later serial number than the ones with issues.

any ideas!?

thanks

Jun 03, 2018 at 03:04 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

I suggest someone like Procam. Sony authorized but not too big. So you can call and ask for Erik and ask him for the right serial numbers. PM me your email and I will ping him and copy you. This is how I accomplished the same thing!

ed.white wrote:
I'm looking to buy this 50mm 1.4 and am now wondering where to get a copy that doesn't fall within this serial number range?

I actually bought one from amazon (direct, not an amazon reseller) - it arrived and was clearly used, dust and hair on the lens, marks on the exterior. Needless to say it was immediately returned, and I am quite cautious about getting a decent, new copy with a later serial number than the ones with issues.

any ideas!?

thanks

Jun 03, 2018 at 04:52 PM
timsporcic
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

I just got my 50mm back from the recall work. I sent it to Precision Camera. It only took a little over a week.

Interestingly, the receipt only says they updated firmware to v1.0 and cleaned/tested it, internal and external. There is no mention of replacing any parts like in the receipt above. The lens looks mint now.

Are not all the lens in the range really affected by the issue?

Jun 26, 2018 at 05:50 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Recall & firmware - Sony 50mm 1.4 Zeiss ZA

Bump

Jul 23, 2018 at 08:17 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.