FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Larry Williams
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Greetings,

Bald Eagles migrate south following the Mississippi River during the winter months when northern lakes and rivers have frozen. Gizzard Shad, the main food source for Bald Eagles, congregate beneath the river’s dams.

Lock and Dam 14 is located between Le Claire and Bettendorf, IA. What’s special about this particular dam is that it rarely freezes over and offers the eagles perching trees very close to where the shad school. The proximity of these trees offer the perched eagles the opportunity to conserve calories while hunting.

During the last four years, the mature trees that the eagles perch in have been dying. The Corps of Engineers have reluctantly had to remove them for safety reasons.

Jay Brooks, a Bettendorf resident, took it upon himself to contact MidAmerican Energy to share with them the plight of Lock and Dam 14. Jay coordinated efforts of MidAmerican Energy along with the Corps of Engineers. MidAmerican Energy donated all of the eagle perches and the man power to erect them.

Jay also contacted Chad Pregracke of “Living Lands and Water”. His company’s primary mission is to aid in the protection, preservation and restoration of the natural environment of the nations major rivers and their watersheds. Mr. Pregracke along with the Corps of Engineers determined what species of trees would be best suited to be planted at LD 14. He will be planting trees in the very near future. It is my understanding when the trees are mature, the eagle perches will be removed.

The main reason for the erection of these eagle perches is to help the eagles. Winter months are very difficult for them, and yet, LD 14 offers the opportunity for everyone from every age to view and photograph our National Bird. The joy that the eagles bring to people that come to view them from all over the world is a treat in itself.

Kudos should go to Jay, a big thanks to MidAmercian Energy, and a big thanks to “Living Lands and Water.”

The first two images show the eagles using the trees that are no longer available. The rest of the photos illustrate the effort that went into erecting the perches.

1 thru 8 of 12

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:16 PM
Larry Williams
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

9 thru 12 of 12

Thank you,

Larry

Sep 15, 2017 at 08:18 PM
imthegasman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Thank you for the information Larry. My in-laws live in Eldridge and I often go down to Lock And Dam 14. Nice to see that someone has made such a great effort and that something has and is being done.
I'm waiting for some nice cold weather so I can line up on the boardwalk again.

--Richard

Edited on Sep 15, 2017 at 09:16 PM · View previous versions

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:12 PM
troy bilt
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Thanks Larry. I hope to get a chance to freeze my but off shooting with you again soon. This time don't forget my coffee.

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:15 PM
USM IS
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Larry,
I remember in 1968 three men flew to the moon, read a verse, and a lady wrote a letter saying they saved 1968. I am writing to say your guys saved Lock & Dam 14's coming Eagle season.
A lot of hard work by a lot of good folks. Tell Jay everyone over in this part of the state says thanks!

Mike Stark

Sep 15, 2017 at 09:36 PM
nikonboy

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Thank you, Larry, for this touching update on a serious concern to all of us who plan the months of December, January, and early February around Lock & Dam 14 and the daily 'bird count.' The situation is certainly very serious for the migrating birds. For anyone who may not have witnessed the scene at LD 14 during the migration, the birds arrive at LD 14 seemingly starving, based upon behaviors we see following a successful catch. The race is on for the bird with the fish, and often an aerial fight ensues. As photographers, we want shots of the birds doing all the things they do, and fight shots are no exception. l mention this only as an illustration of the dire situation for the birds as they arrive.

On behalf of everyone who comes to LD 14, let me send another big "Thank you" to Jay, the Army Corps of Engineers, MidAmerican Energy, Living Lands and Water, and to Larry Williams for this wonderful example of real-world conservation work for the benefit of our Bald Eagles of LD 14.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:04 PM
dclark
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Interesting photos and story. It's great that such an effort was organized and brought to completion. I look forward to seeing photos of eagles on the perches.

Dave

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:18 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Wow what an effort. Thanks.

Sep 16, 2017 at 03:45 AM
wonderer
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Collaboration at its best--I love it! Kudos to all involved and thanks to you Larry for posting the report with pictures here.

--Kim

Sep 16, 2017 at 05:06 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Thanks for the update Larry. We keep saying we need to get up there, another good reason not to put things off. Hope the eagles like their new perches. Please keep us up to date.

Sep 16, 2017 at 07:13 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Great effort by Jay, Midamerican energy and others involved. Hopefully eagles like these new perches. Thanks Larry.

Sep 16, 2017 at 07:59 AM
red350

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Thanks for the update larry and Jay's help in getting the perches erected! I have been out there a couple times and appreciate the friendly atmosphere that you and the boys promote. Great place to photograph fishing Eagles. Hope to see you this winter - pray for cold weather!

Bob Karcz
Colorado

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:33 AM
WestFalcon
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Larry.......Fantastic photographs! I was there this morning and can hardly wait for the birds to come in December or whenever. Jay Brooks did a lot of work on this and your pictures show everyone who shoots there the results of all the efforts. It's a Quad City treasure and Mid American did a splendid job......Brian Brunsvold Fantastic photographs

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:42 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

A great story focusing on a serious plight confronting the annual eagle visits. Although the poles are not as attractive as (natural) trees, they appear to be a necessary perching aid for the eagles. Thanks for posting.

Sep 16, 2017 at 01:39 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Excellent story. I remember last year hearing about the trees dying and everyone's concern about what would happen to the eagles. Really great to see all of these different groups pull together to accomplish something good. Congratulations to the gentleman who got all of this started, and to you Larry for documenting it for us.

Sep 16, 2017 at 04:06 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

How wonderful that the eagles have an advocate and that everyone involved worked together for them.

Birdie

Sep 16, 2017 at 05:16 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

What a great story! So glad to see a group of people working together to help out like this.

Sep 16, 2017 at 05:31 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Echoing others, what a great story and thank you for the update, Larry! I still haven't given up going to LD14 after the failed trip some 8-9 years or so ago.

Joshua

Sep 16, 2017 at 06:01 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Very nice Larry. I'm lookin' forward to seeing these perches in use this winter, (hint) ~ Ron

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:31 PM
RVRich
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Plight of Lock and Dam 14

Thanks for the update Larry. I, too, am looking forward to coming back up there to photographically shoot a few eagles at L&D14. The last 2-3 years I've been "scared off" because of the warmer weather. This year I think I'm going to come no matter what the temps!

--Rich

Sep 17, 2017 at 04:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.