New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

vmunhoz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

Hi everyone,

From what I read about the D810, this is a useless, completely cooked and void of information format, basically a marketing-made selling point.

Nikon has been mentioning these sRaw and mRaw as key features over and over again since the D850 announcement, but I couldn't find any detail about it. Do you think they implemented any changes or improvements to these formats from the D810 or is it just another marketing ploy?

Personally I would love to have a camera that I can shoot ~20mp for the most part (I shoot concerts) without loosing dynamic range and quality and then switch to the full 46mp when I have studio shoots.

Sep 06, 2017 at 12:32 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

The mraw and sraw are 12 bit only not 14!! The rest is unknown as far as quality goes. We should know more pretty soon as people will gets there D850 tomorrow!

Sep 06, 2017 at 12:54 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

On the D810, they were 12 bit 'uncompressed' (but really only 11 bit and more like a JPEG) RAWs with baked in WB data. It would be better to think of them as a JPEG with extra data than a true RAW. The manual also states these images cannot be retouched. It also requires more processing horsepower, which is why the buffer roughly cuts in half on the D810 even though it's producing a much smaller file size. These were really quite useless because you could just shoot a 12bit compressed RAW and get similar file size but with about 4 times the data and better everything else with a proper RAW.

Now, on the D850, the small and medium RAWs appear to have some important changes. They are now lossless compressed 12bit RAWs and Nikon support claims you can adjust the WB in post (this has yet to be confirmed). The D850 manual also does not have the caveat that the small and medium RAWs cannot be retouched, like there is in the D810 manual. It also seems like they are using pixel binning, which is also different than how it was previously done (down sampling). This could potentially produce a fully usable RAW, but just at a lower bit depth and of course lower resolution and file size (which is the point). If file size is the sole concern, you are likely still going to be similarly benefited just shooting compressed 12bit, but some people are also after the resolution decrease.

One inconsistency I have noticed already is that Nikon themselves had said in an interview that S/M RAW reduced buffer depth, however is not the case according to the manual even though they take more power to process and still read the full sensor. There is however an inverse relationship between RAW size and buffer depth due to the extra processing involved. Small RAW gives you 56 images, medium 94, and large 170. Buffer clearing time is also longer on the S/M RAW, however the full buffer filled with regular lossless compressed 14bit full resolution images can clear in 7 seconds which is very fast.

Sep 06, 2017 at 02:32 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

Thanks canadamark! Is this a canadian only thread? Lol! Only canadian have posted so far!

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:41 PM
Dj R
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

CanadaMark wrote:
On the D810, they were 12 bit 'uncompressed' (but really only 11 bit and more like a JPEG) RAWs with baked in WB data. It would be better to think of them as a JPEG with extra data than a true RAW. The manual also states these images cannot be retouched. It also requires more processing horsepower, which is why the buffer roughly cuts in half on the D810 even though it's producing a much smaller file size. These were really quite useless because you could just shoot a 12bit compressed RAW and get similar file size but with about
...Show more

will we not know until LR or Photoshop is ready for this camera?
I have never used any other software, ever!

(talking about the w/b et al)

Sep 06, 2017 at 04:47 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

rick2906 wrote:
Thanks canadamark! Is this a canadian only thread? Lol! Only canadian have posted so far!

No problem. It was Canada only until Dj R ruined it Joking of course. We are the minority around here I think.

Dj R wrote:
will we not know until LR or Photoshop is ready for this camera?
I have never used any other software, ever!

(talking about the w/b et al)

Yeah we should be able to find out most of what we need to know when someone gets it into PS. There are more detailed RAW analysis' you can do too that shouldn't take long to surface once the camera gets into more people's hands.

Photoshop is already ready, as is NX-D/NX-I. Both have been updated accordingly.

Sep 06, 2017 at 05:13 PM
vmunhoz

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

haha GO CANADA, eh?!

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:42 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

CanadaMark wrote:
No problem. It was Canada only until Dj R ruined it Joking of course. We are the minority around here I think.

I may as well be from Canada
huge hockey fan
and I vacation in Playa del Carmen

Sep 07, 2017 at 03:49 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

Uh guys? CRAPnada? JK Stay on topic WHat's the deal with sRAW and mRAW? Worth shooting weddings at mRAW exclusively?

Sep 07, 2017 at 10:50 PM
mcaswell
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

Elijah wrote:
Uh guys? CRAPnada? JK Stay on topic WHat's the deal with sRAW and mRAW? Worth shooting weddings at mRAW exclusively?

While it's still unknown as to whether or not the D850's reduced RAW will be semi-baked as in previous models, as it stands now I don't think I'll be using mRAW/sRAW. Given a choice between medium at 30mb or a 12 bit lossy compressed full-size NEF at 34mb, I'd go with the latter... simply not enough file size advantage there. There's also the hefty buffer depth penalty with mRAW (200 vs. 94).

Sep 07, 2017 at 11:05 PM
sputnik
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

I played with the D850 at the store who has one with my name on it. I brought some older D-type lenses that I was curious about in regards to performance. I was also curious as to how well the sRaw and mRaw options would work. With regards to w/b they seem to work just like the full fledged full size raw file.

It's an impressive camera, but my gut tells me it's not for me. I think my soul is lost to mirrorless and Fuji at this point in time. I'll sleep on it over the weekend before making the final decision though.

Sep 08, 2017 at 12:36 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

I'm curious if the sRAW and mRAW in camera processing slows down shooting and image review speed?

The 5dsr has a similar feature, but I found that it slowed down the camera so much that it was not practically usable.

Feb 12, 2018 at 01:11 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

sungphoto wrote:
I'm curious if the sRAW and mRAW in camera processing slows down shooting and image review speed?

The 5dsr has a similar feature, but I found that it slowed down the camera so much that it was not practically usable.

No it does not slow down shooting speed or image review speed at all, however it does reduce the maximum buffer depth slightly. They are also true RAW files, not the glorified JPEGs of the past however they are 12bit. You don't need special software to process them either, they are treated as a normal RAW file.

Feb 12, 2018 at 01:29 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon D850's small and medium RAW options

Got it, thanks! Great to hear

CanadaMark wrote:
No it does not slow down shooting speed or image review speed at all, however it does reduce the maximum buffer depth slightly. They are also true RAW files, not the glorified JPEGs of the past however they are 12bit. You don't need special software to process them either, they are treated as a normal RAW file.

Feb 12, 2018 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.