FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2017 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Jannik Peters
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Hello everybody,

I am a Sony user and plan to do a little experiment.

I am a little frustrated by the usability of my A7II - especially when it comes to AF performance and it's direct controls (Joystick). Furthermore, studio work is horrible with my best glass since focusing at working aperture is just ridiculous.

I will definitely wait for the A7III and see if my issues will get adressed but I want to be ready if that is not the case because these issues are badly annoying me. If the A7III will disappoint me, I will probably split my gear. I will continue to use Sony FF for Landscape (nothing I know of (and I can afford) can match the rendering and sun stars of my Loxia 21 or my Voigtländer 2/65) and something else (I guess Fuji or Nikon) for documentation, portrait, sometimes weddings.

I've remebered my great time with the X100 and thought that Fuji will be the best start in the search for alternatives. I don't mind APS-C in general if the output matches my taste. A big German retailer will lend me an X-T2 with Booster, 2/23, 1.4/35, 2/90 and 100-400 for a month and I want to get to know the system as good as I can in that time to be able to decide what I will do as fast as I can and to get a broader view in general.

I want to use that month as good as I can, therefore I need a few information before it starts.

- Do you know if it is possible to trigger my Godox TT685S, TT350S, AD600B, XTR16 with a X1T-F? I am aware that the TT685S and the TT350S will not work directly on the camera but I want to know if I can trigger them with the 2.4GHz remote signal? Is there a difference between the Sony and the Fuji signal?

- What is the best way for sharpening? I have read about a setting that looks like that (LR6): Amount: 20-40, Radius: 1,1-1,2, Detail: 80-100, Masking: 10. Do you agree that this is a good setting for the 24MP X-Trans sensor?

- Will my presets work in the same way except of sharpening or are the other sliders also affected by the X-Trans effects?

- Are there any other things to keep in mind before the first use?

Regards,
Jannik

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:14 AM
lexvo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Jannik Peters wrote:
- What is the best way for sharpening? I have read about a setting that looks like that (LR6): Amount: 20-40, Radius: 1,1-1,2, Detail: 80-100, Masking: 10. Do you agree that this is a good setting for the 24MP X-Trans sensor?

Regards,
Jannik

With the new 24MP sensor, the detail sharpening should not have a high value (this was the case for the previous 16MP sensor). This is discussed here:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1453611/0

Best will be to experiment for yourself I think

Sep 05, 2017 at 05:25 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

The X-T2 sensor seems to behave quite normal, those settings don't look to different to what I usually use. Thank you!

Sep 05, 2017 at 05:50 AM
spoupard
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

I don't own the X1T-F, but everything I've read about it indicates that it can be used wirelessly with all Godox R2 flashes like the ones you mentioned.

Sep 05, 2017 at 06:59 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

spoupard wrote:
I don't own the X1T-F, but everything I've read about it indicates that it can be used wirelessly with all Godox R2 flashes like the ones you mentioned.

That would be great! Then I would get one of these for my experiment.

Sep 05, 2017 at 07:04 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Jannik, I came from Sony to Fuji X-T2 and have been very pleased. They're both excellent systems, but for various reasons relating to my own needs X-T2 has been a very good replacement for my A7R. Having a month to try out an X-T2 kit is awesome. Good on you.

Specifically on your question about sharpening, there's interesting reading here: http://thephotofundamentalist.com/fujifilm/help-sharpening-x-trans-iii-files-adobe-lightroom/

Tom (the author of this post) stays within Lightroom to do his sharpening. If you look at the comments on his posting, you'll see that I think you can do a lot better by using a hybrid workflow: first running the RAFs through Iridient X Transformer (IXT) and then bringing them into Lightroom. You'll find lots of different opinions on this question. Some people, like Tom and others who use the settings he proposes, are completely happy staying in Lightroom. I'm not. I'd say try for yourself.

One of the links I posted in my response to Tom's article goes to this image (which I've posted here in my response to make it easier to see). Judge for yourself (Lightroom only on the left, hybrid workflow using IXT and LR on the right). Click on the image to see it in its native size, where the differences are clearer, or click on the original link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LdVznTJdvWZ0xCZzV6dDMzZ1E/view)

Jannik Peters wrote:

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:16 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Thanks a lot! I have to admit that I am a nasty pixel peeper sometimes, so I'd choose version II in a heartbeat and go the Iridient route.

Nevertheless, I am a working family father and have limited time for my hobby and my lens testing for www.phillipreeve.net. Therefore, the speed of the workflow is also quite important. How does your workflow from import, selection, conversion, editing to export look like with the Iridient option inbetween. Is it possible to do batches?

Thank you, you are increasing my joyful anticipation

Sep 05, 2017 at 09:43 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Hi Jannik. There are two workflows in this Windows workflow.

(1) Set IXT up as an external editor in Lightroom, and then only process the ones you want.
(2) Batch the lot!

I do #2 exclusively. If you shoot very high ISO (as in more than 6400) then IXT can produce unpleasant results. I rarely if ever go over 6400, so batching the lot works easily. People who do shoot higher ISOs will either process differently through IXT, or skip IXT entirely and just import the high ISO RAF into Lightroom directly. I would do the latter because in my comparison at high ISOs IXT doesn't do a better job than LR.

My workflow goes like this:

1. Copy RAFs off the card to an archive. (I keep them all just in case... IXT gets better with each version, and new developers may come along, so with storage being cheap it's easy to save them. It's also easy to reprocess them and replace the one you used originally -- have done that a few times as IXT moved through Beta versions.)

2. Point IXT at the card that has the RAFs and process everything. This can take a while if there are 100s of images. I have IXT dump the DNGs it creates into d:RAW_Import. Any location will do.

3. Import the DNGs into Lightroom. I use a Lightroom import preset to apply my standard basic adjustments (which I explain in the post on Tom's blog).

So the only extra step compared to an all-Lightroom workflow is #2.

Sep 05, 2017 at 10:06 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

If you love (or hate that you love) pixel peeping, Irident is definitely the way to go. I have never, ever use it for portrait work, but I sure use it for landscapes. Its quite good. I find that when sharpening images made with the better Fuji lenses, it truly is a case of "less is more."

Also, having come from Sony, I have been nothing but pleased with my Fuji gear. I currently have or have had the 16/1.4, 23/2, 23/1.4, 56/1.2, 16-55/2.8, 18-135, 55-200, and 100-400. I no longer have the 16/1.4, 23/1.4, 16-55/2.8, or the 55-200. For true pixel peeping, the best lenses in Fuji's lineup have been:
16/1.4, 23/1.4, 56/1.2, and the 100-400. I rarely have done much sharpening at all with these.

The 18-135 needed a bit more work, but that has always made sense to me since it is my family/vacation lens.

Sep 05, 2017 at 10:16 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Thank you very much, rdeloe! I usually do a step in Lightroom between 1 and 2.

I use LR to import the files and to automatically generate the right folders. Then I select the images that I want to keep (star rating) and delete the rest.

Would it work to do that step before the iridient conversion or will I have to re-import them because they get converted from RAF to DNG?

@TheEmrys: Yes, I remember that you have posted in the Sony forum when I suscribed to FM.

I'm not necessarily a pixel peeper but I do sometimes little jobs and I need to be able to deliver the right files to print large. I don't mean 2x3m but at least 1x1.5m. I also like to have a few large images at the walls in my home. For web images, I think the correct resizing and sharpening is more important than perfect pixel level sharpness.

I see, my preliminary choice of lenses isn't that bad. I have high hopes in the 2/23 as a WR lens, I really want to take pictures in bad weather conditions and my Sony isn't reliable in that scenario.

If I'd go all in, I'd probaly get the 16-55, 2/23 (everyday), 1.4/23 (portrait), 1.4/35 (portrait), 2/50, (travel), 1.2/56, (2/90, not sure about it) and 100-400.

I'd sell the Sony 1.4/50, 1.4/85, 4/70-200.

Why did you sell the 1.4/23?

I'd still keep my Sony A7II with the CV 5.6/12, Loxia 21, FE 2.8/35, CV 2/65. The wide angle lenses in the Sony system are simply more attractive in my opinion.

Sep 05, 2017 at 01:55 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

The only reason I sold the 23/1.4 was to get an RX1. I am currently debating go back to the 23/1.4, but the 23/2 has WR..... Its a sticky situation. And I have the Rokinon 12/2, which is fabulous.

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:19 PM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Understand your problem. The Sonnar 2/35 is unmatched in my opinion, but the camera is just hard to love. I used the RX1 and the RX1RII.

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:25 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Exactly. I even considered the RX1rII, but decided I needed to go with Fuji and be content. But when I got it all correct, the images from the RX1 had a magic. But the 23/1.4 is pretty special. The 23/2 is tiny and WR. But it isn't the lens that the 23/1.4 is, and both are behind that amazing Sonnar 2/35.

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:29 PM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Yes.. Maybe I would be happier if Sony would offer a native 2/35 (like the 1.4/35 equivalent) which is a sweet spot between size and speed.. The Sonnar 2/35 of the RX1 has got the best bokeh that I have ever seen in a wide angle lens. Some shots are just breathtaking.

Sep 05, 2017 at 02:48 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Jannik, I bring all the DNGs into Lightroom, find the ones I want and delete the rest. That sounds like what you're doing with the RAFs.

If you wanted, you could bring all the RAFs into LR, sort them as you usually do, and then convert them to DNGs from inside LR. But to my mind that's an extra hassle given that the DNGs produced by IXT, while larger than the native Fuji RAFs, open very quickly because they've been decoded and developed.

You can download a trial version of IXT that is fully functional except it watermarks the image. That would give you a chance to try both approaches.

And I'm not a pixel peeper by the way! My goal is simply to get the cleanest possible image from the camera because I want to be able to print at 17x25", and potentially larger. Because I came from an A7R, I got spoiled by the image quality from that camera! I want my smaller Fuji files to perform as close to that level as I can -- and this workflow gets me there.

Jannik Peters wrote:
Thank you very much, rdeloe! I usually do a step in Lightroom between 1 and 2.

I use LR to import the files and to automatically generate the right folders. Then I select the images that I want to keep (star rating) and delete the rest.

Would it work to do that step before the iridient conversion or will I have to re-import them because they get converted from RAF to DNG?

@TheEmrys@: Yes, I remember that you have posted in the Sony forum when I suscribed to FM.

I'm not necessarily a pixel peeper but I do sometimes
...Show more

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:17 PM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Thank you very much, all sounds logical to me. Around one week left until I can try the workflow with my own images.

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:19 PM
dakel
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Seems like your questions are mostly answered but I'll chime in with my perspective.

- I'm ok with Lightroom sharpening for all but Landscapes for which I would use IXT.
- I notice a certain smoothness to my Fuji files (when processed in LR) compared to my Sony files. Sometimes I prefer the smoothness and sometimes not.
- I find that the clarity slider has an impact on the sharpening in LR on RAF files so I generally keep it pretty low.

Good luck.

Sep 05, 2017 at 04:52 PM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Hi folks, thank you once more for making my start into the Fuji X-Trans world much easier I have to admit that I can work with the camera and the files much better than I have expected - straight from the beginning. I am not yet fully convinced to add a X-T2 to my personal gear but I am at least tempted.

This is my half time report from the first two weeks:

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/the-fuji-experiment-a-sony-a7ii-user-tries-the-x-t2/

Sep 28, 2017 at 03:38 PM
fishjump
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Only a matter of time Jannik, only a matter of time....

Sep 28, 2017 at 08:52 PM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Trying out Fuji as a Sony-user

Jannik,

If your gut feel just makes you grab a Sony full frame I`d suggest go with what you are happy with.

I shoot both Canon and Fuji. When I am on a shoot where I leave no compromises I take my 5dmk4 and mk3. This give`s me a piece of mind when I want distinct flash burst or sun burst photos. I also have a lot more confidence with the high iso capabilities over my Fuji X-T2.

The zinger is when I shoot with my Fuji in available good light in open shade I totally love the images. I have the Fuji EF-x500 flash and I just prefer my canon gear for bounced flash photography (extremely reliable AF in pitch darkness) to fill flash outdoors. Fuji still doesn't meet my needs for reliable AF in pitch darkess using bounced flash. That is my deal breaker for using fuji as a primary system for events photography.

I cannot sell my Fuji and I will never sell my Canon gear either. In many types of photography displaying images online people will NOT tell the difference from an X-t2 to Canon/Nikon/Sony except maybe how they render colour....as long as the camera lands the shots.

Life's too short for me to think hard about what camera gear to buy. I'll shoot whatever meets my needs and demands. Fuji render is truly eye Candy for me. I often shoot both system simultaneously.

Have fun!!

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:41 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.