Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Nikon D850 officially announced!
The D850 is Here!
(Oh, What a Surprise!)

The new Nikon D850 sports a newly designed Sony 46MP backlight sensor and offers new features like peaking, zebra and automated focus stacking. The high megapixel sensor does not stop it from shooting 9 frames per second with the optional MB-D18 grip!

Main specifications:
  1. 45.7MP FX-Format BSI CMOS Sensor
  2. EXPEED 5 Image Processor
  3. 3.2" 2.36m-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
  4. 4K UHD Video Recording at 30 fps
  5. Multi-CAM 20K 153-Point AF System
  6. Native ISO 25600, Extended to ISO 102400
  7. 7 fps Shooting for 51 Frames with AE/AF
  8. 8K Time-Lapse, Negative Digitizer Mode
  9. 180k-Pixel RGB Sensor, Focus Shift Mode
  10. SnapBridge Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
Help support FM by using our links for your purchase! - Thank you!

Pre-order today: B&H Photo | Adorama

Expected availability: Thu Sep 7

More info from Nikon USA

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:14 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

The specifications are pretty good with a new CMOS sensor. Finally 4K video, decent frames per second, improved auto focus, etc. Great price in the US as well. Pre-orders at B&H, Adorama, etc.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/index.page

I was thinking of holding on to my D810, but this is very tempting!

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:24 AM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

With the medium RAW file being at 25mp, I'm sold on D850 for weddings.

Now I've got to invest into some XQD's...

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:35 AM
macpro88
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

SOLD. This looks like it's going to be the best all around DSLR available.

I shoot wedding and being able to shoot a full wedding at an optional 25MP and then switch to full resolution for wedding portraits and creative shots is just super awesome and flexible. Nobody wants to shoot reception shots at 45MP.

The autofocus system is what I'm most excited for.

Oh, and that USD price.... hittin the sweet spot!

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:26 AM
shekarn64
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Hope the medium RAW is not a disappointment as the small raw in earlier models.

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:38 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

I'm heartened to hear the price isn't close to $4K as was speculated (I was dubious they would price it that high in current market.) However, it's an evolution not a revolution. I don't see this camera making much difference in what I shoot, although the -4EV focus would be nice. My plan is to wait until used ones are selling for under $2K and then buy two. I can't justify spending $6,500 on them. The money I save will be spent on travel, maybe a winter trip to Iceland. It's warmer there in winter than where I live.

Kent in SD

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:39 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

In my opinion, the most well-rounded DSLR ever made, with a full lens lineup to support it. Well done Nikon.

Unfortunately I'm at this point addicted to the smaller form-factor of the Sony A7R2, otherwise I would seriously be considering jumping ship to Nikon for the first time.

I have to wonder how many DSLR Canon shooters are now considering the switch? I know that if I still shot Canon, I'd be having a huge garage sale on the B & S boards as of this morning....

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:43 AM
traylorc
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

I have already submitted my pre-order...

Aug 24, 2017 at 08:21 AM
JohnnyArguedas
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Elijah wrote:
With the medium RAW file being at 25mp, I'm sold on D850 for weddings.

Is it the not-really-RAW downsampling that the D810 does? If I remember correctly, it's 12-bit compressed and the file size is around the same as full RAW losslessly compressed, so effectively useless. I'm still using dinosaur D700's for weddings, but once I move up I wonder if LR would work fine with smart previews.

Aug 24, 2017 at 08:21 AM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

This is looking very good. I like the ISO button location, tilting screen, high resolution, and the second joystick. Also liking the reduced RAW file options, assuming it's a real RAW that processes quickly.

[beerclink]

Aug 24, 2017 at 08:51 AM
ironimages
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Any word or speculation on a possible ship date?

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:04 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Yikes! Great specs on this camera. Can't wait to read the reviews.

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:21 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

JohnnyArguedas wrote:
Is it the not-really-RAW downsampling that the D810 does? If I remember correctly, it's 12-bit compressed and the file size is around the same as full RAW losslessly compressed, so effectively useless. I'm still using dinosaur D700's for weddings, but once I move up I wonder if LR would work fine with smart previews.

Previously. they were 11 bit glorified JPEGs with baked in data like WB. I always found you should just shoot compressed 12bit RAW instead. No word on what they are on the D850 yet.

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:26 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

ironimages wrote:

Allegedly Sept 14 - 18th (this year) <--

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:38 AM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

ironimages wrote:

I know the first cameras will be arriving in stores (in Belgium) in the second week of September.
The numbers that will become available is as always a good kept secret.

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:40 AM
ironimages
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

Charles Loy wrote:
Allegedly Sept 14 - 18th (this year) <--

Thanks, Planning a trip later October would be nice to have a new toy.

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:42 AM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

D850 is like the D700, which got basically everything.... speed, good AF, resolution (back in its days) in one body, I'm interested!! But I think I can wait.... I'm fine with Sony at the moment, until I go to shoot astro or aurora.
oh maybe I could sell my D610 to help fund it ....

JohnnyArguedas wrote:

File size (in file systems) is not the same as image size. A compressed file has to be decompressed for software to process. Software (PS) is either 8 bit, 16bit or 32bit per color channel, so 12bit or 14bit will eventually be processed in 16bit or higher anyway. Compression and reduction to 12bit only save storage space and disk read/write speed.

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:45 AM
beagleone

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

I've been anticipating this for some time now. I am sold on it. I like the thumb joystick, the ISO button location and the various RAW sizes. Adding the video it great as well, but not something I would use regularly. I hope the shipping dates are set; I would need this for a huge event I shoot in November. Looks like I need to stock up on XQD cards as well. Amazon has a sale on the Lexar 64GB XQD cards today. While i am tempted to trade in my 810 for the discounted prices, it is still holding up really well, and will probably move to my back up camera.

Aug 24, 2017 at 09:56 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

I'm waiting on the details of the bit depth and imaging speed (time to read out the entire sensor) in electronic shutter mode. For landscape images it's not that great a thing to drop to 12bit depth to get a no-vibration image (though sometimes it's still useful!). All of my mirrorless cameras (Sony & Panasonic) drop to 12bit depth in the RAW file when using fully electronic shutter and some of them have very slow readout times (like ~1/30 sec, though not the Sony A9).

That and the quality of LiveView for critical focusing are key for me. I'd be fine with the same DR as the D810.

- J

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:01 AM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon D850 officially announced!

im a little disappointed it doesn't have group-area AF (HL) and group-area AF (VL). i just love these 2 new af groups on the D5.

Aldo

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:14 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.