New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

shutterwolf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

As the title states, I am in search of some programs for my Macbook. I am still fairly new to apple, and I have tried a few programs here and there, but I figured I would reach out to see what others recomend.

Im mainly looking for the best app to view photos. On my PC, I use Acdsee Pro 9, and its great for a viewer. On my Macbook though, it doesnt seem to be as smooth/easy to use. I am looking for something where I can use the swipe gesture on the trackpad for smooth/easy scrolling. The stock preview app is great, but it seems to only view 1 image at a time unless you highlight and open all the photos in the folder, but that can be a pain.

Also, what other apps should I look into? Photography related or just other cool things to have.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Jul 20, 2017 at 03:25 AM
fgphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

Photomechanic is a long time go-to for photojournalists and other photographers that want to view images and rate (stars, color tag, etc.) quickly. It has a great interface to quickly ingest images, and then allows you to batch or individually rename, add iptc data, change capture time and a whole bunch of other great early editing tools along with being able to quickly go through your take and select your winners. It also has FTP and other transmit capabilities built in so you can also use it to send or upload images after you've edited them.

Photomechanic will not do the work of Photoshop/Lightroom/Capture One, but it is the program that many of us use to ingest sort and caption our images outside of our photo editing software of choice.

www.camerabits.com

It is well worth the money.

Jul 20, 2017 at 09:47 AM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

Pixelmator 3.6 Cordillera. Available from the Mac App Store for $29.99 http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/ Inexpensive and useful.

Jul 20, 2017 at 01:01 PM
DES-1
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

Simple, reliable backups, which you can boot from in an emergency, Carbon Copy Cloner, I use it on all my Macs. It has a free trial and I'd recommend you do a tryout.

https://bombich.com

Jul 20, 2017 at 05:39 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

Finder is built in and can be the best casual app to view photos - find what you want using search or inspection of a file list (or thumbnails if you set that View), then hit the spacebar for a quick view

Finder can also display EXIF using the Inspector button

Jul 20, 2017 at 05:58 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

Fast Raw Viewer is only a few dollars and is an excellent substitute for Photo Mechanic which is relatively expensive. I used PM before and didn't buy FRV earlier because I didn't like the interface however it seems much better now and I use it daily now.

Isn't Adobe Bridge free ? Maybe, maybe not.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:43 AM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

I've heard that Adobe is working on speeding up the Lightroom, especially when it comes to ingesting/culling photos. So maybe trying out Lightroom should be your first step, especially that it is the most popular software at the moment, and you will easily find help online, with many free tutorials on YouTube. - https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html?sdid=KKTJE&mv=search&s_kwcid=AL!3085!3!187920822889!e!!!!adobe%20lightroom&ef_id=UPH7eQAAGO4-FmGB:20170722005008:s

As for the other software, I would suggest getting a Little Snitch: https://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html to keep you internet connections safer aka firewall. It might be overwhelming at the beginning but after initial set up, it works great. You won't believe how many connections there are that are approved by default. Connections that often gather data. Here is a review: http://mac360.com/2016/09/a-little-snitch-for-the-mac-paranoid/

Jul 21, 2017 at 07:51 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

For simply viewing photos (and just about any kind of document file), just use Quick Look, which is built into the OS. Select the item(s) you want and then hit the spacebar. If you have multiple items selected, then after you hit the spacebar you can navigate among them with the L and R arrow keys.

If you want more of a slideshow viewing app, Phoenix Slides is free and is very fast and good.

As mentioned earlier, you'll want Carbon Copy Cloner for backup. For a nice image editing app, look at Pixelmator and Affinity Photo, both of which are fairly inexpensive and are available from the Mac App Store. Carbon Copy Cloner must be purchased from the developer.

You'll also want Cookie (Mac App Store) for managing cookies.

Jul 21, 2017 at 09:21 PM
shutterwolf

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

First off thanks for all the replies and advice

As for what im after, i have ACDsee on windows 7 and I can open 1 picture then use the arrow keys to scroll thru em all. ACDsee on mac looks way different like its more of an editor app than a viewer app. Im trying to be lazy and scroll thru all pics in the folder without having to select them all first, and it would be really nice to use the trackpad gesture.

Im going to take a look at all these programs that are being recomended for sure. See if theres any I like.

Also really supprused how hard it is to sell a 2012 macbook lol. Im getting my newer retina one tomorrow so I cant wait to start looking at these apps

Jul 21, 2017 at 09:27 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

I use safari, iTunes, the canon stuff, adobe cc{lr &
ps},kindle, zinio, dropbox, keeper, dvd ripper hd, x-plane 11, bible study, color munch photo, Quik, color checker passport, go pro studio, plus several other apps. for photo I believe in adobes cc photo deal, at first I hated the idea until I used it for some time

Jul 22, 2017 at 02:30 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

what does Carbon Copy Cloner do for backup as vs. just using Time Machine (built in)?

Jul 22, 2017 at 02:03 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

rw11 wrote:
what does Carbon Copy Cloner do for backup as vs. just using Time Machine (built in)?

It makes an exact copy of your hard drive on to an external drive. If the system HD, it is bootable so you can immediately boot and use your Mac should the internal drive die. With TM you have many hours of repair and restore if that happens. I use both TM and CCC: TM mainly to restore files from the prior day, week or month if needed and CCC for exact drive copies of my system HD and external video, audio and images libraries (which are stored offsite).

Jul 22, 2017 at 02:14 PM
shutterwolf

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

Yeah, Ive been hesitant to switch to Adobe CC vs using CS6 that I already have. Still on the fence about it... How many computers can I use it on btw?

Jul 22, 2017 at 05:27 PM
DES-1
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

Gochugogi wrote:
It makes an exact copy of your hard drive on to an external drive. If the system HD, it is bootable so you can immediately boot and use your Mac should the internal drive die. With TM you have many hours of repair and restore if that happens.

+1, I use both as well but hope I never have to fall back to the TM version because of the those many hours to recover. My TM runs in the background hooked up to a network drive in the basement. I just occasionally make sure it is still working and then forget about it since it is a backup of last resort.

My system is currently small enough that I can use an external 5TB drive to backup everything: a 512GB SSD for the system drive, a 1TB SSD for most current photography, and a 2TB photography 'repository' for older work. My scratch drive, 128GB SSD, is not backed up. I've partitioned the 5TB external into matching volumes and do backups by volume with the backups made bootable. I have 2 of these 5TB external backups in rotation. As the size of my system grows, I'll just swap in larger drives or cascade into another 'repository' volume.

As bizarre as this probably seems to some of you, I do all my folder management and migration in Lightroom.

When migrating to a newer or a larger drive (like when I went to a 512GB system drive), migration was a snap with CCC - clone the old to the new w/boot and you are done.

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:47 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

Onyx is a must-have.

Use it to periodically keep your OS healthy and fast. My 2008 Mac Pro is running just as fast as when it was new. I run Onyx any time my system feels sluggish or things are not performing as they should. Never fails.

And Shotput Pro for data verification when copying. An industry standard.

Jul 23, 2017 at 03:01 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

shutterwolf wrote:
Yeah, Ive been hesitant to switch to Adobe CC vs using CS6 that I already have. Still on the fence about it... How many computers can I use it on btw?

Not sure. Check with them. Probably available very quickly online.

Wanted to give you more input on CC.

I pay $10 per month for PS and LR. I may stop using LR and switch to this Photomechanic they are talking about. I use LR only for viewing up to 100% and for quick selection/culling. But I really like PS.

Anyway, I can back out of subscription at any time.

I call Adobe at any time during their operating hours in California. They ALWAYS answer my questions and solve my problems.

With the CC I am assured of getting updates.

Robert

Jul 23, 2017 at 03:54 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

leethecam wrote:
Onyx is a must-have.

Use it to periodically keep your OS healthy and fast. My 2008 Mac Pro is running just as fast as when it was new. I run Onyx any time my system feels sluggish or things are not performing as they should. Never fails.

And Shotput Pro for data verification when copying. An industry standard.

100% agree!!!

Get Onyx and get peace of mind. It kills anything that may be dragging your Mac down. It works and is always updated. As is said...when I feel this old MBP is getting sluggish I run Onyx. Problem solved....always

Jul 23, 2017 at 04:00 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

shutterwolf wrote:

"1.1 Use of Software: Subscription-Based License. You may activate the Software on up to 2 devices (or virtual machines) at a time, if these activations are associated with the same Adobe ID for the same individual, unless stated at the Adobe Activation page. However, you may not use the Software on these devices simultaneously." - http://prodesigntools.com/how-many-computers-can-you-install-adobe-cs5-on.html

Jul 23, 2017 at 07:58 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

shutterwolf wrote:

As said above - 2 computers. Which is great. I have Adobe Photoshop CC* on my desktop and notebook.

*That incudes Lightroom and Photoshop.

If you are a Canon shooter DPP produces excellent results, but the GUI/Interface needs a lot of work.

I am trialling Capture One Pro, again. I have used it in the past but found LR a lot more intuitive. However, I want to give C1 Pro another shot.

Jul 23, 2017 at 09:16 PM
LightShadow

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking for advice on programs for Mac OS X

shutterwolf wrote:
First off thanks for all the replies and advice

As for what im after, i have ACDsee on windows 7 and I can open 1 picture then use the arrow keys to scroll thru em all. ACDsee on mac looks way different like its more of an editor app than a viewer app.

If all you want to do is view photos, you can use Quick Look. Open the photos folder > Edit > Select All (or click and drag over the photos you want to view to select them) > Space Bar. The first photo will be presented. From there, use the right arrow to go to the next photo or the left arrow to go to the previous one. Hope that helps.

Jul 23, 2017 at 09:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.