New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Sunwayfoto?

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunwayfoto?

I prefer the tried and true A-S accessories from Kirk, RRS, Wimberley, Jobu, and Markins, but I found a product that is a good fit for my application, the DDY-64i A-S Clamp. I would use Loctite to affix the clamp on the Markins TH-200 hub of my Gitzo 2 series tripod.

Does anyone have experience with Sunwayfoto products? How do they hold up in the field, for example are there any issues with rain or freezing temperatures?

Thanks, EBH

Mar 05, 2017 at 09:08 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunwayfoto?

I use a couple of their panning clamps with Hejnar rails for my panorama head. I can't speak to their longevity under heavy use in adverse conditions. But I can say I'm happy with the smoothness of the panning and the ability to hold in locked position without slippage. Machining is pretty good, though not up to RRS.

Here is a website where the guy reviews and uses their products pretty extensively.

http://www.scvphotoideas.com/2013/05/sunwayfoto-ddh-03-panning-clamp-review.html?m=1

Mar 05, 2017 at 09:29 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunwayfoto?

I have that exact clamp and the only issue I have had w/ it is the knurling on the know which of course, isn't knurled but rather machined. Too rough (IMO) and I would have preferred something like RRS splining. I put heatshrink over the knob and then a bit of 'gun grip tape' (amazon) and that solved the issue.

Mar 05, 2017 at 01:30 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunwayfoto?

I use several Sunway products and have been very happy with them. I purchased the XB-52 ball head and used it several weeks last winter and this winter in Yellowstone without any issues. Living in Florida, it also makes frequent trips to the beach, rainy afternoons in the summer and again no issues so far. My prior ball head was an Arca Swiss B1 and it got tired of it's frequent freezing of the tension/friction mechanism.

The XB-52 uses a similar friction system, but it has not locked/frozen on me and I find it suitable for my long lenses, (300mm f/2.8 +2x, Sigma 150~600mm Sport +1.4x).

Mar 05, 2017 at 05:47 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunwayfoto?

I have a ballhead, a panning clamp, and two L-brackets (6D and X-T2) and have been very happy. Ballhead's been abused in lots of different conditions (wet, very cold, etc) with no change in functionality. Can't compare to higher end gear though, never owned anything from Kirk or RRS.

Mar 06, 2017 at 01:46 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunwayfoto?

1/2 a dozen Sunwayfoto products and couldn't be happier.
Great packaging, quality materials, killer pricing...why pay more?

Mar 06, 2017 at 11:42 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunwayfoto?

I've got several clamps, a panning clamp, a head and a few plates and all work very well. The milling is smooth and the finish looks good albeit not as durable as the finishes on my RRS stuff.

Mar 06, 2017 at 11:46 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sunwayfoto?

I have a clamp like that and a few other items. They make good stuff - typical Chinese knockoffs. My only complaint about Sunwayphoto is related to their tilt head for monopods. It does not have sufficient friction to hold the weight without having to really apply force to the knob. I use this brand for things that I am likely to use infrequently and would rather have something than nothing. So I would by a RRS L-Bracket (I use it all the time) but a Sunwayphoto monopod tilt-head (I use it rarely).

Mar 06, 2017 at 05:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sunwayfoto?

howardm4 wrote:
I have that exact clamp and the only issue I have had w/ it is the knurling on the know which of course, isn't knurled but rather machined. Too rough (IMO) and I would have preferred something like RRS splining. I put heatshrink over the knob and then a bit of 'gun grip tape' (amazon) and that solved the issue.

Thanks for the concept. I decided to use a silicone rubber cap and cut it to an appropriate length. There is plenty of friction both inside and out to allow more torque on the knob without as much effort. It is smoother and less painful to the fingers as well.

EBH

Mar 09, 2017 at 08:19 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sunwayfoto?

interesting. I'll have to rethink it if/when the gun tape decides to come off.

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:09 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sunwayfoto?

I have several of their arca style quick-release adapters, both are perfect.

Mar 16, 2017 at 06:19 PM
scottsoutter
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sunwayfoto?

I use one of their quick release adapters on a mini-tripod, and for the price it's excellent. Have hauled it to three continents... I'm pretty fair weather so can't speak that much to snow, sleet, rain, and the rest of the postal service weather patterns but I am a sloppy packer and it's survived well enough being thrown in as an afterthought to a duffel bag many times and it continues to close smoothly and grip well.

Mar 16, 2017 at 06:25 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.