Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · All Lineman Saturday: College Football

PureMichigan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · All Lineman Saturday: College Football

Doing a D2 shoot this weekend and the ask from the school is to focus heavily (90%+) on the offensive and defensive lines. It's a day game with good light so I'll probably use a D500 and 400MM 2.8 to enable me to get very tight into the scrum. Of course I've shot the lines before -- a little every game-- but never in a concentrated manner.

Anybody with good chops in this area have some tips. Open to wisdom on this.

Thanks.

Nov 02, 2016 at 10:46 AM
jim2312
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · All Lineman Saturday: College Football

PureMichigan,

Doing this often as the few HS teams I cover have a lot of seniors this year. My approach is position myself in the end zone facing either the OL or DL. with a 1DX and a 400/2.8 I am able to get images out to the 45-50 yard lines that are still very usable when cropped in tight. I start to focus before the ball is snapped and if I can see their eyes when they are in their stance I get this, then when the ball is snapped I hope I am not blocked but then get him engaging with the opponent. The referees do block you so be aware of this and also if you focus on one, but keep your eyes open on the lineman to this players left or right as you might be able to get 2 in one play, especially if it is a pass and you have time. Stay in the end zone and get them straight on is my biggest advice.

Nov 02, 2016 at 11:22 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · All Lineman Saturday: College Football

First, I'm no expert on D-line / O-line shots, but my son plays D-line and I shoot a lot of them. It's definitely a challenge to find them in open space. End zone shots may work, and may not. Consider the angles to get faces. I've had some luck shooting from an angle from the sideline, shooting between players, and refs.

Also, consider some sideline shots. The D line or O line usually sit together, meet with coaches and discuss the prior series, review video (even our small HS uses tablets to review video) and having some fun maybe.

1. angle from sideline
2. sideline shot with 0-line and coach
3. also may find some iso shots.

Nov 02, 2016 at 12:15 PM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · All Lineman Saturday: College Football

I'm in the camp that says vary the angles. The O and D lines are a long way into the center and it's tough to get everyone at peak action. Look for the blocking, but also look for the jube, look for the hands on the hip before the play starts, look for the sideline and bench shots. Look for them coming off the field. More than once that was the best shot I had of a player usually buried deep, but it was a shot. And realistically, some of those shots sell. They can tell a story.

Nov 02, 2016 at 01:15 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · All Lineman Saturday: College Football

I think you're on the right track. Although I don't shoot college, the school of thought for shooting interior line would be the same regardless of the level. I use a 1DX with a 600mm when shooting interior line. The basic thought is to be able to get further away from the line of scrimmage to lessen the angle to the player (i.e. shoot further down or up field). This also gives you a better chance at shooting your intended subject without a player stepping between you.

Nov 02, 2016 at 04:23 PM
danrbeck

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · All Lineman Saturday: College Football

My brother played the line in high school, and some shots of him that I enjoyed (but didn't take) were simple ones of him just breaking the huddle. He had a little hop shuffle he would do with his feet as he broke the huddle and headed to the line.

Nov 02, 2016 at 04:51 PM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · All Lineman Saturday: College Football

I agree with Ralph on the 600mm. My son played O line in college, and the 600 was an invaluable tool for capturing the guards and center from the end zone. Tackles are easier to isolate as they are more likely get some separation as they block.

Watch for the guards pulling. You may be able catch good views of linemen blocking for runners from the sideline. If the offense breaks a long running play, keep an eye on the O linemen. They will continue rumble down field towards the action and you may be able to catch a full length shot of one or more of them. Tight ends are tricky, since they can be blocking or running routes, and your best position will be different, depending on the play.

With a good defensive line, shooting from the end zone works very well. Look for them getting off their blocks and coming through the opposing O line after the ball carrier. Wait for jube after a tackle, particularly the interplay with their teammates. (The 300 lb guys don't tend to leap and chest bump a lot.) When the D line brings pressure, you can just follow the ball and catch them joining the action.

I find red zone defense most challenging defensive line play to photograph. The sharp angle from the sidelines makes it tough to catch faces, and shooting from the end zone means hoping for them to turn at least sideways and having a hole appear - which is usually not a good thing for your team.

Other interactions - sidelines, coach, teammates - have been mentioned. If the defensive line gets a stop that results in a change of possession (interception, fumble recovery, fourth down stand), there should be good opportunities as they come off the field and are congratulated by teammates and coaches.

Nov 02, 2016 at 07:58 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · All Lineman Saturday: College Football

Guards and centers on running plays often try to reach block linebackers to cut off pursuit. You can get some fair angles by going downfield about 20 yards from scrimmage. Reach blocking is a tough assignment, though, so much of the time they'll try to cut the defender, and you can't get faces.

I stopped shooting football before the read-option era, but I suspect you can get some good shots of the defensive end, who will come across scrimmage unblocked. Those guys are sometimes crack-backed by tight ends or slot receivers if the QB keeps the ball and goes wide. Usually they're just left alone to pursue.

Nov 03, 2016 at 11:02 AM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · All Lineman Saturday: College Football

Here are examples of lineman photos from pro, high school and college.

I always use a 400 on a full frame body and isolate the requested players and very closely follow the action of offensive and defensive lineman.

Shooting from the endzones works great but you are limited from 25 to goal line so any place has worked for me.

Good luck with your photo shoot.

© Lee Woolery Speedshot Photo

Nov 03, 2016 at 11:35 AM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · All Lineman Saturday: College Football

...more

Nov 03, 2016 at 11:37 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.