New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              31       32       end

Archive 2016 · C-sonnar!

DavidBM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · C-sonnar!

Well after spending ages looking for a good Jupiter-3 and playing with my old Kiev one which just loses more contrast than I like with light coming from anywhere but behind the camera, yet loving the old Sonnar funky look (especially at f2) I've given up and bitten the bullet and ordered a C-Sonnar f1.5 which which should look pretty similar but with better contrast and mechanics.

While I wait anyone want to whet my appetite with wide aperture images with the c-sonnar?

Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 C Sonnar T* ZM

Sep 04, 2016 at 08:48 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · C-sonnar!

My next lens ZM 50 1.5 or a VC Nokton 1.5.

Don't know which one maybe better

Sep 04, 2016 at 08:59 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · C-sonnar!

GMPhotography wrote:

I had the VC Nokton 1.5 and never should have sold it . . .

Edited on Sep 04, 2016 at 02:03 PM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2016 at 09:59 AM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · C-sonnar!

I sold my Nokton 1.5, missed it and repurchased. I really like its character. Plus its a sunstar machine

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:11 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · C-sonnar!

Love the Sonnar 50/1.5C. I am currently using it exclusively for everything except landscapes which my choice is the Loxia 50.
It's so tiny even with its hood and works very well with TAP.
Micro contrast, smooth rendering and 3D are all there but this lens is under corrected for SA. (Which adds to its character)
I will post some samples when I get back from Hawaii.

Sep 04, 2016 at 12:53 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · C-sonnar!

Having the Sony 50 1.4 i can really look for a lens with a lot of mojo to it. Just have to figure which one the ZM or VC. The VC is a lot cheaper

Sep 04, 2016 at 01:49 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · C-sonnar!

The more I use the CV Nokton 50/1.5, the more I love it.

Here is a recent casual portrait shot with an A7ii.

Rob

CV Nokton 50/1.5 Aspherical

Sep 04, 2016 at 05:40 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · C-sonnar!

I have to agree. The C Sonnar is an incredible lens. Had one on my original A7...for people, it's incredible. It just has a look.
Gregg
A7 and C Sonnar 50 1.5

@f1.5

@f1.5

@f1.5

@f1.5 w/VME adapter

Sep 05, 2016 at 02:08 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · C-sonnar!

GMPhotography wrote:

I haven't used either (though I have used an original Sonnar and a Jupiter-3) but I think the view seems to be that the CV Nokton is a little sharper wide open, and doesn't have as much focus shift (perhaps none). OTOH it doesn't have quite the same funky Sonnar bokeh.

Since you already have a 50 that's close to technical perfection, the question is what are you buying it for? If you want a fast but small 50 for general use that's got a good sharp central area at wide apertures and is super portable then maybe you want the CV (though personally for that brief I'd get a Loxia and put up with it being a little slower)

But if you want the character of the old Sonnar (without the lack of contrast of an old lens, good though Sonnars were for contrast — and also without focus shift on your Sony body because you can focus at working aperture) I think I'd get the C-Sonnar (though isn't there an old CV Nokton before the Aspherical that is basically a true Sonnar design?)

Another option is the Jupiter 3+ I think Lensbaby are marketing them, and they are made in the old Kiev factory that made Jupiter 3s. Like the C-Sonnar it has modern coatings and possibly some other improvements, and is half the price of the C-Sonnar.

Sep 05, 2016 at 06:34 AM
robgo2
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · C-sonnar!

DavidBM wrote:
Since you already have a 50 that's close to technical perfection, the question is what are you buying it for? If you want a fast but small 50 for general use that's got a good sharp central area at wide apertures and is super portable then maybe you want the CV (though personally for that brief I'd get a Loxia and put up with it being a little slower)

No doubt the Loxia 50 is an excellent lens. I own one and like it very much. But the CV Nokton is just a bit better in a number of ways (faster, sharper, nicer bokeh), and it is definitely usable at f1.5. The Loxia has slightly more native pop due to its higher intrinsic contrast, but the Nokton can be just as 3D with a little work in PP. It has become my lens of choice for 50mm. One thing that I really love about the Nokton's rendering is that highlights sometimes have a very subtle glow that can be magical, as in the portrait that I posted above.

I have no experience with the ZM 50/1.5 or the C-Sonnar and cannot comment on their performance (although I am not wild about the wide open bokeh in a couple of Gregg's images.) No doubt they are very fine lenses as well.

Rob

Sep 05, 2016 at 03:07 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · C-sonnar!

I agree that the C-sonnar (that's the ZM 1.5) has bokeh which is, um, matter of taste; it also has a lot of field curvature at wide apertures and other aberrations (a lot of SA wide open).

Some love it: I've certainly enjoyed the look from my old Jupiter (same design roughly, lousy coatings) salvaged from my old Kiev...

Guy, whom I was replying to, wasn't looking for a technically great 50. He already has an amazing one which he will continue to use for the bulk of his shooting. He's looking for an historic, character look for occasional use, or so I read him. So the undoubted merits of the CV aspherical are exactly why, for him, it may not be the choice he is after...

robgo2 wrote:
No doubt the Loxia 50 is an excellent lens. I own one and like it very much. But the CV Nokton is just a bit better in a number of ways (faster, sharper, nicer bokeh), and it is definitely usable at f1.5. The Loxia has slightly more native pop due to its higher intrinsic contrast, but the Nokton can be just as 3D with a little work in PP. It has become my lens of choice for 50mm. One thing that I really love about the Nokton's rendering is that highlights sometimes have a very subtle glow that can be
...Show more

Sep 05, 2016 at 04:17 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · C-sonnar!

The ZM bokeh is actually smoother at f/1.7 or f/2, but of course you lose some blur.
I don't think Guy is a fan of onion ring patterns and the CV 50/1.5 has it while the ZM 50C is completely free of it.
LoCA also greatly improves at f/1.7-2 and the center gets very sharp.
I usually shoot at f/1.7 and get the best of both worlds.

For pure character and fun, I would recommend the ZM but perhaps renting one first could be the wiser way to go.

Sep 05, 2016 at 04:33 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · C-sonnar!

Fred Miranda wrote:
The ZM bokeh is actually smoother at f/1.7 or f/2, but of course you lose some blur.
I don't think Guy is a fan of onion ring patterns and the CV 50/1.5 has it while the ZM 50C is completely free of it.
LoCA also greatly improves at f/1.7-2 and the center gets very sharp.
I usually shoot at f/1.7 and get the best of both worlds.

For pure character and fun, I would recommend the ZM but perhaps renting one first could be the wiser way to go.

Fred, I have not yet encountered onion rings in the bokeh, but I don't often shoot at f1.5. I'll keep an eye out for them, but there's no way they would deter me from using the Nokton.

Rob

Sep 05, 2016 at 04:57 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · C-sonnar!

I at least don't want onion rings and I do want funky. I'm a little price sensitive on this lens at least. I already got a masterful kit so funky is good. My problem is the ZM 50 is pretty pricey used.

Sep 05, 2016 at 06:16 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · C-sonnar!

GMPhotography wrote:
I at least don't want onion rings and I do want funky. I'm a little price sensitive on this lens at least. I already got a masterful kit so funky is good. My problem is the ZM 50 is pretty pricey used.

Well, FWIW, ever since I saw Fred's post about onion rings, I have been traipsing around my house and backyard trying to produce them deliberately with my Nokton. I've been shooting at f1.5 looking for sparkly background highlights. So far, no such luck. There are ringed highlights that are mostly round, but definitely no onion rings. If anyone has examples of them with the Nokton 50/1.5 Aspherical, I would like to see them. And I should think that if they do sometimes occur, they must be pretty rare and, hence, not a cause for concern.

Rob

Edited on Sep 05, 2016 at 08:26 PM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2016 at 06:42 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · C-sonnar!

Thanks Rob

Sep 05, 2016 at 06:56 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · C-sonnar!

DavidBM wrote:
I haven't used either (though I have used an original Sonnar and a Jupiter-3) but I think the view seems to be that the CV Nokton is a little sharper wide open, and doesn't have as much focus shift (perhaps none). OTOH it doesn't have quite the same funky Sonnar bokeh.

Since you already have a 50 that's close to technical perfection, the question is what are you buying it for? If you want a fast but small 50 for general use that's got a good sharp central area at wide apertures and is super portable then maybe you want the
...Show more

Lomography does the marketing of the new Jupiter 3+, here is the link. The lens is made by Zenith Krasnogorsk, and the factory is located in Krasnogorsk outside of Moscow, Russia. The Jupiter 3+ has modern coatings and improved mechanical quality.

Sep 05, 2016 at 07:16 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · C-sonnar!

Greggf and Ole Andre, very nice images. I think I like the bokeh of the C-Sonnar better of the two. Also I like the sharpness of the Nokton in Greggf's portraits, and the persons are nicely outlined against the bacground. Both lenses have excellent colours.

Sep 05, 2016 at 07:42 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · C-sonnar!

Thanks Bjorn! I was 100% wrong! I remembered that it was made in one of the former soviet facilities that made original Jupiters, but I got the wrong one: and the Ukraine is a long way from Moscow!

It would be interesting to see it compared with the C-Sonnar - it could be quite similar.

bjornthun wrote:
Lomography does the marketing of the new Jupiter 3+, here is the link. The lens is made by Zenith Krasnogorsk, and the factory is located in Krasnogorsk outside of Moscow, Russia. The Jupiter 3+ has modern coatings and improved mechanical quality.

Sep 05, 2016 at 08:11 PM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · C-sonnar!

The other option if you're budget constrained is the Canon 50 1.5 ltm: it's an old lens at this point, but mechanically much more sound then the Jupiter-3. Be careful of its contemporary rival the Nikkor 50 1.4 in Nikkor-S mount, even though it's excellent and much easier to find: it can't focus on mirrorless without an expensive helicoid adapter.

Sep 05, 2016 at 08:17 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.