Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              49      
       51              74       75       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.50 #1 · p.50 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bluloo wrote:
You can definitely move the flexible spot, off center and still have good AF.

Other factors will impact ability to AF as well.
For example is the lighting good, what's the aperture, and is the detail you're focusing on vertical or horizontal?

Yes and only in very low light, I keep my center point as close to the center as possible.

Sep 15, 2016 at 06:26 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.50 #2 · p.50 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I have informed TechArt Pro that removing the battery and re-inserting it when not using the camera (camera in off position) stops the battery drainage. Let's hope they will be able to fix this bug for the next update.

Sep 15, 2016 at 06:28 PM
seanj
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.50 #3 · p.50 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I don't understand why they built it so that the update happens when I turn the camera off. I'd prefer to have all adapter action happen when the camera is on and no activity to work when it's off. Then there would be no reason for drainage when you turn your camera off.

Sep 15, 2016 at 06:37 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.50 #4 · p.50 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

My TAP arrives tomorrow apparently ahead of schedule . ( Again thanks to BrandonSi who redirected me to Amazon.com for this purchase) and thanks to Amazon Prime for two-day shipping. I plan to use TAP with my Voightlander Nokton F1.4 + Leicaist Nikon AI lens to Leica M adapter ( somewhere en-route between China and USA)

Any advice for quick lessons-learned setup and usage for the A7rII ? Thanks in advance

Sep 15, 2016 at 07:00 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.50 #5 · p.50 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

New life for the Apo-Lanthar 180!

My Leicaist adapter (slightly nicer build than the K&F concepts, but the latter are half the price, and fit fine on TAP, and seem to be even and the right length) for M42 has arrived, and it has breathed new life into the Apo Lanthar.

My only gripe with the Apo Lanthar 4/180 is the helicoid is built to give precise focus as closer distance, but it's very difficult to make small enough adjustments at long distances to give precise focus - I've always suspected (as I've said before, sorry) that this explains its reputation for being merely fine at long distances - people are focussing roughly, but not exactly accurately here.

But TAP is amazing. It makes tiny differences between long distance focusing settings that I find really hard to make manually given the way the helicoid works. Brilliant! Of course with a lens this long the infinity setting will only work for quite long distances, and intermediate distances have be be roughly pre-focussed before fine tuning with TAP. But that's actually, for me, a pretty intuitive way of working...

Sep 15, 2016 at 07:11 PM
MIRANDA1
• • •
p.50 #6 · p.50 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

LBJ2 wrote:
My TAP arrives tomorrow apparently ahead of schedule . ( Again thanks to BrandonSi who redirected me to Amazon.com for this purchase) and thanks to Amazon Prime for two-day shipping. I plan to use TAP with my Voightlander Nokton F1.4 + Leicaist Nikon AI lens to Leica M adapter ( somewhere en-route between China and USA)

Any advice for quick lessons-learned setup and usage for the A7rII ? Thanks in advance

Actually I was surprised how quickly they delivered on my order. I ordered directly from the Techartpro website on Sunday night of this week and I received notification it shipped on Tuesday, might receive it for the weekend. They have also been very responsive every time I've emailed them.

Sep 15, 2016 at 07:19 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.50 #7 · p.50 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bluloo wrote:
You can definitely move the flexible spot, off center and still have good AF.

Other factors will impact ability to AF as well.
For example is the lighting good, what's the aperture, and is the detail you're focusing on vertical or horizontal?

I haven't had a chance to try it in daylight yet. But it seems that in any light, I can't get it to focus away from the center of the camera. I can do it vertically up and down, but not mid to extreme left or right. I can go a couple clicks left or right, but that's about it.

Here's a video.

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

Sep 15, 2016 at 07:27 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.50 #8 · p.50 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

mjbetch wrote:
I haven't had a chance to try it in daylight yet. But it seems that in any light, I can't get it to focus away from the center of the camera. I can do it vertically up and down, but not mid to extreme left or right. I can go a couple clicks left or right, but that's about it.

Here's a video.

Sorry if you've mentioned this before or not, but AF-C right? And you should try using the medium or large spots and see if it makes a difference. You're on v4?

I can tell you the more light, the better it works.. definitely try daylight when you can. Center spot works best, and the outer spots are not as good as center by any means (in my experience, maybe 50-60% as effective at locking on, but they do work.)

Sep 15, 2016 at 07:38 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.50 #9 · p.50 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

DavidBM wrote:
But TAP is amazing. It makes tiny differences between long distance focusing settings that I find really hard to make manually given the way the helicoid works. Brilliant! Of course with a lens this long the infinity setting will only work for quite long distances, and intermediate distances have be be roughly pre-focussed before fine tuning with TAP. But that's actually, for me, a pretty intuitive way of working...

Glad to hear it! I was eyeing a 90 Lanthar the other day.. and FWIW, I rough focus most of time anyway, even with a 35 or 50mm.. it's just more natural to me.

Sep 15, 2016 at 07:42 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.50 #10 · p.50 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

LBJ2 wrote:

You're welcome! Excited for you to finally get it.

Always be at f/2 on camera for shooting, and update to v4 right away.. don't even bother with v3, v4 is a huge improvement. Have reasonable expectations.. if you've used a metabones III for Canon, it's slightly better.. think very low end of native e-mount performance.

Sep 15, 2016 at 07:47 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.50 #11 · p.50 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

BrandonSi wrote:
Sorry if you've mentioned this before or not, but AF-C right? And you should try using the medium or large spots and see if it makes a difference. You're on v4?

I can tell you the more light, the better it works.. definitely try daylight when you can. Center spot works best, and the outer spots are not as good as center by any means (in my experience, maybe 50-60% as effective at locking on, but they do work.)

Suspect trouble is both on AF-S and AF-C on all small, medium, and large spots. Just updated to v4 today. If it's normal then I'm really not worried about it. I usually just focus and recompose anyways but of course that not as good as outright selecting the focus spot.

Sep 15, 2016 at 07:49 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.50 #12 · p.50 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

edit: delete.

Sep 15, 2016 at 09:14 PM
bluloo
• • • •
p.50 #13 · p.50 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

mjbetch wrote:

Here's a video.

In addition to what's been suggested, AF works best on vertical lines/surfaces, and with higher contrast. It looked like there were several horizontal area focus attempts, and there seemed to be more than a bit of camera motion (which will change the ability of the AF to lock).

Let us know how you fare in better light.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:07 PM
bvphotos
• • •
p.50 #14 · p.50 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I received mine today. After upgrading firmware to version 4.0, the AF speed is very good. I've tried both the CV 75/1.8 and the CV 15 III. Now I need to get some LM adapters for my other manual lenses. The TAP is breathing new life into a lot of manual lenses, especially the LM mount ones.

Sep 15, 2016 at 10:55 PM
mjbetch
• •
p.50 #15 · p.50 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bluloo wrote:
In addition to what's been suggested, AF works best on vertical lines/surfaces, and with higher contrast. It looked like there were several horizontal area focus attempts, and there seemed to be more than a bit of camera motion (which will change the ability of the AF to lock).

Let us know how you fare in better light.

I tried it again outside today. Same exact thing.

Is anyone able to focus extreme left or right while holding the camera horizontally/landscape?

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:45 PM
seanj
• •
p.50 #16 · p.50 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I just tried to move my flexible spot (M) to the right and left and was unable to acquire focus. It's pretty fast on M for the center.

(FYI - this is using the Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II)

Edited on Sep 16, 2016 at 04:37 PM · View previous versions

Sep 16, 2016 at 03:21 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.50 #17 · p.50 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

seanj wrote:
I just tried to move my flexible spot (M) to the right and left and was unable to acquire focus. It's pretty fast on M for the center.

I've found how far off centre you can use the spot depends not only on light levels etc, but also on the lens. I can go way off with c-sonnar, c/y 100 and cv 2.5/75; but for example my OM 3.5/28 refuses to focus off centre. No idea what's going on. Maybe the ray angle?

Sep 16, 2016 at 04:29 PM
Jack Thompson
• •
p.50 #18 · p.50 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
I have informed TechArt Pro that removing the battery and re-inserting it when not using the camera (camera in off position) stops the battery drainage. Let's hope they will be able to fix this bug for the next update.

Hey Fred,

I'm sorry, I was just a little bit confused by this. Do you mean when the camera is not in use and off you just pull the battery out to avoid it being drained (no battery drainage if there is no battery to be drained) and as long as there is a battery in the body, it will be slowly drained?

Or do you mean pulling the batter out and putting it back in when the camera is off will stop the battery drainage even when the battery is now back in the body?

Sorry for the confusion.

Sep 16, 2016 at 04:53 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.50 #19 · p.50 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Jack Thompson wrote:
Or do you mean pulling the batter out and putting it back in when the camera is off will stop the battery drainage even when the battery is now back in the body?

Exactly. If you put a fresh battery and turn the camera off, there will be no drainage.
Alternately, if you have been using the camera and turn it off, drainage will occur UNLESS you remove the battery and re-insert it.
Somehow, physically removing the battery and re-insterting it completely cuts the connection with the adapter when the camera is in "off" position.

Sep 16, 2016 at 05:13 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.50 #20 · p.50 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Now I have the Leica Tele Elmar M 135/4, the NIB Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 Ultron, but no Techart adapter yet

Sep 16, 2016 at 05:52 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.