Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              29      
       31              74       75       end

Archive 2016 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

bluloo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #1 · p.30 #1 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

I have a custom button for auto/manual ibis and another to set the focal length. Takes a few seconds for each lens.
I don't like the TAP implementation.

Sep 05, 2016 at 09:03 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #2 · p.30 #2 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

BrandonSi wrote:
Anyone figured out a good way to chance IBIS focal length with the TAP attached? I seem to always go into auto.. or is this when it's a good idea to setup the focal length with the in-camera aperture value / fire a frame method?

Set IBIS to manual, the Down Button to IBIS select ON or OFF, and C3 to select IBIS Focal length. Works for me.
Thanks bluloo. I just added to the Right Button: SteadyShot Adjust. So to use the proper names:

Right Button: SteadyShot Adjust • Auto or Manual
Down Button: SteadyShot • ON or OFF
Custom Button 3: SteadyS. Focal Len. • From 8mm to 1000mm when SteadyShot Adjust is set to Manual. Otherwise Auto.

All set in Menu 2/7/Custom Key Settings

K-H.

Sep 05, 2016 at 09:26 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.30 #3 · p.30 #3 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Set IBIS to manual, the Down Button to IBIS select ON or OFF, and C3 to select IBIS Focal length. Works for me.
Thanks bluloo. I just added to the Right Button: SteadyShot Adjust. So to use the proper names:

Right Button: SteadyShot Adjust • Auto or Manual
Down Button: SteadyShot • ON or OFF
Custom Button 3: SteadyS. Focal Len. • From 8mm to 1000mm when SteadyShot Adjust is set to Manual. Otherwise Auto.

All set in Menu 2/7/Custom Key Settings

K-H.

Thanks..! I had the keys bound OK, but normally when I switch to MF mode IBIS turns to 'manual' and I always use C3 for focal length, and then IBIS just goes back to 'Auto' in AF mode.. I didn't make that connection that I had to manually put IBIS in 'manual' mode to get it to work with the TAP, normally I never think about doing that.. It's all set now, thanks.

Sep 05, 2016 at 11:42 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.30 #4 · p.30 #4 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

David,
In very low light it benefits from placing the focusing point in the middle. Also changing it to 'large' helps a lot.

DavidBM wrote:
Yes that's right Fred, it was set to CDAF. I wonder how long for? It's not like the AF on AF lenses has been annoying me!

Anyhow all sorted out. Thanks! The only lens I've been using it on so far is the CV 2.5/75 and it seems to work fine, especially if you pre-focus a bit. I have adapters for c/y and OM coming, so I'll have more to say then (and a C-Sonnar in the mail!)

This could be an expensive acquisition, in that it makes various older lenses I wasn't tempted by before (like the C-sonnar which I've always
...Show more

Sep 05, 2016 at 01:18 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.30 #5 · p.30 #5 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Just noticed we get proper TTL metering as well with the adapter.. which I guess makes sense since it's a function of the sensor, but I wasn't sure since I was setting aperture manually on the lens and leaving the camera at f/2.

FWIW, I'm using a Godox TT685S.. got proper exposure (well, I didn't meter it, but looking at the images they were fine) from f/2 through f/11 (stopped testing at that point).

Sep 05, 2016 at 02:30 PM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.30 #6 · p.30 #6 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

DavidBM wrote:
It's nic and sharp for landscape, but it's performance with backlight is not amazing, and may cut against the benefit if the sunstars...and it flares badly with grazing light.

Thanks again, David. I wasn't aware of that particular weakness, which is a deal breaker. You just save me from making a purchase I probably would have regretted.

Sep 05, 2016 at 05:19 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.30 #7 · p.30 #7 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Chris_88 wrote:
Thanks again, David. I wasn't aware of that particular weakness, which is a deal breaker. You just save me from making a purchase I probably would have regretted.

Well you could always on sell it. Grazing light can be dealt with your hand (or even a bigger lens hood than the cute but too small to be useful one that it comes with). I haven't seen how it flares with the sun in the frame for a sunstar - I was just pointing out than in general the coatings are not the most modern, and I've noticed it is susceptible to flare. But sometimes lenses with a tendency to flare can cope well with the sun right in the frame.. And it is by far the cheapest way to get a super sharp stopped down telephoto. (consider also the zeiss c/y 100 3.5, though the sunstars aren't great). But yeah, if lack of contrast in tricky flare inducing conditions is a deal breaker for you then this isn't the lens for you.

Sep 05, 2016 at 08:20 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.30 #8 · p.30 #8 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Chris:
I took the CV 2.5/75 out in the blazing sun just to remind myself.
As I recalled, it does flare in the form of overall contrast drop with the sun outside the frame: but it is pretty easily prevented with a hand or card or something.

Sun in the frame though and it does quite well when there's a starburst. Here's a dull test to show the starburst against dark backlit branches. The contrast drop is not too bad. (f8)

There's quite a lot of LOCA wide open and at F2.8, and some purple fringing. The latter can be effectively dealt with in LR.

Chris_88 wrote:

Dull test of CV 2.5/75 @ f8 show flare levels with sunburst

Sep 05, 2016 at 09:36 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.30 #9 · p.30 #9 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

For landscapes the ZM 85/4 is unbeatable, and it has 10 blades.
The 100/3.5 is also amazing.

DavidBM wrote:
Chris:
As I recalled, it does flare in the form of overall contrast drop with the sun outside the frame: but it is pretty easily prevented with a hand or card or something.

Sun in the frame though and it does quite well when there's a starburst. Here's a dull test to show the starburst against dark backlit branches. The contrast drop is not too bad. (f8)

There's quite a lot of LOCA wide open and at F2.8, and some purple fringing. The latter can be effectively dealt with in
...Show more

Sep 05, 2016 at 10:23 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.30 #10 · p.30 #10 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Yep.love the 4/85 though I dont own it - borrowed it a while.
The 3.5/100 is almost as good .. But the sunstars are much less nice.

I'm waiting to see what the new Loxias are like. If they are a lot bigger than the 4/85 (because faster, longer or both) I might then spring for my own 4/85. Otherwise I'll pick up a Lox: if they do it as a redesign and keep it relatively slow it could be a reference lens. Think about how good the 2.8/21 is, given the difficulties of a 21! If they put that design effort into a short tele, the easiest lenses to make sharp, it could be astonishing.

Fred Miranda wrote:

Sep 05, 2016 at 10:53 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.30 #11 · p.30 #11 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Agree with Fred the ZM 85 is just flat out amazing for landscape. It beats my GM 85 in the corners . Nice and small as well

Sep 05, 2016 at 11:24 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.30 #12 · p.30 #12 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

GMPhotography wrote:
Agree with Fred the ZM 85 is just flat out amazing for landscape. It beats my GM 85 in the corners . Nice and small as well

I wonder how it compares with the Leica 90/2 apo and Leica 90/4 macro elmar. I remember reading one comparison with the 90/2 and I think I remember that the Leica might have had a tad more contrast, but that it was splitting hairs and the Leica is a lot more $$.....

Sep 05, 2016 at 11:53 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.30 #13 · p.30 #13 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Luvwine wrote:
I wonder how it compares with the Leica 90/2 apo and Leica 90/4 macro elmar. I remember reading one comparison with the 90/2 and I think I remember that the Leica might have had a tad more contrast, but that it was splitting hairs and the Leica is a lot more $$.....

I think Jim Kasson's terrific blog site has a comparison of the Leica 2/90 Apo and the ZM 4/85

Summary here:

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=9132

Sep 05, 2016 at 11:58 PM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.30 #14 · p.30 #14 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

DavidBM wrote:
Chris:

There's quite a lot of LOCA wide open and at F2.8, and some purple fringing. The latter can be effectively dealt with in
...Show more

Thanks for this test, David. Much appreciated. That sunstars looks good (as one would expect given the 10 blades). I don't mind some LOCA wide open, but with me shooting plenty of sunrises and sunsets (with the sun not always centered), I7m slightly weary of a drop in contrast. I'll probably check out a sample, when I get to a used camera store the next time.

Fred Miranda wrote:

Thanks for the reminder, Fred. I have the Elmarit 90 2.8, which I love and keep using at least for landscape shots, despite having the Batis 85. I know 75 and 90 are kinda close, but for me they are different enough to justify having one lens at each FL. I regret selling my Summarit 75. I might have to get another one at some point.

Sep 06, 2016 at 06:52 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.30 #15 · p.30 #15 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

DavidBM wrote:
I think Jim Kasson's terrific blog site has a comparison of the Leica 2/90 Apo and the ZM 4/85

Summary here:

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=9132

Yes, that was the one I had seen where he says the Summicron had a touch more contrast in the corner crops at F8. I doubt there is a practical difference, but also nothing that would argue for a switch for me away from the Leica 90 AA other than weight savings. A comparison with the Leica 90/4 macro would be the more natural comparison though I would think.

Sep 06, 2016 at 06:54 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.30 #16 · p.30 #16 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Luvwine wrote:

I got my ZM for 600 dollars with the hood. That's a steal and it outperforms my GM 85 so I'm thrilled to stay in the Zeiss camp as all my lenses match it. Works really nice with the TechArt in good light. I'm kinda over Leica pricing to be honest new or used.

Sep 06, 2016 at 09:43 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.30 #17 · p.30 #17 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

GMPhotography wrote:
I got my ZM for 600 dollars with the hood. That's a steal and it outperforms my GM 85 so I'm thrilled to stay in the Zeiss camp as all my lenses match it. Works really nice with the TechArt in good light. I'm kinda over Leica pricing to be honest new or used.

Well Guy, nobody is perfect. I really like the Leica lenses I have and suspect the Techart adapter will make them even more useful on the Sony body. Having said that, the Zeiss ZM lenses appear to be great and much more economical to own. You own both the 85 GM and the Zeiss ZM 85/4. To me, the GM is larger than I would like and I suspect that with the Leica 90/2 I have most of the benefits of both of those lenses in a lens smaller than the GM but larger than the ZM. Now, the GM autofocus is better than that which the Techart adapter gets me and I don't have eye AF (a big deal), but still for me as a hobbyist, I don't see the compelling need and I bet between the GM and the ZM you have as much dough in it as I do in my pricey Leica.

Sep 06, 2016 at 10:31 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.30 #18 · p.30 #18 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Luvwine wrote:
Well Guy, nobody is perfect. I really like the Leica lenses I have and suspect the Techart adapter will make them even more useful on the Sony body. Having said that, the Zeiss ZM lenses appear to be great and much more economical to own. You own both the 85 GM and the Zeiss ZM 85/4. To me, the GM is larger than I would like and I suspect that with the Leica 90/2 I have most of the benefits of both of those lenses in a lens smaller than the GM but larger than the ZM. Now, the
...Show more

Is the Leica 90AA much better than the 90/2.5 Summarit aside from better LoCA performance? My 90/2.5 is screaming sharp at close distances but didn't perform well at infinity distances even at f/5.6. Wide open, the ZM 85 performs way better at mid and edges. The only lens coming close to this performance is the CY 100/3.5.

IMO, for portraits, the 85GM takes the cake (It's currently my only big lens) and the ZM85 is brilliant for landscapes. Sharp edge to edge with great micro-contrast and minimal aberrations. The 85GM is also incredible for landscapes but its size is less than ideal for long hikes.

Sep 06, 2016 at 10:38 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.30 #19 · p.30 #19 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Well they are used for diffrent shooting for sure. As far as Leica I had almost every lens they made back in the day, all very good ones as well. But honestly today's pricing just keeps me away and that's me as I just have too much gear to buy and it cuts into the amount of buying power. As far as quality Leica makes some of the best glass bar none. My problem with Leica goes past their lenses as in comparison with pricing versus sensors just does not compute for me budget wise. I'm just not willing to pay for Leicas name anymore. But hey many are and more power to them. It's like me going and buying medium format again , my clients could care less and that's a whole lot of money for them to give a rats arsh to put out. One reason I got out among personal health reasons with my wife. Which keeps me in budget mode as 8 years of her health issues is not a cake walk with money.

Sep 06, 2016 at 10:42 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.30 #20 · p.30 #20 · Techart PRO AF adapter now In Stock!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Is the Leica 90AA much better than the 90/2.5 Summarit aside from better LoCA performance? My 90/2.5 is screaming sharp at close distances but didn't perform well at infinity distances even at f/5.6. Wide open, the ZM 85 performs better at mid and edges. IMO, for portraits, the 85GM takes the cake (It's currently my only big lens) and the ZM85 is brilliant for landscapes. Sharp edge to edge with great micro-contrast and minimal aberrations. The 85GM is also incredible for landscapes but its size is less than ideal for long hikes.

Yea why I have the 85 ZM is the GM 85 is not landscape friendly for hiking. I carry one big lens only the 50 1.4 or I can take the GM zoom but I like having the 50 more , it's just so damn sharp

Sep 06, 2016 at 10:44 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.