New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

I ordered a replacement LCD for my A7. I got the old LCD apart to the point of needing to remove the ribbon cables. How do the ribbon cable holders work (see pics)? I could not figure out how to 'flip them up'.

Also I could not figure out how to remove the LCD from the frame that it is in. It seems pretty well stuck in there.

Last of all, I presume that circuit board glued to the LCD needs moved over to the new one? Any ideas on removing it safely?

As of now, I have it put together with the original LCD in and it still works, so that's a plus. And I didn't lose the plastic spacer or any screws... yet.

Thanks!!!
Michelle

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:06 AM
tomrock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

It's tough to tell from this picture but the connector on the left looks like it slides away from you and the one to the right looks like it slides to the right.

If you have to move the circuit board, slip something thin (like a knife but not metal) under it and pry gently.

I'm just guessing. No warranty is implied :-)

Mar 23, 2016 at 03:01 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

Open the white latches, then pull ribbon out

Mar 23, 2016 at 03:27 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

I thought about taking apart DH's X-Box in the interest of finding a ribbon cable connector to practice disassembling.

Mar 23, 2016 at 03:30 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

john_edwards wrote:
Open the white latches, then pull ribbon out

How do they open? Does the one on the right go up and to the right? Or is there a little latch piece on them? I could not get them to flip up easily.

Mar 23, 2016 at 03:31 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

Someone sent me a link to a very helpful video - not an A7, but the same type of connector & sticky glue on the LCD frame.

Mar 23, 2016 at 04:40 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

Ok, so it's just those little tiny reddish-tan strips that flip up and down to release the ribbon cables. I was trying to flip the whole light beige piece, didn't realize the tiny thin strips are the hinged portion. They do flip easily with a toothpick, and the ribbon cables aren't easy to reach, but the can be gently worked loose with a zip tie.

Now the LCD is out. Now to see if I can get the frame off...

Mar 23, 2016 at 04:50 PM
Slalom
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

Lens rentals did a tear down on an A7x if that is worth any thing, Good luck otherwise.

Mar 23, 2016 at 06:25 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

Thanks, I looked at that one but they didn't disassemble the LCD. The worst part going back together is getting those flex ribbon cables back into their slots. I am not sure what the smartest/easiest way to do it is, but I do know I have not stumbled across it yet.

Mar 23, 2016 at 06:27 PM
YY_DROIDX

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

The connector is called ZIF, the cable is called a FPC, the brown tip of FPC is a stiffener to help easy insert. To put it back together:

1. Do NOT use ziptie, it will easily damage signal trace on FPC, which are 50-100um thin.
2. Grab two "ears" of brown stiffener, make sure reddish strip is in UP postion, insert FPC in slot slowly.
3. You want to make sure FPC tail goes all the way into connector. There is usually a guide line or ground open (exposed copper) for alignment. Look for them, or take a close picture of circuit board, and I can tell you where to align them.
4. To close the strip, do NOT use toothpick. The stril is holding onto connector by very thin palastic. Any uneven pressure will break it, and it is not fixable. Use finger to press on entire strip slowly.
5. Was there a yellow colored tape over strip? If so, hopefully you still have it and can put it back on.

If you arent sure about something, just ask before attempt to force it together, Have fun

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:39 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

Thanks! The main issue is that the folding LCD assembly doesn't open up to let you get to the cables. There's no way to get hold of anything on both sides, or to necessarily get a finger in there to flip open the ZIFs. The innermost ZIF, you can't even get one finger on the FPC to reseat the cable. This is the toughest part about it - the closed access.

Mar 24, 2016 at 08:31 AM
YY_DROIDX

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

, totaly understand your pain, I design these electronics for living, and factory always tells me that they cant assemble my design together, repair is often impossible...

I bet the cable was inserted to display first, and connect to mainboard as final assembly.

Mar 24, 2016 at 09:43 AM
Duckysaysquack
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

Hi Michelle,

I've replaced 3 of these before due to bad scratches. Good job in getting this far without any help!

1. You need a thin small flat tool for the next few steps. I personally use a guitar pick, and it's the best tool I've found. I would not recommend a knife as it is too hard and may crack/cut stuff. Also remove the grey pad on the screen to put on the new one.

2. To get the circuit board off, you simply need to stick the guitar pick underneath one of the corners (I recommend the top right 90 degree corner). The PCB is just glued to the back of the LCD via double sided tape. It's strong tape but once you get the guitar pick inside, just keep jamming the guitar pick around the PCB until you get it off. I would also try to save the double sided tape if you can since you will need it later.

3. The hard part is getting the black bezel off the actual LCD. Everything is attached to each other via strong glue, so no screws or clips are needed. The actual screen is a hard plastic glued to the LCD (the metallic rectangle) and the edges of the plastic screen is glued to the black bezel frame along the edges. The easiest way I've found is to start at the front of the screen and stick a guitar pick in the long side of the bezel (the length areas - the side with the Sony logo, not the width). The bezel is longer here and more pliable and you can get a guitar pick in there easier.

4. Once the guitar pick is in, you need to work the guitar pick around the entire edge of the screen edges to cut apart the glue. The glue is a black sticky strip. A blow dryer or heat-gun set on low might help loosen it, but I was afraid of damaging the LCD. If you don't care and are gonna throw it away anyways, then dont worry about it. Be careful not to break the bezel as it is fragile and you will need it.

5. Once you get the whole pick around the screen, the LCD and screen should come out and you can put in your new screen. The main problem here is the glue. I think it's best to remove the black strips and they are no longer sticky. You will need to apply fresh glue to the back of the black bezel. I've used super glue but excess glue always gets on top of the new screen and makes marks. You will have to use acetone to remove it. I've done this enough times to know to use VERY little super glue, but if it's your first time, then maybe try some other glue that is less messy but strong.

6. Reassembly is fairly straight forward. The main difficulty is the PCB cables. I've noticed it's MUCH easier to reattach the double sided tape to the back of the PCB and attach main cable that connects to the body FIRST, THE press the PCB to the back of the new LCD. Then slide the two small LCD cables into the PCB. Trying to attach the main body cable to the PCB while attached to the screen is a major PITA. Remember to always clip the cable snaps in place once the cable is in, this is important. Make sure the cables are all the way inserted in first. There are two small tabs on each side of the cable for you to use a small slim tool to use to push in the cable.

I wish I took pictures the last time I did this, but I didn't. But good luck!

Mar 24, 2016 at 09:52 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

Thanks so much! I ended up working the bezel loose in one spot, then carefully getting a bit of unwaxed floss under it, then zipping around with the floss to get the LCD out of the plastic. A guitar pick would have worked well. I need to work more at the last step - reassembling those PCB cables. I'll try again the way you are suggesting.

Worst case, the guys I bought the LCD from will assemble it for me for free (just shipping costs), so that's an option if my monkey paws can't get this working.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:19 AM
Duckysaysquack
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

mco_970 wrote:
Thanks so much! I ended up working the bezel loose in one spot, then carefully getting a bit of unwaxed floss under it, then zipping around with the floss to get the LCD out of the plastic. A guitar pick would have worked well. I need to work more at the last step - reassembling those PCB cables. I'll try again the way you are suggesting.

Worst case, the guys I bought the LCD from will assemble it for me for free (just shipping costs), so that's an option if my monkey paws can't get this working.

FLOSS! That's brilliant! I never thought of that! You glued the new LCD back on without any problems? Usually I always have one corner or edge popping up and the screen isn't completely flush with the body or something. As for the PCB, try add tape to back of PCB > attach cable ribbon from body to PCB > attach two LCD cable ribbons to PCB > press the PCB to back of LCD (the tiny thin ribbon needs to be folded to fit) > snap the LCD back onto the assembly > screw in.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:34 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

I didn't glue it in yet. I am going to look through DH's stuff (he does fiber optic splicing) - I think I can steal some thin foam adhesive tape they use for their applications. I hate to glue the LCD in, in case it needs to be removed again.

Meh. I just can't seem to get all three cables in at once. I close it up, it doesn't work (the screen gets brighter, but does not display data), and then when I reopen, one of the cables is loose. Also found that you can snap one side of the cable holders closed, but the other end won't necessarily be closed. These things are a little tricky.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:51 AM
Duckysaysquack
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

mco_970 wrote:
I didn't glue it in yet. I am going to look through DH's stuff (he does fiber optic splicing) - I think I can steal some thin foam adhesive tape they use for their applications. I hate to glue the LCD in, in case it needs to be removed again.

Meh. I just can't seem to get all three cables in at once. I close it up, it doesn't work (the screen gets brighter, but does not display data), and then when I reopen, one of the cables is loose. Also found that you can snap one side of the cable
...Show more

Use the tabs on each side of the cables to make sure they are all pushed in. Afterwards, THEN snap them closed. Again, the first cable should be the cable to the body. Then the two cables go in.

Mar 26, 2016 at 09:54 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

when the ribbon cable is properly aligned & inserted, there is very little resistance to close the locking strip. if you have difficulty closing the locking strip, then recheck the ribbon for proper alignment and insertion.

try taping a long strip or two of scotch tape to the black tab & cable to aid with the cable insertion. take some fingers dexterity in such tight space, but you can do it 😊

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:07 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

p.s. i vote for the creation of a DIY forum for helpful threads as such. of course there would have to be disclaimer of "use at your own risk and no guarantee implies" 😊

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:12 PM
leetmode
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Has anyone replaced Sony A7x LCD? I could use some help

tntcorp wrote:
p.s. i vote for the creation of a DIY forum for helpful threads as such. of course there would have to be disclaimer of "use at your own risk and no guarantee implies" 😊

That's a great idea, hopefully Fred will consider it.

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.