New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

Martin Marian

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

Is there such an adapter? it would not need to have RF coupling - the lenses would act like they do on Sony or Fuji. Do these adapters exist?

Mar 15, 2015 at 08:55 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

Martin Marian wrote:
Is there such an adapter? it would not need to have RF coupling - the lenses would act like they do on Sony or Fuji. Do these adapters exist?

no, the difference in film plane to flange distance between m-mount and contax g mount doesn't allow room for and adapter with a focus ring, which would be necessary since contax g lenses don't have focus rings.

there are a few companies that will convert contax g lenses to m-mount including the rangefinder coupling, the conversions are quite expensive though.

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:22 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

With the prices of conversation to M mount in mind the zeiss ZM's seems like the most obvious choice.

In my opinion only the 16mm would be interesting to change to M mount. On the leica forum someone had in changed and used it on the MM. Looked great but don't know if it was that good on a color camera.

Mar 15, 2015 at 10:34 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

This guy was offering conversions at one point. There's nothing in his listing now except already converted lenses (45 and 28) but it might be worthwhile contacting him.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rework-lens/m.html?item=321093674161&hash=item4ac2aca4b1&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Edit: this is the old listing for conversion only
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contax-G-G1-G2-Carl-Zeiss-lens-16-21-28-35-45-90-convert-to-Leica-M-M8-M9-ZM-/321093674161?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac2aca4b1

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:09 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

Or you can wait for Hawk's helicoid conversion. Way better than the eBay conversion listed above. He would offer a DYI kit by May.

IMO, Contax G has their strength in extremely low distortion (high vignette in return) with WA and quite high resolution. Their color is warmer than most recent Zeiss. I still believe 16, 21, 28 conversion would be worthwhile. Even the 45 and 90 should be considered as well, just that the price on the lens itself is often equal or less than the conversion cost.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:50 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

Hey that's good to hear. I still like the 45mm very much. The 28 doesn't work well even on the Nex. I plan to get an A7r converted so it should be better. Do you have any of the wider G's to try on your converted A7s?

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:59 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

hiepphotog wrote:
Or you can wait for Hawk's helicoid conversion. Way better than the eBay conversion listed above. He would offer a DYI kit by May.

IMO, Contax G has their strength in extremely low distortion (high vignette in return) with WA and quite high resolution. Their color is warmer than most recent Zeiss. I still believe 16, 21, 28 conversion would be worthwhile. Even the 45 and 90 should be considered as well, just that the price on the lens itself is often equal or less than the conversion cost.

have you seen the hawk's conversions? the ones he was selling earlier looked not so great.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:45 PM
p242

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

mcbroomf wrote:
Hey that's good to hear. I still like the 45mm very much. The 28 doesn't work well even on the Nex. I plan to get an A7r converted so it should be better. Do you have any of the wider G's to try on your converted A7s?

In my experience the 28 works great on NEX - I've used it on 5n and now on a5100.
Actually, on crop that's the contax g lens I use most since the focal lenght is most useful.

Mar 20, 2015 at 01:00 PM
p242

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

mcbroomf wrote:

In my experience the 28 works great on NEX - I've used it on 5n and now on a5100.
Actually, on crop that's the contax g lens I use most since the focal lenght is most useful.

Mar 20, 2015 at 01:00 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

sebboh wrote:
have you seen the hawk's conversions? the ones he was selling earlier looked not so great.

I actually have a G21 converted by him a few years back (not mine originally). And I can tell you it's great. The thing is he actually made his own helicoid so that the G can turn the Leica way (all G lenses focus the "wrong" way). Two threads with overwhelming positive impressions:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/32874-new-contax-g-leica-m-conversion-rangefinderforums.html

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111550&page=4

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:10 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

mcbroomf wrote:

That is only a thing in the past. All these were taken on the G Biogon 28 at WO around noon. There is no PP whatsoever on these. Full-res is there.

A daring infinity WO shot:
_DSC9902 by Zeiss-aholic, on Flickr

Framing at the edges and corners:

_DSC9896 by Zeiss-aholic, on Flickr

_DSC9940 by Zeiss-aholic, on Flickr

_DSC9943 by Zeiss-aholic, on Flickr

Edited on Mar 20, 2015 at 02:33 PM · View previous versions

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:28 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

hiepphotog wrote:
I actually have a G21 converted by him a few years back (not mine originally). And I can tell you it's great. The thing is he actually made his own helicoid so that the G can turn the Leica way (all G lenses focus the "wrong" way). Two threads with overwhelming positive impressions:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/32874-new-contax-g-leica-m-conversion-rangefinderforums.html

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111550&page=4

yeah, those are the ones i was thinking of. they look better than some of the others but the helicoids just always seemed kinda lightweight and cheap. compared to real manual focus lenses.

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:30 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

sebboh wrote:
yeah, those are the ones i was thinking of. they look better than some of the others but the helicoids just always seemed kinda lightweight and cheap. compared to real manual focus lenses.

Yes, it's not aircraft aluminum for sure but according to actual users, it's way ahead of other conversions, japaneseexposure included. I know of the guy on eBay beside these two services.

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:36 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

hiepphotog wrote:
That is only a thing in the past. All these were taken on the G Biogon 28 at WO around noon. There is no PP whatsoever on these. Full-res is there.

A daring infinity WO shot:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7284/16874409451_5eec5e1390_b.jpg_DSC9902 by Zeiss-aholic, on Flickr

Framing at the edges and corners:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8744/16849541806_ee17613dd8_b.jpg_DSC9896 by Zeiss-aholic, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8721/16688011150_0f05397e32_b.jpg_DSC9940 by Zeiss-aholic, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8704/16874398431_6581c03d30_b.jpg_DSC9943 by Zeiss-aholic, on Flickr

are these on your converted a7s?

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:43 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

sebboh wrote:
are these on your converted a7s?

Yes

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:44 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

hiepphotog wrote:
Yes

excellent! i've been enjoying the g28 at near distance on the a7 but was holding off on getting the sensor mod till i see how it performs after the mod.

Mar 20, 2015 at 02:50 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

sebboh wrote:
excellent! i've been enjoying the g28 at near distance on the a7 but was holding off on getting the sensor mod till i see how it performs after the mod.

Not perfect as you can see, but f/8-f/11 is quite reasonable to get a sharp corner-to-corner.

Mar 20, 2015 at 03:18 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

Does anyone know if Hawk's is still doing the G to M mount full helicoid and rangefinder coupling conversions? From those other forum links, it sounds like someone in the US brokered a batch of conversions a few years ago and things died off afterwards. He's got a number of Flickr sets for 'oddball' conversions, but his ebay store is only selling adapters and some helicoids suitable for 50mm lenses... The latter could interest me for my Zeiss Opton 50/1.5 which I currently use with an Amadeo adapter, but which doesn't have very consistent feel to it. And the focus throw is the wrong direction. Assuming I can even figure out how to adapt the lens to the helicoid, which according to his ebay page should be possible with 'some parts'. Anyway, I'd love to get a G45/2 converted to M mount... The other one on ebay from 'rework-lens' (that someone apparently just bought) appears to focus the wrong direction.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:54 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

rscheffler wrote:
Does anyone know if Hawk's is still doing the G to M mount full helicoid and rangefinder coupling conversions? From those other forum links, it sounds like someone in the US brokered a batch of conversions a few years ago and things died off afterwards. He's got a number of Flickr sets for 'oddball' conversions, but his ebay store is only selling adapters and some helicoids suitable for 50mm lenses... The latter could interest me for my Zeiss Opton 50/1.5 which I currently use with an Amadeo adapter, but which doesn't have very consistent feel to it. And the focus
...Show more

no idea about coupling on the hawk's, but the g45 doesn't need any fancy coupling unlike the wide angle and telephoto lenses. you just need to attach a metal tube to the back of the lens or little piece of sheet metal in the appropriate place and adjust the length to calibrate for your rangefinder. the g45 is close enough to a 50mm that this seems to provide accurate focus.

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:37 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Contax G to Leica M 240 adapter

http://www.japanexposures.com/lens/

There are conversions adapters not sure of.

Mar 21, 2015 at 01:19 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.