Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

ELSELS
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

Hello:

I have a recently purchased Canon 100-400 L (Version I) - coming to me, in transit shipping.

I would like to also add the Canon 1.4x TC to the lens.

I understand, that generally speaking - that the "newer" versions of any item (lens / TC in this case), often
is believed to giving one a better Image Quality (IQ) capability.

Hence, if I can get a Version I of the Canon 1.4x TC cheaper price costs, versus the Canon 1.4x TC (Version II), how much of a "IQ gain" would I get, if I hold out for the Version II?

Thanks for your time, and any comments.

Have a nice evening...

Ed

~ ~ ~

Mar 14, 2015 at 09:06 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

The IQ difference between the I and II 1.4 extender is substantial. Go with the II.

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:47 PM
ELSELS
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

Hello jasonpatrick:

Appreciate your input - opinion - advice..

Thanks,

Ed

~ ~ ~

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1350678/

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:49 PM
ELSELS
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

Thank-You EB-1

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:51 PM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

I have read reviews and reports that are conflicting regarding the Canon 1.4x Mk I and Mk II versions. Some say the Mk I and Mk II are identical in optics and others say the optics were improved with the Mk II. Weather sealing and additional coatings were also added with the Mk II. Maybe the additional coating are interpreted as improved optics?

The Mk III definitely has new optics (which are only slightly better than the Mk II), and again new coatings.

It seems like the Mk II is the best bang for the buck right now, but I would just get the best one you can afford and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Edited on Mar 15, 2015 at 08:02 AM · View previous versions

Mar 15, 2015 at 07:48 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

Mike Sowsun wrote:
I have read reviews and reports that are conflicting regarding the Canon 1.4x version. Some say the Mk I and Mk II are identical in optics and others say the optics were improved with the Mk II...

Canon says (about the Mk II Extenders),

"The revamped optical systems employed in the new extenders realize even higher image quality than the previous Canon Extender EF1.4X and Extender EF2X models, launched in November 1988 and October 1987."

Ref. http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/lens/ef/data/other/ex_ef_1_4xii.html

Who you gonna believe?

Mar 15, 2015 at 08:00 AM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

I guess you could say that coatings are part of the optical system, and they "revamped" the optical system by adding some coatings.

Mar 15, 2015 at 08:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

The optical diagrams show subtle differences, too.

Mar 15, 2015 at 08:14 AM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

How subtle? Where did you see the optical diagrams? Do you have a link?

Mar 15, 2015 at 08:21 AM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

I just found this and supposedly even Canon says the 1.4x and 1.4x Mk II are identical in the optical elements:

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Iefc

"High image quality EF1.4X II With five elements in four groups, the optical system of the EF1.4X II (see Fig. 5) is exactly the same as that of the previous EF1.4X; however, the improved features such as new anti-reflection construction inside the barrel and edge-blackening of the lens elements reduce flare, providing even clearer image quality than the EF1.4X"

Mar 15, 2015 at 08:26 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

Mike Sowsun wrote:
How subtle? Where did you see the optical diagrams? Do you have a link?

For example, flat front element vs. slightly concave front element. Is the Mk II diagram simply more accurate or does it show a real difference? I don't know, and it really doesn't matter. The majority of people who have used both Extender 1.4x Mk I and Mk II say that the 1.4x Mk II is noticeably better. I went from the Mk I to Mk III, and the Mk III is noticeably better. Most people who have used both the Mk II and Mk III say the Mk III is only a little better, optically. Summary: Extenders 1.4x Mk III and Mk II are both noticeably better than the 1.4x Mk I.

Mike Sowsun wrote:
Do you have a link?

I already posted it.

See the "Block Diagram" tabs.

Mar 15, 2015 at 08:30 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

Mike Sowsun wrote:
I just found this and supposedly even Canon says the 1.4x and 1.4x Mk II are identical in the optical elements:

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Iefc

"High image quality EF1.4X II With five elements in four groups, the optical system of the EF1.4X II (see Fig. 5) is exactly the same as that of the previous EF1.4X; however, the improved features such as new anti-reflection construction inside the barrel and edge-blackening of the lens elements reduce flare, providing even clearer image quality than the EF1.4X"

Interesting. Regardless of having the same optical components, there is little doubt that IQ of the Extender 1.4x Mk II is noticeably better than the 1.4x Mk I.

Edited on Mar 15, 2015 at 08:59 AM · View previous versions

Mar 15, 2015 at 08:32 AM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

Agreed. It seems the coatings alone make a substantial difference in the Image Quality. So to the OP: Get the Mk II....

Mar 15, 2015 at 08:39 AM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

jcolwell wrote:
Interesting. Regardless of having the same optical components, there is little doubt that IQ of the Extender 1.4x Mk II is noticeably better than the 1.4x Mk I.

Bryan Carnathan of The Digital Picture is often cited here on FM --- here are his reviews:

Canon EF 1.4x II Extender Review

Canon EF 1.4x III Extender Review

One point to maybe consider: with the 1.4x III you'll be getting top grade performance from your 100-400 I and then, if you decide later to go to the 100-400 II, you won't feel pressured to upgrade.

Good Luck!

Charles

Mar 15, 2015 at 09:34 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

Thanks EB...beat me to it.

I picked up a mkI for my non-is 300L. I could've spent another 80-100 for the mkii, but decided against it.

With the little Ive had to play with this combination, Im happy with the mki. When I finally get a 70-200/2.8, Ill step up to at least a mkii.

If I had purchased a 100-400, I think I would have most definitely bought a mkii, due to using it on a zoom.

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:40 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

The same scenario plays out, over and over again: here we go..... Buy once, cry once!
IMO: Do not spend money on Ver 1.

Mar 16, 2015 at 07:36 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

schlotz wrote:
The same scenario plays out, over and over again: here we go..... Buy once, cry once!
IMO: Do not spend money on Ver 1.

No crying here, got a decent deal on it and its in really good shape. Im gonna tape the pins and put it on my 500/6.3 catadioptric just for giggles.

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:32 PM
ELSELS
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 1.4x TC (Versions I / II) - Differences in Image Quality ?

What does "taping the pins" provide / perform?

Ed

~

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:33 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.