FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Traveling Tripod

Erockduh
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Traveling Tripod

Hello all,

I'm in search a new tripod for traveling. I currently use a Manfrotto 190XB paired with a 496RC2 ball head. I was looking into L brackets for landscape photography but bracket that Manfrotto makes costs $135- almost as much as the tripod + head combo! I figured it might be worth just getting a whole new tripod at the same time. I also feel that the tripod might not be strong enough. Once I extend it all the way up, it becomes very shaky while the 300mm is on.

Would you recommend for traveling/hiking and also something very sturdy for my D800 + 300mm?

Thanks
Eric

Apr 29, 2014 at 06:56 PM
cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Traveling Tripod

http://www.mefoto.com/products/roadtrip.aspx

We have the CF version and have been pretty happy with it for travel. We don't have 300/2.8 but have used our gripped D800E with 300/4 with 2x TC on it with no problem.

Apr 29, 2014 at 07:02 PM
Keopele19
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Traveling Tripod

i use a benro travel angel CF model that is great. I've never tested it with large/heavy equipment though, just a d7000 and 80-200

Apr 29, 2014 at 08:00 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Traveling Tripod

A lot of people swear by the MeFoto range. I took a look at the Mefoto Backpacker today and, garish color aside, it seemed a pretty study little thing. The Roadtrip model not so much -- looked like it would snap in a slight breeze. The ballheads are fine -- not the smoothest around, but for the money not so bad.

Apr 29, 2014 at 08:08 PM
dodgyexposure
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Traveling Tripod

I have a Sirui T2204X and K20X ballhead. It's a compact, light and stable combination.

Apr 29, 2014 at 09:13 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Traveling Tripod

pipspeak wrote:
A lot of people swear by the MeFoto range. I took a look at the Mefoto Backpacker today and, garish color aside, it seemed a pretty study little thing. The Roadtrip model not so much -- looked like it would snap in a slight breeze. The ballheads are fine -- not the smoothest around, but for the money not so bad.

Backpacker is actually their smallest model with 8.8lb load rating, and I doubt it would be sturdy enough for any 300mm lens. On the other hand, Roadtrip is a bit larger with 17.6lb rating, and while it obviously would not be as sturdy as, say, a 2-series Gitzo or TVC-24 or something, it is pretty sturdy for most typical applications for general travel and hikes. And the ballhead is fine too, though not the smoothest, and it does creep a bit when tightened under a heavy setup. But, again, it is well worth the money, IMHO. You may also check their largest GlobeTrotter model with 26.4lb load rating. But I found it a bit too large/bulky as a travel tripod.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM
mine1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Traveling Tripod

you can get the benro line (the company that makes mefoto, as their low end line), on ebay from many reputable sellers for less than the mefoto versions. this is the one I would suggest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BENRO-C2682TB1-Tripod-Monopod-Trekking-Pole-3in1-Kit-FAST-SHIPMENT-/140905002711?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item20ce97b6d7

then once you get the chance upgrade the ballhead to something nicer from photo clam, or for a quite a bit less but still nicer ballhead than the benro you can get a sirui k20x ballhead.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:32 AM
mine1

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Traveling Tripod

you can get the benro line (the company that makes mefoto, as their low end line), on ebay from many reputable sellers for less than the mefoto versions. this is the one I would suggest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BENRO-C2682TB1-Tripod-Monopod-Trekking-Pole-3in1-Kit-FAST-SHIPMENT-/140905002711?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item20ce97b6d7

then once you get the chance upgrade the ballhead to something nicer from photo clam, or for a quite a bit less but still nicer ballhead than the benro you can get a sirui k20x ballhead.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:34 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Traveling Tripod

cambyses wrote:
Backpacker is actually their smallest model with 8.8lb load rating, and I doubt it would be sturdy enough for any 300mm lens. On the other hand, Roadtrip is a bit larger with 17.6lb rating, and while it obviously would not be as sturdy as, say, a 2-series Gitzo or TVC-24 or something, it is pretty sturdy for most typical applications for general travel and hikes. And the ballhead is fine too, though not the smoothest, and it does creep a bit when tightened under a heavy setup. But, again, it is well worth the money, IMHO. You may also check
...Show more

Oops... Yes, I got the models the wrong way round. The smallest one, backpacker, was the one that looked a bit too delicate. Roadtrip was definitely more like a tripod I'd trust with an SLR and long lens

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM
s0hanc01

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Traveling Tripod

MeFOTO backpacker works great with my D7000 & 55-300 lens.

May 01, 2014 at 08:14 AM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Traveling Tripod

I have the MeFOTO backpacker for use with with my smaller lenses like the 24-70mm and quick trips. It is small and light but delicate. I have also tried the Roadtripper and Globetrotter. For the MeFOTO line, I have found that they work best at 50-75% of the load capacity. I am planning to get Globetrotter and give my son the backpacker. The heads are the smoothest but good enough for general use. If you are planning on using the tripod extensively, I would suggest a more rugged brand.

May 01, 2014 at 02:39 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Traveling Tripod

Wildcats_Fans wrote:
For the MeFOTO line, I have found that they work best at 50-75% of the load capacity.

I would say this is probably true for pretty much any tripod though. Notwithstanding that (a) there is no standards for manufacturers in specifying their tripod load ratings, and some are probably more conservative than others, and (b) max load ratings depend on the tripod configuration (e.g., all leg sections extended), I would say that, for maximum support and least vibration, one should probably stay below 50% or so of the max load rating for any given tripod.

I agree that MeFoto tripods are not very rugged and would probably not be a good option for heavy use in challenging environments (e.g., very windy areas, inside the water, etc.). We use ours as a general travel/hiking tripod when we won't be carrying our TVC-34L (for which we are still on the back-order list ).

May 01, 2014 at 03:45 PM
wsheldon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Traveling Tripod

cambyses wrote:
I agree that MeFoto tripods are not very rugged and would probably not be a good option for heavy use in challenging environments (e.g., very windy areas, inside the water, etc.). We use ours as a general travel/hiking tripod when we won't be carrying our TVC-34L (for which we are still on the back-order list ).

I got my 34L within 2 weeks earlier this year, but you may have bumped into wildflower season (my macro bracket was heavily back-ordered for that reason, but I still got it fairly promptly). Popular gear, to be sure!

I'll be interested in your comparison. I've been considering the MeFoto backpacker for a minimalist travel set of lenses (heaviest being 70-200f4 on a Canon 6D), which should be a little south of the 50% capacity. The bigger model is getting too close in weight to the 34L so I don't see the point in that.

May 01, 2014 at 04:02 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Traveling Tripod

wsheldon wrote:
I got my 34L within 2 weeks earlier this year, but you may have bumped into wildflower season (my macro bracket was heavily back-ordered for that reason, but I still got it fairly promptly). Popular gear, to be sure!

I'll be interested in your comparison. I've been considering the MeFoto backpacker for a minimalist travel set of lenses (heaviest being 70-200f4 on a Canon 6D), which should be a little south of the 50% capacity. The bigger model is getting too close in weight to the 34L so I don't see the point in that.

Yeah, it's already been two weeks since I placed my order. Called them today. Was told that I should likely be on the next batch either on Friday or early next week. Will see.

As for MeFoto, I would recommend Roadtrip over the smaller Backpacker or the larger GlobeTrotter. In my opinion, among the three models, RoadTrip offers the best trade-off in stability/sturdiness vs weight/portability. We have the CF version but even the aluminum version would be significantly smaller (28.1" vs 15.4" folded length) and lighter (6.6 lbs vs 3.6lbs) than 34L w/ BH-55.

May 01, 2014 at 04:55 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Traveling Tripod

cambyses wrote:
Yeah, it's already been two weeks since I placed my order. Called them today. Was told that I should likely be on the next batch either on Friday or early next week. Will see.

As for MeFoto, I would recommend Roadtrip over the smaller Backpacker or the larger GlobeTrotter. In my opinion, among the three models, RoadTrip offers the best trade-off in stability/sturdiness vs weight/portability. We have the CF version but even the aluminum version would be significantly smaller (28.1" vs 15.4" folded length) and lighter (6.6 lbs vs 3.6lbs) than 34L w/ BH-55.

I agree, as I have the Roadtrip, and I think it is a good compromise between portability and stability.

May 01, 2014 at 09:52 PM
wsheldon
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Traveling Tripod

Thanks - I'll consider that one. My Markins Q10 isn't as weighty as a BH-55, but that would still be 6 vs 3.6 lbs and a lot shorter for attaching to a backpack or in a carry on.

May 02, 2014 at 06:45 AM
s0hanc01

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Traveling Tripod

The only problem I have with the backpacker is the maximum height. If you are shooting on level ground I have to angle the camera up for people 6 foot or so and above. Someone also mentioned it wouldn't be great for windy conditions or rough locations and I would have to agree.

May 02, 2014 at 02:57 PM
demdo
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Traveling Tripod

I really like the MeFoto Globetrotter. It's easy to take apart and clean. I actually returned an RRS 24L because I realized it was far too large and expensive for my needs; as I don't have any HUGE lenses or take crucial panoramas. The MeFoto GT Aluminum can sometimes be sold for around $180 and I really suggest anyone try it if they're looking for a very portable and stiff tripod.

Best of all, it fits easily in my Pelican 5150.

May 04, 2014 at 11:03 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Traveling Tripod

Erockduh wrote:
Would you recommend for traveling/hiking and also something very sturdy for my D800 + 300mm?

The beast you are asking for does not exist. There is absolutely nothing suitable for a D800+300/2.8 that would be classified as "traveling/hiking friendly". For that lens/body combo you need a Gitzo 3-series tripod or equivalent. Anything else will be iffy, especially in less than ideal conditions (wind, long exposure, etc). And even with a 3-series you will need to weigh it down under demanding circumstances.

You don't specify a budget, so the question is difficult to answer. I personally use a Gitzo 1 series with a BH-40 ballhead. It works well with medium-weight stuff (D800+700-200/4) but I would not push it more. Despite the inconvenience it causes I have taken out the center column. And even then when I am around 200mm I try to extend at most one section of the legs.

Last but not least, I would stay away from 4-section legs on a light tripod. Sure, it collapses smaller and is slightly easier to pack in a carry-on, but the usability with the thinner CF tubes drops like a rock. A tripod that is easy to transport but shakes in the slightest breeze is, IMO, worthless.

May 04, 2014 at 11:48 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Traveling Tripod

A bare Gitzo GT0531 Mountaineer weighs only 1.6 lbs. - what can I expect from that?

May 12, 2014 at 06:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.