Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

This thread is just to gather information about how many returned this lens due to the AI Servo AF problems with certain Canon bodies.

If you returned the lens, please state when and the name of the retailer, and if you returned it for a refund or exchange.

I returned my copy to Camera Canada at the beginning of February for a full refund. It would not AF properly on either a 7D or 1D Mk IV.

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Returned to Norman Camera in Kalamazoo Michigan. Returned for refund and I appreciate the courtesy this seller offered for a full refund return.

It would not properly AI Servo auto focus on my Canon 1DMKIII body.

Karl

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Returned mine to B & H for a full refund around the middle of Feb. Mine would not properly AF in Servo on my 1DIV. I also had inconsistent AF with my 1DIV on static objects. I would consider buying again if they fix the issues because I loved the size and weight of it. I don't have trouble shooting a 2 pound heavier combination of a 300 2.8 IS with a 2 XIII so I don't believe my problems with the inconsistent AF were just me.

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:47 PM
RonR2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Mine was returned to B&H, 7D focus problem.

Mar 06, 2014 at 01:01 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Hmm, two confirmed returns to B&H, yet they tell me they are not aware of the problem. Sounds like Tamron.

Mar 06, 2014 at 03:22 PM
nctemper
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Mine was return to B&H for refund.

EOS 1 DX & 5D3 both had focus problems with that lens

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:13 PM
ox0312
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

I returned mine to B&H for an exchange in February.

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:35 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Nasty. There's a lesson in this Tamron.

Mar 06, 2014 at 06:40 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Paul Mo wrote
Nasty. There's a lesson in this Tamron.

Perhaps a lesson for buyers, not the manufacturer. When a product sells for 1/4 of its apparent value, it's usually because its of less than expected value. Is this not the case, in most instances?

John Caldwell

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:12 PM
bergenor
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Returned in Dallas…
Store credit.
7D issue and not sharp.

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:05 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Karl Witt wrote:
Returned to Norman Camera in Kalamazoo Michigan. Returned for refund and I appreciate the courtesy this seller offered for a full refund return.

It would not properly AI Servo auto focus on my Canon 1DMKIII body.

Karl

Karl, I am glad to hear of your positive experience with Norman Camera. I live in Kalamazoo. They are great to deal with in person as well. Extremely knowledgeable and helpful staff with lots of photography experience.

Sorry your Tamron experience didn't work out. I would like to point out that I called them up a few weeks ago for this lens and a trip I was taking to see if they had one in stock. They reported that they didn't (the sales guy I like working with best). He knows I have a 5D3, yet asked me what body I planned to use this lens on. I told him mostly a 1D3 and in time a 1D4. He suggested I read some user reviews before ordering or buying this lens, considering that!

I think the better dealers are learning of some of the issues and becoming more pro-active with their customers regarding the use on this lens for certain purposes and on certain bodies, especially.

Mar 06, 2014 at 09:42 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Yikes.. this is a bit of a bummer..

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Mike M. Kraus
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

After reading lots of feedback here I hit the " worry " stage on my order at B&H and cancelled before it arrived.

Mar 06, 2014 at 11:52 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Local bird shooter who just bought my 500mkI: "man, the 150-600 was absolute garbage."

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:05 AM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

^ what body was he shooting?

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:14 AM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Returned in Dallas…

to Competitive Cameras? That's where I bought from and although it's working fine on my 6D, who knows what future bodies I (or a buyer) will want to use.

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:18 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

John Caldwell wrote:
Perhaps a lesson for buyers, not the manufacturer. When a product sells for 1/4 of its apparent value, it's usually because its of less than expected value. Is this not the case, in most instances?

Agree. Being a first-adopter of anything has its risks. This just reaffirms that for me. Never understood the urgency in being the first to have something new.

Jack

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:29 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

John Caldwell wrote:

John Caldwell

Not for me- I expected there to be workarounds necessary somewhere, either having to stop down to f/8 to get sharp images, or in the case of this Tamron, focus bump when using it in AI Servo with certain camera bodies. As I'm not a birder, and I plan to upgrade my 7D sometime soon, I'm willing to deal with the shortcomings of this lens due to the advantages it provides. Namely a great zoom range with good IQ, and enough money leftover in my "long telephoto budget" to buy another lens if I decide I need it.

But- for 7D or 1DMKIV users who shoot BIF on a regular basis, I can definitely see you wanting to return 'em.

But here's a question- if the Tamron works ok with the 70D, and you're happy with the pure IQ of the Tamron, would it make more sense to keep the 7D and buy another lens that goes to 600mm, or keep the Tamron and buy a 70D? I realize this feels like you're letting Tamron off the hook for its obvious inadequacies, but if you REALLY want a lens with a giant zoom range and good IQ, there aren't a lot of other options....

Mar 07, 2014 at 08:39 AM
Snead
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Returned mine because the exposures were over exposed. In AV mode @ f/8 the shutter speeds varied from 1/160th to 1/4000th with the same lighting conditions. Tamron Support said the lens was probably not communicating with the camera. I tried cleaning the lens contacts but that didn't help. I had already ordered a carrying case for the lens and now it sits unopened. No problem with AF as I was testing lens quality using manual focusing with a manual focusing screen in my 5D2 and never got the chance to try AF.

Will probably reorder after they get the problems sorted out as I don't do BIF. The only birds I photograph are on the Thanksgiving table.

Mar 07, 2014 at 09:10 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Returned your Tamron 150-600mm?

Does anyone now question the glowing reviews that first came out?

Mar 07, 2014 at 09:16 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.