FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Manfrotto and Wimberley campatibility

fraga
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manfrotto and Wimberley campatibility

Hi guys.

I am in need of your expert opinion.

I recently purchased a 600mm IS and want to use it both on tripod and monopod.
I already have a tripod with a Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal Tripod Head II.
I will buy a Gitzo 5541 monopod and for convenience reasons (and safety) I wish to purchase a quick release adapter for it.

I buy everything online from another country and my trusted dealer does not carry wimberley, which means I am having some trouble getting the Wimberley C-12.
He does carry Manfrotto, so I would like to ask you guys if the Manfrotto Pro Rapid Connect Adapter Assembly with Sliding Mounting Plate# 357PL is compatible with the Wimberley P-50.
That means, if I use the the Wimberley P-50 plate on the lens, can I mount it on the Manfroto Pro rapid connect Adapter 357PL?

And also, is this 357 adapter a good substitute for the C-12, having a 600mm use in mind?

TIA.

Mar 05, 2014 at 06:55 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manfrotto and Wimberley campatibility

Hi Luis,

No, the Manfrotto 357 Universal slider ( (3273 QR clamp & 3271 plate) is not compatible with standard Arca-Swiss (A-S) clamps and plates, like the P-50 and the clamp on a C-12. I've attached two photos to compare a 357 plate and clamp with an A-S plate (Hejnar) and clamp (RRS).

I use an A-S Wimberley C-10MG clamp on my 468MG head, and an A-S Hejnar M410 base plate + RRS QR clamp on my Manfrotto 410 geared head. The C-10MG is discontinued (at B&H, anyway), but you can probably find something similar, if you ever need it.

C-10MG http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/620909-REG/Wimberley_C_10MG_C_10MG_Quick_Release_Clamp.html

M410 base plate http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_17&products_id=5&zenid=pi97op0j1kiaq1kbpnnsrf5ol2

Have you considered getting an A-S replacement foot for the 600/4L IS? You can get some more ideas in this recent FM thread,

Long lens accessories: our favourites https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1183081

(left) Manfrotto 357 plate and clamp, (right) Arca-Swiss plate and clamp

Arca-Swiss plate on top of Manfrotto 357 plate

Mar 05, 2014 at 07:53 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manfrotto and Wimberley campatibility

I recall hearing that manfrotto finally released an acrca swiss compatible plate for their products. Is this useful for you?
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/0/MSQ6/_/Q6_Top_Lock_quick_release_adaptor,_complete_with_plate

Mar 05, 2014 at 08:24 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manfrotto and Wimberley campatibility

Very nice, Jim.
Thank you very, very, very much!

By looking at previous pictures from them, I was really under the impression that they were not compatible, hence my OP. But your pictures really leave no doubt at all, thank you so much for the time and trouble in taking and posting them.
Much obliged.

And David, thank you for that link.
I wasn't aware of that arca swiss compatible plate from manfrotto.
I will give it a look to see if it's appropriate for such a heavy lens as the 600.
Much obliged as well.

P.S.
BTW, it looks to me that it needs to be fitted to a manfrotto head.
Can I fit it directly to the monopod, i.e. without a ball head? It seems that it can't.
Because that is what I am looking for.

Mar 05, 2014 at 10:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manfrotto and Wimberley campatibility

Hi Luis,

You're welcome.

Have you considered using a "monopod head"? I normally use an RRS MH-01 high-capacity monopod head with my 500/4L IS, unless I'm shooting something like field sports where it's "on the level", in which case, I just use an A-S QR clamp attached to the top of the monopod.

Here's some photos of my Feisol CM-1471 Rapid monopod and MH-01 monopod head. The first photo shows the monopod with only its A-S lever clamp attached, followed by four photos showing various views of the MH-01 on and off the monopod. Both the monopod and MH-01 head have an RRS B2 LR II: 60mm lever QR clamp on top. I use the lever clamps for this because I can quickly go from monopod support to handheld (with the monopod laying on the ground), with a quick flip of the lever. This is especially handy for BIF, when the stupid bird goes from a crossing flight path, to an overhead pass, but I also have used this method for motorcycle racing, where I'm shooting both far and near parts of the track, from the same location.

My setup lets me quickly mount or remove the MH-01 head, because I share it between two monopods; the Feisol for travel and hiking, and a heavy and long Manfrotto Neo-tec monopod with one-handed collapse action - I really like it for shooting field and indoor sports (when I travel by car) and especially for stage performance.

Mar 05, 2014 at 11:03 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manfrotto and Wimberley campatibility

Again, thank you Jim, for that long and detailed post.
I really does help a lot, specially the pictures.

People like you are what makes this forum so great.

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:31 AM
Bruce n Philly
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Manfrotto and Wimberley campatibility

I found a cheap adapter that works fine. I put it on my bodies....

I can move my body from my Wimberly to my Manfrotto RC2 mounts without twisting the adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Desmond-DABP-1-Compatible-Manfrotto-200PL-14/dp/B009L587U0

If the link doesn't show, Google: dabp-1

Peace
Bruce in Philly
www.TravelThroughPictures.com

Mar 08, 2014 at 10:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Manfrotto and Wimberley campatibility

Hi Bruce.

Luis is considering the Manfrotto 357 slider system, not RC2.

Mar 09, 2014 at 08:22 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Manfrotto and Wimberley campatibility

Jim, since you were most helpful and quite diligent, notably taking special care by adding pictures, I just wanted to leave an update to let you know that I ordered a Gitzo 5541 monopod and RRS MH-01-Pro + B2 Pro for the 600mm f4 and a RRS clamp B2-FAB-F for my current monopod, for the sigma 120-300 S and 200L 1.8.

Again, big thanks for your help.

Though, truth be told, I'm not sure if I should actually be thanking you or not... since your help turned out to be quite expensive...

Mar 21, 2014 at 07:04 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Manfrotto and Wimberley campatibility

Luis, you're welcome. Thanks for the update.

fraga wrote:
...your help turned out to be quite expensive...

What, me worry ?

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.