New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nose of a B-17 Flying Fortress

JakeB17
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nose of a B-17 Flying Fortress

I figured I might as well start posting some of my photos since I've been on FM almost a year and haven't posted anything so far.

I'll start with one of my favorite aviation related images. It's one I like more for the subject matter than the photo itself. It's the nose of the B-17G Nine-O-Nine, which belongs to the Collings Foundation.

I was lucky enough to get a chance to fly this specific B-17 with my grandfather (a B-17 pilot from '44-'45) a number of years ago before he passed away.

The photo is from three years ago though, shot on a D3 with a 17-35/2.8.

http://www.jacobfilm.com/uploads/b17g-nose-low-res.jpg

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nose of a B-17 Flying Fortress

Hi Jake. It looks like you have a pretty interesting view of the B17, something that the vast majority of people wouldn't know anything about. I definitely like this. I don't know if you are familiar with the Mustangs, Air to Air thread in this same forum. Check it out and post this there as well. We are a rather large bunch of photographers that love airplanes of all types. Fixed wing, tilt wing, rotary wing and lighter than air balloons. Even boats, houses and assorted other things get featured, but it is primarily aviation related. If you would like, even join the family. You and your contributions will be appreciated.

Regards, Colin

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Chris Schlaf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nose of a B-17 Flying Fortress

Very enjoyable image

Jan 29, 2014 at 07:13 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nose of a B-17 Flying Fortress

Great detail and light in this capture Jake!
Douglas

Jan 29, 2014 at 08:14 AM
Bill Gass
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nose of a B-17 Flying Fortress

Very kool shot.

Jan 29, 2014 at 08:51 AM
MMauro72
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nose of a B-17 Flying Fortress

I like it, it is a nice perspective we don't often see. Thanks for posting

Jan 29, 2014 at 01:17 PM
Joe Costa
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nose of a B-17 Flying Fortress

Very nice!

Jan 29, 2014 at 03:51 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nose of a B-17 Flying Fortress

Awesome image. You've either lit it expertly or it's HDR, but I really don't care, because the result looks natural and stunning.

Jan 29, 2014 at 04:19 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nose of a B-17 Flying Fortress

Hi Jake!
I hope you won't be upset that I posted these images of the Nine-o-Nine.
I was asked to take photos of the Collings Foundation Air Show a few years ago at our local airport for the local newspaper
Your grandfather's B17 was one of the planes. Now these were taken in 2010 and I have a crew picture. Would your grandfather be in it?

Give your grandfather a posthumous " Thank You For Your Service" for me.
Dan

Excellant pics from inside the gunners nose!!!

Yes I know there is some vignetting in the corners....

© danpbphoto 2013

© danpbphoto 2013

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:06 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nose of a B-17 Flying Fortress

Thanks guys!

Fast6 wrote:
Awesome image. You've either lit it expertly or it's HDR, but I really don't care, because the result looks natural and stunning.

It's actually both clever placement of bounce cards and a manual exposure blend in Photoshop of 2 exposures. Probably could have done it in one had the D800 existed at the time, ha.

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Hi Jake. It looks like you have a pretty interesting view of the B17, something that the vast majority of people wouldn't know anything about. I definitely like this. I don't know if you are familiar with the Mustangs, Air to Air thread in this same forum. Check it out and post this there as well. We are a rather large bunch of photographers that love airplanes of all types. Fixed wing, tilt wing, rotary wing and lighter than air balloons. Even boats, houses and assorted other things get featured, but it is primarily aviation related. If you would
...Show more

Thanks Colin. I've been a follower of the thread for a long time, but just started posting. I was going to post this there as well, but I didn't want to double post.

Danpbphoto wrote:
Hi Jake!
I hope you won't be upset that I posted these images of the Nine-o-Nine.
I was asked to take photos of the Collings Foundation Air Show a few years ago at our local airport for the local newspaper
Your grandfather's B17 was one of the planes. Now these were taken in 2010 and I have a crew picture. Would your grandfather be in it?

Give your grandfather a posthumous " Thank You For Your Service" for me.
Dan

Excellant pics from inside the gunners nose!!!

Yes I know there is some vignetting in the corners....

Thanks Dan. Of course not, the more the merrier when it comes to warbird photos.

I don't think I was entirely clear though, this wasn't his plane. His aircraft was named "Lucky 13", and was in the 34th BG, and 18th BS. It was scrapped right after the war. We were just lucky enough to fly this one together back in 1999.

Feb 06, 2014 at 08:36 PM
iamharam

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nose of a B-17 Flying Fortress

very unique pictures you took!

Feb 09, 2014 at 01:07 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.