New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Analog Efex Pro

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Analog Efex Pro

So, everyone by now who has the Nik Collection may notice that they have a new plugin (once you've fixed the DLL error caused by the update if you're on Windows): Analog Efex Pro.

Tried it out, and it looks to be pretty well done, if you're into the sort of look it gives. I can't say I'll use it often, but I did find that it very quickly did the edit that I was looking to do (was originally going to try and do it in Color Efex, but saw the new Analog Efex, and it basically did it for me). I can't remember which preset this is, but it's mildly tweaked to dim the brightness a bit, and then I reduced the processed layer opacity to 50% so it wasn't as strong:

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/chloe_broccoli.jpg

Oct 31, 2013 at 07:14 AM
pr4photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Analog Efex Pro

Mine hasn't updated

Oct 31, 2013 at 08:20 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Analog Efex Pro

pr4photos wrote:
Mine hasn't updated

Download the latest version from their website. And install it.

Oct 31, 2013 at 08:39 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Analog Efex Pro

Looks pretty neat! I'll update tonight.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Analog Efex Pro

Looks pretty neat! I'll update tonight.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Analog Efex Pro

Guess this answers the question of whether or not Google would continue to improve the collection. Excellent Halloween present in our bags better than candy

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Analog Efex Pro

so what exactly does it do?

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Analog Efex Pro

I did a little writeup on it...basically, it allows you to do a bunch of vintage camera effects/film effects. It's a lot like some of the vintage photo mobile apps, but with a lot higher quality and a lot more control:

http://admiringlight.com/blog/nik-stealthily-adds-analog-efex-pro-to-the-nik-collection/

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Analog Efex Pro

Classic cameras at your fingertips

Get the photo you’re looking for, even if you don’t own the equipment. Effects inspired by traditional cameras bring you back to a specific era. Choose from Classic Camera, Vintage, Wet Plate and Toy Camera.
Go beyond filters

Use vintage effects designed for the serious photographer. Create professionally stylized images by picking a preset, then diving in to fine-tune your approach. Adjust bokeh, textures, frames and other elements, then pinpoint the location of your effects with precise on-image controls.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM
momo_nyc

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Analog Efex Pro

Jo Dilbeck wrote:
so what exactly does it do?

check it out yourself...several videos available...some really nice stuff...

http://www.google.com/nikcollection/products/analog-efex-pro/

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Lutefisker
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Analog Efex Pro

Anyone else finding it to be a huge memory hog?

Oct 31, 2013 at 05:43 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Analog Efex Pro

Lutefisker wrote:
Anyone else finding it to be a huge memory hog?

Not really. I was experimenting with a smallish image,1800x1200px. about the time I read your post. So out of curiosity I then opened up a much larger (8752x6248) 16bit image and ran it through multiple filters in AP without any issues. During this time, my RAM usage never rose above 6.5GB, Nik created its own 2GB swap file and Photoshop devoted 10GB to scratch. I should mention that just to apply the maximum amount of stress I was running CS5-32bit (Win8)

I did have the Nik group fail to load once due to some nebulous interface error or some wording to that effect.

Oct 31, 2013 at 06:24 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Analog Efex Pro

OK, now downloaded from the site. Had a play, not too impressed so far. Need to play further

Nov 01, 2013 at 06:43 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Analog Efex Pro

So I take the nik collection doesn't do auto update? I can't find any way to update my package other than going to the Nik webpage and downloading everything again as if it were a trial..

Edit: Just downloaded as a trial, and it overwrote my previous version without a glitch, all is good.

Nov 01, 2013 at 06:58 AM
Lutefisker
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Analog Efex Pro

It appears that Analog efex was added to my collection of Nik software automatically. Unfortunately, it takes about a minute to load it which makes it unusable for me. Even worse, loading Color Efex has now slowed way down as well. I used to like Nik software.

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Analog Efex Pro

Something seems amiss, it loads much more quickly for me and I don't see any slowness in the other modules. I know that doesn't help you other than to point out I don't think your experience is typical.

Edited on Nov 01, 2013 at 04:37 PM · View previous versions

Nov 01, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Analog Efex Pro

Lutefisker wrote:
Unfortunately, it takes about a minute to load it which makes it unusable for me. Even worse, loading Color Efex has now slowed way down as well. I used to like Nik software.

Aye, load times for Nik have always been dreadful.

I have gone off them completely as they are, IMHO, as useless and clichéd as Instagram filters.

You see 'looks' become fashionable and rip through the wedding and portraiture industry like wildfire with vintage browns and flares - when they've already become stale.

My 2c - not bitter, bored.

Nov 01, 2013 at 04:34 PM
Lutefisker
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Analog Efex Pro

I've had an email conversation with Nik and it appears that at least Analog Efex, Color Efex and Silver Efex was automatically updated by Google. Apparently, my graphics card does not meet the requirements of the updated versions to allow the use of the GPU and it was disabled. I suspect those of you who did not notice a change in performance have a newer graphics card and/or more vram.

Nik tells me that you can not disable the auto update "feature," for Nik products. So now I have a new and improved software bundle that is essentially worthless on my current computer.

Nov 05, 2013 at 06:41 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Analog Efex Pro

Lutefisker wrote:
Nik tells me that you can not disable the auto update "feature," for Nik products. So now I have a new and improved software bundle that is essentially worthless on my current computer.

Start a support ticket with NIk and request that updates become an event controlled by the user and not Google.

Auto updates are undesirable and unacceptable for at least two reasons. First is the problem of dumping data on people with metered internet connections, of which I am one. I allocate my usage judiciously because I sometimes run close to the limit. An unexpected, huge download at the wrong time could cost me money.

The second, more crucial issue is the one now being discovered by some: a stealth download which causes a working computer to stop functioning or become impaired in some way. In the past, automatic Windows updates have caused serious issues for certain users, some of whom found that their machines would not boot. For people who use their computers for real work, this is more than an annoyance. At least MS has the courtesy to offer the user the ability to choose which updates to apply and when to apply them.

Google, OTOH, seems determined to shove its updates out at a time of its own choosing in a manner that can only be described as surreptitious. Not everyone is pleased by this, as is evidenced by reports ranging from disagreeably changed behavior in certain Nik modules to the failure of Photoshop to launch.

So how to keep this from happening is the question, at least for Windows users as the Mac folks seem to have a handle on this. I've created firewall rules to block GoogleUpdate.exe, two instances of which I found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update. I also disabled the two Google Update Services and likewise disabled the entries for Google Update in Windows Task Scheduler. Finally, I've changed the Local Security Policy>Software Restriction Policy to Disallowed for the entire Google Update folder in Program Files (x86). That should prevent an executable from launching from there and presenting me with an update that perhaps has a few bugs, as this most recent one assuredly does.

This may or may not stop all the unwanted activity and I will take other measures if need be. Google warns that if its update functions are tampered with that its software may not function correctly or cease to function altogether. At this point, that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Nov 06, 2013 at 04:29 AM
Alex de Groot

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Analog Efex Pro

How does it compare to VSCO? I love VSCO because it are just lightroom presets. For NIK i either have to go into photoshop and start it, or let it make a TIFF copy of a file from lightroom.

Nov 13, 2013 at 04:40 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.