New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

ndirienzo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Alright, here's a smattering of photos from my recent cross country motorcycle trip. I know it's not totally Canon related, but this sorta thing doesn't really fit into any of the other subforums. I figured I'd toss them in here, given I frequently read this forum.

Anyway, my wife and I are relocating to Davis, CA from Athens, GA. My motorcycle had to get out here one way or another, so why not just ride it! I had a long stopover in Boulder, CO, where I had a scientific conference and a few extra days to ride around.

I used a 5Diii w/ 70-200 v2 along with a EOS-M w/ 22mm. I must say, I love that EOS-M for this sorta trip. It was great being able to have it in my pocket and then just pull over and snap a quick picture, vs. getting off the bike and going into my topbox. Another nice thing is that it fits great into a cargo pocket, and you can snap quick pictures without being too obtrusive. It's also made is to I don't really have to swap lenses off my 5Diii. I was totally happy with the 35mm equivalent + a 70-200. Also, initially I was trying to avoid using the touch screen and instead use the scroll wheel, but lately I've just embraced it. I must say that it's actually quite fast once you get the hang of it. I've been thoroughly impressed with the IQ, and it's solid at higher ISOs. I guess my only gripe is that the touch screen doesn't work with a glove, but not sure how many other ones do. Anyway, the 5Diii is amazing, but the EOS M has been a fantastic compliment to it.

Okay, how about some pictures

Day 1 I rode 1000 miles. The sun was setting over the Flint Hills in Manhattan, KS just as I was rolling in. Not a fan of KS as a whole, but there are some nice bits!

Did it in 18.5 hours

So, I stopped by this frat house I stayed in for a summer. I was an undergrad research student at KSU a while back, and they put us up here in instead of the dorms because we needed more flexible housing. Well, I found out the research students no longer stay in this terrible place because one of the idiot frat guys acquired a 5lb jar of mercury, and proceeded to drop it in one of the rooms. His solution was to tape off the door and vents and not tell anyone. Well, eventually one of the research students found mercury in their room, the FD was called, who then called a hazmat team, who promptly found out everyone and everything in the house was contaminated. This was the last straw with them dealing with the frat guys, and the school was forced to find the research students alternative housing. The worst we had to deal with when staying there was a room full of dog shit and brown recluses. Seems like we had it easy!

I knocked out 600 miles the next day to get me to. I spend the night in Ft. Collins, where I hit up New Belgium and Equinox Brewing, along with another great beer bar.

The easy way to get to Boulder from Ft. Collins would have been to slab it 30ish miles south. Instead I took a loop up through Rocky Mountain National Park. A killer 200 mile ride that got me up to 12,000 feet.

The route

On highway 40 on the way down from Winter Park. What a fun road.

More beer! A local bar here has a great happy hour. 12 fantastic microbrews for $2.25. Had a few there, then went on to Avery Brewing, and then Upslope Brewing

Today I did another hundred miles up in the Rockies on Peak to Peak road.

Perfect!

Edited on Aug 04, 2013 at 05:42 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2013 at 05:32 PM
ndirienzo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Rode Mt. Evans while in Colorado

The roads were pretty wet on the way up

So many switchbacks near the top. It was interesting navigating them at 14,000 feet when your bike really wants to stall!

A rather curious marmot

Clearly a bit habituated and probably gets fed quite often by people stopping to take pictures

Pika!

Hugging the mountain

After getting through the cloud layer I got to this

My Tiger enjoying the view

Here's a pano I stitched together

I left Colorado a couple days ago and ended up powering straight on through to Davis. 1180 miles in 16.5 hours. I have to deal with unpacking all our stuff, and didn't feel like spending an extra day just hanging out in some hotel in Nevada. I'm sure I could have found another ride, but things have just been so crazy that I wasn't up for it. I had my fun... time to get back to the real world!

When I got home:

Aug 04, 2013 at 05:35 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

You should be able to get specialized (Capacitive sensing) gloves that work with capacitive touchscreens or you DIY for something like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-A-Glove-Work-With-A-Touch-Screen/

Oh, and nice photos! I'm liking my EOS-M as well and anticipate using it much in the same way as a complement to my 5D.

Aug 04, 2013 at 07:45 PM
veroman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

I'm not seeing any pics. ??

Aug 04, 2013 at 08:03 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Sounds like a fun trip. The M and 5d do compliment each other well. I would like to do a 48 state trip at some point, but I'm usually busy in the summer with seniors and sports though. Some nice shots that you posted. 1000 miles on a bike must be very difficult, I've done similar in a car and that was bad enough.

Aug 04, 2013 at 08:22 PM
cameron12x
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Which Tiger do you have?

I had a DL650 V-Strom and I'm considering getting the Triumph Tiger 800 (street version). It looks like you might have the white XC model? If so, how is the XC on the highway? What kind of aftermarket windscreen did you buy?

Did you shoot any video?

I have a EOS-M and a 5D2 (and soon-to-have 6D). It would be cool to do a trip like yours. Thanks for sharing!

Aug 04, 2013 at 08:51 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

I love seeing "ride reports".

One of these years, I'm going to do a little more than just commute everywhere by bike.

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Excellent visual travelogue! We traveled almost the same routes in Colorado last June, but in an SUV...even then I dreamed of motorcycles on those switchbacks...

Jerry

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:22 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Very cool...I hope to one day go on a massive road trip or 10, time will tell!

Looks like it was a lot of fun.

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:39 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Edit, no pics from georgia to ks?

Aug 04, 2013 at 09:52 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

So, ndirienzo have you started white-lining yet?

Edited on Aug 05, 2013 at 02:40 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2013 at 10:00 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Welcome to nor cal, it's the best of the cal's.

Aug 05, 2013 at 12:31 AM
ndirienzo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

cameron12x wrote:
Which Tiger do you have?

I had a DL650 V-Strom and I'm considering getting the Triumph Tiger 800 (street version). It looks like you might have the white XC model? If so, how is the XC on the highway? What kind of aftermarket windscreen did you buy?

Did you shoot any video?

I have a EOS-M and a 5D2 (and soon-to-have 6D). It would be cool to do a trip like yours. Thanks for sharing!

I have the 800 XC. It's great on the highway. The key is the madstad windscreen as the stock screen is terrible. The madstad makes 85mph speeds totally comfortable. Honestly, the regular 800 would be fine for most of my uses, but I already have a 09' Speed Triple and wanted more differentiation between the two. It's nice having the cushy suspension of the XC as well. I was debating between a v-strom and the tiger, and the right deal popped up on the tiger so I pulled the trigger. The extra power is nice, and the triple is super smooth. It's quite fun in the twisty stuff as well. Overall it's been a fantastic bike. I even have a bike rack for it so I can take my mountain bike too and from the trails.

And nope, no video - not really my thing.

robbymack wrote:
Welcome to nor cal, it's the best of the cal's.

Thanks! I'm actually a grad student at UCD, and my wife got her PhD from here. We moved to Athens for her postdoc, but she got a job back here at the university. It's quite nice to be back, although the south did have its perks.

timpdx wrote:
Edit, no pics from georgia to ks?

Nope, I hit traffic in several spots and wasn't in the mood to stop. I got those few pictures in Manhattan, but that's about it. I kinda had a timeline that I had to stick to getting most places, so I wasn't really stopping for many pictures. Doing so allowed me to have extra time in Colorado before my conference started, which I think was a great tradeoff. Plus, there wasn't much in the way of photo ops between Athens and Manhattan.

Aug 05, 2013 at 01:24 AM
cameron12x
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Thanks for the heads-up about the Madstad windscreen. Where did you buy it and how much did it cost?

How did you find the close ratio gearbox for such a long distance trip? Do you wish that 1st gear was a little lower and 6th gear a little higher?

Have you ridden two-up much with your XC? If so, how is it?

(Sorry for the non-photography questions.)

Aug 05, 2013 at 07:48 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Nice photo series! Thanks!

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:09 AM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

I think a trip like this is one of the best reasons for having an EOS-M. I might have even been inclined to save more room, and just bring the EOS-M along with both EOS-M lenses, and no 5DIII.

Agreed about the touchscreen as well. Once I embraced it I have to admit it's pretty effective.

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:44 AM
ndirienzo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

cameron12x wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up about the Madstad windscreen. Where did you buy it and how much did it cost?

How did you find the close ratio gearbox for such a long distance trip? Do you wish that 1st gear was a little lower and 6th gear a little higher?

Have you ridden two-up much with your XC? If so, how is it?

(Sorry for the non-photography questions.)

PM inbound!

Aug 05, 2013 at 09:47 AM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Thanks for sharing and good luck with your research! Second year postdoc here.

Aug 05, 2013 at 02:22 PM
stan23
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

Nice to see you from the 'other' forum

Aug 05, 2013 at 05:37 PM
ndirienzo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Coast to coast moto trip with EOS M and 5Diii

gocolts wrote:
I think a trip like this is one of the best reasons for having an EOS-M. I might have even been inclined to save more room, and just bring the EOS-M along with both EOS-M lenses, and no 5DIII.

Agreed about the touchscreen as well. Once I embraced it I have to admit it's pretty effective.

Yea, this was sorta a test run with the M. I would be more willing to just use it, but I want something close to my 70-200 2.8. I shoot with that focal length a ton and wasn't about to leave it at home. By the time you're dragging a 70-200 along, you might as well just toss the body in there as well! We'll have to see what sort of tele Canon comes out for the M. I guess I could just bring my 100 macro with an adapter next time.

dfresh wrote:
Thanks for sharing and good luck with your research! Second year postdoc here.

Thanks! I was schmoozing for postdocs at this conference. Had a few top-tier professors that really liked my ideas and are interested in working together. Now, just to write some grants!

stan23 wrote:
Nice to see you from the 'other' forum

Ha, good to see you too!

Aug 05, 2013 at 06:11 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.