FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · The world's sharpest lenses

alfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The world's sharpest lenses

Or so they say:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2013/07/the-ten-sharpest-lenses.html

It's certainly an interesting list...

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:31 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The world's sharpest lenses

That needs to be astrixed with *currently in production.

I am shocked that Canon 200/2 L tests better than the 70-200/2.8L II. The 200's the only lens on the list I've used for any length of time, but I never picked up the 200/2 for absolute sharpness. To me, the 70-200 would win based on the fact that it's so well corrected. The axial CA on the 200 didn't clear up until f/5.6.

I'm also a little surprised to see the Sigma 70 Macro on the list, since I didn't know the lens existed.

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:46 AM
arthurb
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The world's sharpest lenses

I'm not surprised to see the Voigtlander in there. I've just bought a Voigtlander 90mm f3.5 APO Lanthar SLII for my 5D2 and it is as sharp as a butcher's knife.

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:53 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The world's sharpest lenses

Surprised to see the Zeiss ZE/ZF 18/3.5 on the list since it's often maligned as inferior to the 21/2.8. Their comments about Leica lenses are interesting... I'd be curious to see how the 21 SEM compares against the other wides they included in their top 10.

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:30 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The world's sharpest lenses

I don't want to buy into the exact choices, but will note that of the 10:
one is f2,
five are f2.8,
two are f3.5, and
two more at f4.

Slow lenses are the sharpest lenses, this group average f3.1.

So assuming their methodology was not entirely unsound - and I agree with MJ re the lack of 50mm lenses which regularly top photodo summary numbers - aberration correction of fast lenses carries a heavy penalty even at sharpest apertures. That is my experience also.

OK, I will say more - the 3.5/18mm ZF is not within a bull's roar of the CY 2.8/21mm, not even close. Of course I use ZEISS data, I think maybe they have a better handle on such matters than this fanciful rag.

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:33 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The world's sharpest lenses

it's interesting, but i'm not clear on how exactly they're ranking the lenses. seems they're making some kind of weighted average based on mtfs at different apertures. does how fast the lens is matter when they weigh in wide open mtf? how do they weigh different aspects of the mtf measurements? seems a lot like dxo's lens ratings, which pretty much tell me nothing because the factors they consider most important aren't really the ones that matter to me when choosing a lens.

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:34 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The world's sharpest lenses

It's pretty meaningless of course, and when you think about what is missing, eek.

Leica M, all of them, everything ZEISS ever made bar that poor 18mm Distagon, Leica's R telephotos, the Leica 100/2.8 APO and CV 125mm.

Jul 15, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The world's sharpest lenses

arthurb wrote:
I'm not surprised to see the Voigtlander in there. I've just bought a Voigtlander 90mm f3.5 APO Lanthar SLII for my 5D2 and it is as sharp as a butcher's knife.

That's a gorgeous lens - but not renown for being ultra-sharp (though sharp). I've almost bought it about a dozen times (and put it back in the case each time) as it was replicating too many other unused lenses in the cupboard

Jul 15, 2013 at 03:56 AM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The world's sharpest lenses

The sharpest lens I've ever used *wide open* is the Canon 180L. Three different copies over 10 years and each was of that quality. The Canon 200L wasn't even close. In fact, I'd place it third behind the 135L.

That's the rub for me on this article -- sharpest wide open and sharpest at f/8 are two different lists. As a speed freak, I only care about one of them. :-)

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:18 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The world's sharpest lenses

rscheffler wrote:
Surprised to see the Zeiss ZE/ZF 18/3.5 on the list since it's often maligned as inferior to the 21/2.8. Their comments about Leica lenses are interesting... I'd be curious to see how the 21 SEM compares against the other wides they included in their top 10.

A rather spurious list to say the least - DxO Mark rates the 18 behind the 15 / Sigma 20 / 21mm / Samsung 14 and Nikon 20mm ! And that's only ultra wide lenses, which don't - shouldn't - make anyone's sharpest lenses list.

Jul 15, 2013 at 04:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The world's sharpest lenses

rscheffler wrote:

I sold my 21 ZE because I think my TS-E 24/3.5L II is better, and they're close enough in focal length that having both didn't make sense. I bought a 18 ZE to use in lieu of my TS-E 17/4L when size and weight are at a premium. The TS-E 24/3.5L II is nicely covered by the EF 24-70/2.8L II in the same circumstances.

I'm very happy with my decision. I've never had a bad word for either the 18/3.5 ZE or 21/2.8 ZE.

Jul 15, 2013 at 06:14 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The world's sharpest lenses

Once it gets to an acceptably high level of sharpness, I don't really care. I care much more about drawing style, micro contrast, field curvature, starbursts, bokeh quality, sharpness at max aperture, build quality, and resistance to chromatic aberrations.

Jul 15, 2013 at 06:53 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The world's sharpest lenses

FlyPenFly wrote:
Once it gets to an acceptably high level of sharpness, I don't really care. I care much more about drawing style, micro contrast, field curvature, starbursts, bokeh quality, sharpness at max aperture, build quality, and resistance to chromatic aberrations.

Absolutely correct.

Jul 15, 2013 at 07:38 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The world's sharpest lenses

I see they've limited it to SLR lenses, or so it seems. As mentioned, no Leica M, and the Olympus 75/1.8 would almost certainly be up there if they'd added mirrorless lenses. (I've owner some if the lenses on the list, and the Ily 75 is at least as sharp and likely sharper than them)

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:19 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The world's sharpest lenses

Panasonic 20mm F1.7, a perfect example of a sharp but unexciting disappointing lens.

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:25 AM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The world's sharpest lenses

freaklikeme wrote:
That needs to be astrixed with *currently in production.

and **to fit CaNikon cameras

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:42 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The world's sharpest lenses

+1 @ FlyPenFly

Sometimes the penalties that are required to be paid for uber-sharp resolution can come in various forms (i.e. choose your poison). This is what keeps me away from a lot of different glass that might be 2% sharper or cost 200% more for that extra 2%.

I can't argue with the 24L TS-E II as it is in my bag likely to stay for a very long time. While it is certainly sharp ... it is also very well corrected, which is good for any glass, but even more impressive for WA where it starts getting even tougher to do both the wider you go.

On the other side of normal, the Leica R 90/2.8 Elmarit (my highest Photodo rated lens) might be something that bests/rivals the Voigt 90, but of course is no longer in production. http://www.photodo.com/lens/Leica-ElmaritR-90mm-f28-944/images

Here's a link for a few more of the oldies but goodies to compare/contrast with the (thanks for sharing) OP top 10 list.
http://www.photodo.com/browse-lenses/sort-mtf-score-desc

Jul 15, 2013 at 09:39 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The world's sharpest lenses

What a dumb list-- nothing about medium and large format lenses. Every one of those lenses take a back seat to the 80/4 lens for the Mamiya 7.

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The world's sharpest lenses

luminosity wrote:
What a dumb list-- nothing about medium and large format lenses. Every one of those lenses take a back seat to the 80/4 lens for the Mamiya 7.

in what way? I doubt that the 80 can put down more lp/mm than the current best 35mm lenses.

yes I have owned it, and frankly it would definitely get a vote from me for being one of the best ever, but if we're going to have multiple formats and just do line pairs per image height, anything made past 1970 that covers 8x10 and isnt an extreme design is going to demolish the Mamiya.

this is a list only of the sharpest 35mm full frame lenses they had tested to date in 2011. if you don't limit it by format then either a bunch of ULF lenses or tiny plastic lenses made to cover miniscule sensors win depending on how you measure it.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The world's sharpest lenses

btw remember when Lens Rentals did terminal resolution at MTF50 tests and the Canon 50/1.4 beat the 50/2 Makro-Planar at every aperture tested both for center and average resolution? And how the Nikon 50/1.4G beat it for average resolution?

Let's not forget how the Leica lenses hosed the Zeiss ZM lenses? (as a side note the 50/1.5 sonnar beat the 50/2 planar for average resolution at f2 and 2.8, and center at 2.8)

so, out of curiosity, how many of you dumped your Zeiss 50 for a Canon/Nikon/Leica?

any test is a compromise, and the more of the whole picture it shows the longer it takes and most reviewers dont have time to do tests as rigorous as the old photodo rankings (which I dearly, dearly wish we could have more of).

btw Roger if you're reading this you said you would do nex-7 tests of all the lenses, please do =/ and include everything you did, and anything else you can find. Ill even lend you both the OM 50 macros to include if you like.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.