New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · PayPal Scams

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PayPal Scams

I have a lens for sale here and on CL. I have received two offers, both of which were obviously scams. Both offered to pay me through PayPal my asking price and additional money to ship it to a "friend" or their "son." to a third location.

Obviously, this isn't legit, but how to they scam through PayPal? Once they PayPal the money how do they get it back after you send them the merch?

Is there a way to protect yourself from this?

Thanks

B

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:34 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PayPal Scams

I can tell you from first hand experience. I lost $2500 on a 1dmk3 sale on ebay this way. If you ship it to an address OTHER than the registered PayPal address of the buyer then PayPal will not be liable in any way. What happened to me was the "buyer" deposited the money in my PayPal acct then emailed me a UPS shipping label to a different address. I actually emailed him to confirm the different address and got a positive response. I sent the camera to the new address and then the "buyer" tells PayPal that his ebay acct was hacked and he didn't buy the camera. PayPal refunds the money from my acct and I lose camera and money. It was an expensive lesson but now I can spot a scam a mile away. Right now I have my 5d2 on CL and here. On CL I've already had 2 scam offers. For what it's worth I've noticed a couple of consistent things in scams, 1. they offer to pay more than selling price, 2. they ask if you will ship it overnight, 3. they ask for your PayPal email address (doesn't exist), 4. they often don't speak in any detail about the item and 5. they often start with "Good Day". hope this helps

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:00 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PayPal Scams

Thanks. So, you are covered if you are sending to their actual PayPal address?

B

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:02 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PayPal Scams

yes and if they really need it sent to another address they can add that to their PayPal acct as a confirmed address. In my case after sometime I concluded that there were 2 guys working as a team. one guy buys it and I send it to the second guy and the first guy says his acct was hacked. Recently while selling my 1d3 I had a buyer on ebay and after 48 hrs there hadn't been any money deposited so I sent and email to the buyer saying that the camera will not be shipped until the money has been deposited in my PP acct. Then I get this very apologetic email saying the money is coming and he is out of town so he needs me to send it OVERNIGHT to his cousin and he posts an address in NIGERIA!! I'm thinking what balls you have brother! I sent an immediate email saying transaction is terminated, goodbye. I then called ebay and told them this story and got them to wave all fees for the listing.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:19 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PayPal Scams

Yeah.. one of my CL scams was to send to a nigerian address.. .

B

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:23 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PayPal Scams

well I'm much wiser but it came at a price. too bad I didn't just a couple of hundred. Interestingly though after my bad experience I had about 60 days of issues and conversations with PP. They kinda made me the bad guy like I had a part in it. They wanted a copy of my passport or drivers license and a letter from my bank confirming who I was. No one would listen until finally I spoke to a supervisor who agreed I was the victim and unfroze my acct to good standing. What an ordeal!

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:02 PM
cineski
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PayPal Scams

If they send via gift, as far as I know, there is no scamming that can be done.

Jul 04, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PayPal Scams

cineski wrote:
If they send via gift, as far as I know, there is no scamming that can be done.

I think you have that ass-backwards:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1055958

Jul 04, 2013 at 09:25 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PayPal Scams

I think you may, Imagemaster ;-). If you are on the receiving end of the money, gift is in your favor.

Jul 05, 2013 at 07:45 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PayPal Scams

I find that any time a buyer makes a special request, it's often a scam.

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:33 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PayPal Scams

cineski wrote:
I think you may, Imagemaster ;-). If you are on the receiving end of the money, gift is in your favor.

You made the blanket statement: there is no scamming that can be done. , which is incorrect.

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:57 AM
JMBANAS
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · PayPal Scams

I didn't realize that if you sent an item to another address you are waiving your rights under the PayPal agreement. I have bought a number of items on the B&S board and make it a point to pay right away using PayPal. But, I have always asked people to send it to my work so I can sign for it. (I am not sure what is worse, having to travel to the UPS area to pick it up or having something worth a lot of money sitting on my porch.) I work for a federal judge and send it c/o her name to the Courthouse. I always thought that was comforting enought that I am not scamming someone. The last item I tried to buy, well, it was not comforting at all. He clearly thought I was trying to scam him. Now, I understand why. I will have to look into adding my work address to my verified PayPal address. I didn't realize I was asking people to waive what little protection they have. Thank you for the lesson.

Michael

Jul 05, 2013 at 10:50 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · PayPal Scams

In the context of this post, what I said was correct.

Imagemaster wrote:
You made the blanket statement: , which is incorrect.

Jul 05, 2013 at 11:08 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · PayPal Scams

Now I'm REALLY gun shy. I have another offer on my lens. This time the guy has given me his paypal email and asked me to invoice him. I've asked him to tell me where he is located and explained I've had several scam attempts already and I won't ship anywhere other than his PP shipping address. He says: Definitely and I am paying u first, so i should be the one to worry any way.

Then I ask him to please tell me where he is located - he says:

"Oklahoma city, Ok. But not available for the exchange so I'm gonna include the postage charges to NY."

! Yet another one. Sad.

I told him to meet me face-to-face or send a family member.

B

Jul 05, 2013 at 08:53 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · PayPal Scams

blutch, sounds like you averted a scam. I still don't get the "PayPal email" because when you want someone to pay you via PP, as I just did with my 1d3, YOU log into PP and click on receive a deposit. You give PP the amount and the email address of the buyer and THEY send the request for the payment to be paid via a credit card. Of course they pay first but their money is protected if you don't deliver. I just had a very nice sale this way on my 1d3 and all went perfect. If he says I'm paying you first so I should worry he's just a good scammer who's hoping you don't know. My 5d2 is on sale here and CL and so far I've had 3 scams on CL the most recent was this morning with "Good day is your camera still sale? Text me at ********". Robert

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:12 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · PayPal Scams

So, it would be better to give them by paypal address and have them just send me the payment?

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:24 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · PayPal Scams

Not another peep out of him btw.

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:27 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · PayPal Scams

if you go to paypal you will see the option to "receive" a payment. click on that and you just fill in the buyers email address and amount expected and paypal does the rest. they send the buyer an email that links to paypal and the buyer inputs their CC info and it's a done deal. I just used this feature for the first time the other as all other buyers had PP accts but this guy didn't. It worked perfect but then the buyer was a legit guy. Robert

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:37 AM
pnjenkins

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · PayPal Scams

I believe there is another version of the scam where they use the invoice info to send you a fake PayPal email saying payment received. If you ship the item without logging into your Paypal account and checking you've been had.

Jul 06, 2013 at 08:57 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · PayPal Scams

Yes, I've had 4 attempts so far. Every one of them pushed me to send them the paypal invoice. I think once you send the invoice you are had because they can then say send it to another address or they can fake payment. I think it is better if you give them your paypal address and have them pay you directly by sending money through their paypal acct. This way you can verify the shipping address is their paypal shipping address and you only send it there.

I'm very nervous about this crap.

b

Jul 06, 2013 at 10:55 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.