New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

alfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

As someone who shoots 99% of the time with center point only on their 5D3, it occured after reading reviews that I should consider switching to the 6D and get some nice glass with the difference. While I don't use all the focus points or Servo AF modes on my 5D3, it's comforting knowing they're there. I can make arguments both ways, but am curious what other factors to consider in such a decision?

Thx,
ALF

Jun 30, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

Build quality is prob the biggest difference. Both cameras do high ISOs (100K+). DR is close I do believe. I think you will get more out of a 6D + great glass than a 5D3 and consumer glass. Buffer and ergonomics might be different. Hold a 6D and see if you can live with it

Edited on Jun 30, 2013 at 09:54 PM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2013 at 09:53 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

The 5DM3's AF is more precise (consistent) than the 6D, esp with the newer class of Canon lenses. On the other hand the 6D has modestly better High ISO performance than the 5DM3, specifically for dynamic range/shadow noise.

Jun 30, 2013 at 09:54 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

Spot AF is almost worth it alone for 5D III and is a godsend for fast glass shot wide open or near so. Can't believe you'd be much ahead after depreciation of 5D III (have to sell at a discount) and new 6D.

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

Why would you want to go backwards? On top of the money wasted by the initial 5D purchase. You will be out shooting one day and think I really need those features of the Mark III and instead you will have a 6D. If it was me I would just stay put.

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM
sean4230
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

no. don't do it.

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

-3EV is so dead sexxeh....

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

Hi ALF, looking over your profile list of lenses I don't see many holes, except for an ultra wide, maybe a longer telephoto, all the glass you have is quite good.

I'd add an ultra wide only if you would really use one, the 17-40 is nice, but you don't really need one as you could use your 24-105 and stitch together a few shots for a wider image, even a panorama; you'd actually get a nice higher-res file.

I had the 70-300 IS and loved it, found I didn't need the extra 100mm and sold it, picked up a 70-200 f4L IS, but two years later added the 300 f4L IS as I found the 1.4x II extender on the 70-200 less AF capable, usable but...bare lenses are faster, have better IQ.

Other then a long tele, 400mm and up, your kit seems great, and if you decided on a longer tele the 5D3 would be the better body given it's AF prowess...when/if action type shots are involved. Additionally, the 5D3 has a 100 percent viewfinder, the 6D is less, hides some of the image edges from you, this could affect composition, you'd just have to adjust to the diffecence.

The 6D is lighter, has some neat features, WiFi, GPS, interchangeable focusing screens if you were to use fast and or manual glass. As mentioned above I'd check the body out first, see if it's shape/size/weight/grip feel okay...if you like the weight reduction; need it, and the other goodies it might be a good choice...

However, the 6D looses the QCD and joystick, if you're are use to those features take a good look/feel of the 6D's as it combines them into a one wheel/button solution, like the 60D has. Also the 6D only uses SD cards, rendering your CF cards useless; unless you've another body that uses CF cards.

Also, if you shoot video the 5D3 is the better choice, it's options for sound, a mic and the fact that it has little to no aliasing/moire, the 6D has nasty aliasing/moire, this gives the 5D3 a huge bonus for video work. You could buy a 3rd-party anti-aliasing/moire filter for the 6D but they cost near 500 plus installation if you can't won't try it yourself...

And lastly, as mentioned by others, you're going to loose some money selling the 5D3, refurbs with a 1 year warranty are selling for 2800, with a CLP discount that drops to 2400...I think I'd keep the 5D3 and save for a new lens, a flash or whatever else you might be missing from your kit.

I'm still shooting crop bodies, am lusting after FF, to 6D or 5D3 has been a big question for me, one that is being tabled until next year, as I'm undecided if/when I'll grab a 400mm, if I get the f5.6L I'd probably add a 1.4x T/C for extra reach, and thus require AF at f8...the 6D can't manage AF at f8, at f5.6 it's fine tho.

Brain dump finished, hope I didn't confuse the issue tooooo much,
Jerry

Edited on Jul 01, 2013 at 12:30 AM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:04 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

I'm from Vegas too. I wouldn't get a 6D personally because 1/180 flash sync is godawful slow, no pc sync port means I'm stuck with much more limited options for controlling off-camera lighting while also having on-camera flash, and 1/8000 comes in handy when trying to shoot in daylight at f/1.4-f/2.

However, I'm not thrilled with the 5d3 either. I don't like the weird personality quirks of the AF system with its various pauses and delays in low light or on lower contrast subjects (though I never thought of faces as low contrast). And the shadow noise reminds me of just how good the D800 was for that...

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM
myron lee
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

What does the D800 has to to with his question. Form do you sell Nikons for a living?

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

if it floats your boat I say do it. Although I am not sure you'll get as much trade value you think for the 5diii in order to upgrade to a nice lens plus a 6D, but I could be wrong. In my mind the advantages of the 6D are smaller form factor, wifi and gps built in. The trade is of course AF, but if you're a center point only guy that not a big deal.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

Thanks everyone for the info. The video aliasing is probably the deal-killer for me. I don't do a lot of video, but enough that quality matters. My thoughts were similar to what was echoed here, so it's nice to have them reenforced. :-)

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

alfarmer wrote:
Thanks everyone for the info. The video aliasing is probably the deal-killer for me. I don't do a lot of video, but enough that quality matters. My thoughts were similar to what was echoed here, so it's nice to have them reenforced. :-)

+1.

It's really a shame this is the case.

Jul 01, 2013 at 01:30 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

If you already own the 5D3 it's no point in doing it.

Jul 01, 2013 at 01:50 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
If you already own the 5D3 it's no point in doing it.

+1

I have both and while the 6D is an excellent camera the 5D3 is the better camera in almost every way

Jul 01, 2013 at 02:32 AM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

dhphoto wrote:
+1

I have both and while the 6D is an excellent camera the 5D3 is the better camera in almost every way

+2 Same here, I completely agree.

Jul 01, 2013 at 05:36 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sell 5D3, get 6D?

For someone like myself who uses manual focus 99% of the time, I considered downgrading my 5DIII to a 5DII. I have UWA to tele convered with the L lenses I have in my bag, but the more I thought about it, the most I knew I couldn't do it. I would definitely keep the 5DIII.

-Nick

Jul 01, 2013 at 09:20 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.