New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma's new USB dock!

ilnonno
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma's new USB dock!

Sorry, was too excited after watching the video online and had to post!

The USB dock Sigma is selling does what has been asked by users for years: it allows for AF fine tune for various distances, and for various zoom settings!
No more AF fine tuning for "near" shots, and seeing af precision drop at a distance, or vice versa, and no more good calibration at 200mm, and mediocre at 70mm, for instance.

Price is just 60€ or so, and the software appears very user friendly.
I am amazed at Sigma (not to mention the 35 1.4... but that's old news already!

Super!
Lory

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:25 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma's new USB dock!

I like the idea of the dock, but can you imagine the people who already spend all of their time testing their gear? I can practically hear the gleeful giggling from here.

I am all for doing basic testing of gear but I think I'd go nuts if I tried to fine tune a lens for 3-4 different focal lengths @ 3-4 different focus distances.

Nonetheless, as an engineer, anything that provides customization to the end user I consider to be a good thing.

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:45 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma's new USB dock!

I'm assuming that USB dock from Sigma is only good with their lenses?

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:50 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma's new USB dock!

MRomine wrote:
I'm assuming that USB dock from Sigma is only good with their lenses?

So far it would seem so.

Apr 26, 2013 at 08:57 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma's new USB dock!

I highly doubt that Sigma is going to reverse-engineer Nikon's firmware enough to allow their dock to make lens modifications - and anyway, it's not unlikely that Nikon would slap them with a lawsuit if they did.

Apr 26, 2013 at 09:02 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma's new USB dock!

I've already got the 120-300 and dock on preorder, I'm stoked

Apr 26, 2013 at 09:14 AM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma's new USB dock!

binary visions wrote:
I like the idea of the dock, but can you imagine the people who already spend all of their time testing their gear? I can practically hear the gleeful giggling from here.

We've got SW (focal) that will analyze images and tell us what the best MA setting is at any focal length. Why not build the ability to check, MA and set the lens accordingly into the AF system/Expeed processor and lenses?

On the fly . . . . . . .

Then a lot of folks will have nothing to do!

And (God forbid) tell you if you have a sharp copy based on a database of all the identical lenses.

Apr 26, 2013 at 09:57 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma's new USB dock!

I think this thing is very helpful for Sigma. Now they can build even more lenses with crappy AF-precision because the customers have a toy that enables them to spend many hours in tuning their lenses. And so cost can go down for Sigma as precise manufacturing and QC is less important.

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:18 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma's new USB dock!

^^ Conspiracy theory finds its way into photography chat space

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:25 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma's new USB dock!

wiseguy010 wrote:
I think this thing is very helpful for Sigma. Now they can build even more lenses with crappy AF-precision because the customers have a toy that enables them to spend many hours in tuning their lenses. And so cost can go down for Sigma as precise manufacturing and QC is less important.

Actually, as of late, Sigma has been doing a great job on QC. I hope that lasts ... and that someone at Sigma does not get the bright idea of using user-calibration as a means to save cost.

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:31 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma's new USB dock!

Actually, as of late, neither Nikon or Canon have been doing a great job on QC. I hope that doesn't last....

About 50% of the lenses I test are so out of calibration that if they were my personal lenses I'd send them in immediately. About one in five have serious decentering problems - serious enough to make the four image corners visibly different in sharpness and CA, even in rather small image sizes.

Apr 26, 2013 at 01:34 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma's new USB dock!

wiseguy010 wrote:

as long as the dock doesn't effect your tin foil hat seriously, this dock is ingenious.

Apr 26, 2013 at 02:13 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma's new USB dock!

Nikon already have problems with different af fine tune values required at different zoom settings and distances. At least sigma are doing more than just allowing a crude offset value.

Apr 26, 2013 at 02:51 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma's new USB dock!

Andre Labonte wrote:
Actually, as of late, Sigma has been doing a great job on QC. I hope that lasts ... and that someone at Sigma does not get the bright idea of using user-calibration as a means to save cost.

My prediction is that from now on not one Sigma lens will leave the factory that is spot on with AF. They will always say that you have to use this dock thing for additional calibrating.

But you know what it is with predictions.......

Apr 27, 2013 at 07:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma's new USB dock!

in the hands of some, a tool. in the hands of others just another thing to use as an excuse for poor results.

Apr 27, 2013 at 08:49 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma's new USB dock!

wiseguy010 wrote:

Man some people just can't get over it... If Nikon/Canon or a hard-to-pronounce fancy German brand came up with this they'll all be in awe for such a revolutionary device... All my Nikon AF-S lenses needed AF tuning (50 1.8G, 28 1.8G, 85 1.4G, hell even my 70-300 VR). Does that make em crappy Mr...? Also, if, and only if, Nikon came up with this, you'll happily spend $300 to buy it and you'll justify it with the motto "OEM is always better"... Battery grips are a good approximation.

I suggest you get over it, Sigma has been outdoing other competitors in terms of lens innovation and optical excellence. I had the Sigma 35 1.4 for two months now and I use it 90% of the time and it still surprises me everyday. And since you're going to mention it, I like its bokeh better than the Nikon & Zeiss.

I have a question though, what is it with you and Sigma that you hate em so much? I mean don't try and say no, cause your posts give you up

Apr 27, 2013 at 09:04 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma's new USB dock!

hijazist wrote:
All my Nikon AF-S lenses needed AF tuning (50 1.8G, 28 1.8G, 85 1.4G, hell even my 70-300 VR). Does that make em crappy Mr...?

Yes, in my opinion this makes them crappy. Lenses just have to focus properly straight out of the box without the need for additional fine tuning by the customer. It is just a lens and a camera that have to work together to give sharp pictures. How difficult can that be? It is not rocket science, but obviously some manufacturers are not prepared to spend the additional cost to get it right and instead let the customers hassle with time consuming fine tuning (that most people can't do properly btw).

If you accept this without any questions, then we have a different opinion about quality. But that was already clear to me.

Apr 27, 2013 at 03:34 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma's new USB dock!

having the AF requirements different from left/centre/right shows a lack of quality control. Having owned all 3, the 35mm for 20 mins or so, I put up with unpredictable AF, hitting & more than often missing. Getting the 35mm cost me $44 to return it, dang it.

Apr 27, 2013 at 03:44 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma's new USB dock!

wiseguy010 wrote:

I hope not, but would not be surprised.

EBH

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:03 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma's new USB dock!

Let's do the neurotic

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.