New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · WOW unbelievable Ebay scam

rd4tile
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WOW unbelievable Ebay scam

This may not be there by the time everyone reads this, there was a 200 f2 VR for $2500 with pics, feedback etc that I found doing an ebay search. Looked totally legit - paypal, pics good feedback until I looked at the address in my browser. Somehow even though I found it via an ebay search it switched me to another ebay looking listing obviously to get one's paypal info. There is still a 200-400 listed from the same seller. Do a search on Nikon 200-400 thru ebay and you'll see it listed, when you click on it watch the address in the browser change!

Unbelievable!

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:09 PM
Studio B

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WOW unbelievable Ebay scam

I took the liberty of reporting this to ebay. The first example in the other thread has been deleted off ebay and they are working on the others. I was told the compromise is with the listing software Auctiva. They are working on a fix.

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:23 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WOW unbelievable Ebay scam

Gee, the scammers are getting better!

Good pickup, thanks for the warning

(though of course the price is stupidly cheap, hopefully that aroused your suspicions)

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:25 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WOW unbelievable Ebay scam

That's very interesting. The simple redirect code in the page is not that impressive considering ebay allows HTML. I went a step further and clicked the 'Buy Now' button. When I entered a made-up log-in, it showed an error just like the real ebay log-in screen would. The only way to accomplish this is to have a script on the page that instantly attempts your log-in info and verifies it. You're on the guy's page now mind you and he can place whatever script he wants there. But it still takes sophisticated coding to execute this so smoothly.

Apr 08, 2013 at 07:33 PM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WOW unbelievable Ebay scam

It's an XSS attack that uses a bug in third-party software to lift your ebay and paypal credentials.

There have been others. About a year ago there was a third-party bug that permitted credentials to be stolen if you simply viewed a listing while logged in. It used a specially formulated link to point directly to the listing. The listings were placed in forums, looking like a great deal and were always relevant to the forum, making people click through.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:09 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WOW unbelievable Ebay scam

this is like the 5th thread on this...today...

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:20 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WOW unbelievable Ebay scam

BenV wrote:
this is like the 5th thread on this...today...

my bad, I missed the earlier thread.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:54 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WOW unbelievable Ebay scam

this isn't a new scam - seen this before a year ago when looking for a nice mountain bike. Whenever you see an image in the message with an email address and a buy it now that's not market value, check the other auctions and you'll see a few hundred expensive items, usually all of them at the same buy it now. The actual account is usually hacked and has nothing to do with the items for sale by the scammer - check their feedback and what type of items they are for. A week ago some guy was selling 400mm f2.8 AFS lenses, but the account had feedback only for little trinkets and sewing supplies. You never get replies when you contact them through the ebay ask questions link - red flag right there.

Apr 08, 2013 at 09:12 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WOW unbelievable Ebay scam

pburke wrote:
this isn't a new scam - seen this before a year ago when looking for a nice mountain bike. Whenever you see an image in the message with an email address and a buy it now that's not market value, check the other auctions and you'll see a few hundred expensive items, usually all of them at the same buy it now. The actual account is usually hacked and has nothing to do with the items for sale by the scammer - check their feedback and what type of items they are for. A week ago some guy was selling
...Show more

What mountain bike?

These scams are getting better all the time, and pretty disappointing that ebay can be used this way...

Apr 08, 2013 at 10:56 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WOW unbelievable Ebay scam

rd4tile wrote:
This may not be there by the time everyone reads this, there was a 200 f2 VR for $2500 with pics, feedback etc that I found doing an ebay search. Looked totally legit - paypal, pics good feedback until I looked at the address in my browser. Somehow even though I found it via an ebay search it switched me to another ebay looking listing obviously to get one's paypal info. There is still a 200-400 listed from the same seller. Do a search on Nikon 200-400 thru ebay and you'll see it listed, when you click on it watch
...Show more

So that's how they did it. Ebay's systems were hacked. Either that or they found more profit in joining the scammers.

Edit: Never mind, I see what you guys are saying, the redirect happens from clicking a link on ebay's search page.....got it.

Apr 09, 2013 at 05:02 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.