Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

super35
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

DXO publishes 85 lens tests on the 5D Mark III

Apr 03, 2013 at 06:32 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

I thank you for posting the link, even though I take DxO's arbitrary weightings and conclusions with a large grain of salt, their actual test data is pretty good.

Photographers: Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS? Choose the one(s) you need. Not the ones you can brag about.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:01 PM
nikey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

Get the 24-70mkII & 70-200mkII and you'll be all set.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:16 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

nikey wrote:

That's a superb 2 lens kit and you cannot go wrong starting there. Add a very fast prime or two or maybe a good landscape lens (16-35 f/2.8 mk II) or longer telephoto and your are set.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

24-105, 100-400, 100L, 1.4x (after f8 update), 35 f2 IS, 17-40 and light tripod. In that order.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:25 PM
super35
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

Monito wrote:
I thank you for posting the link, even though I take DxO's arbitrary weightings and conclusions with a large grain of salt, their actual test data is pretty good.

Photographers: Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS? Choose the one(s) you need. Not the ones you can brag about.

Monito I agree with you. The only problem I have with DXO is the bias they give to certain scores. For example: I still don't understand why low ISO dynamic range is more important than high ISO dynamic range.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:27 PM
super35
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

P.S. Don't forget the 40mm 2.8. Punches way above it's $$$ class knocking out 18 MP on the 5D3.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

wrote:
a good landscape lens (16-35 f/2.8 mk II)

I wish people would give up the idea that "landscape = wide angle" and that "portrait = head & shoulders".

The world of photography is much more imaginative than that.

16-35 is an ultra-wide to wide zoom lens. It is not a "landscape lens", which is a fallacious concept since all focal lengths from 14 to 400 and more are very good for landscapes.

The Canon 16-35 f/2.8 L Mark II is an excellent lens, even if DxO does give the Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 better ratings for sharpness, distortion, and chromatic aberration (they rate them equally on overall score).

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:31 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

Interesting to see that Sigma has the top 2 lenses on the mark iii. Glad I own them too

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:35 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

super35 wrote:
Monito I agree with you. The only problem I have with DXO is the bias they give to certain scores. For example: I still don't understand why low ISO dynamic range is more important than high ISO dynamic range.

Yes, that is what I mean by "arbitrary weightings". People weight factors differently depending on their needs (or more often, their lust).

For another example, DxO tends to rate full-frame DSLRs better for image quality than the best medium-format backs.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:36 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

Monito wrote:
I wish people would give up the idea that "landscape = wide angle" and that "portrait = head & shoulders".

16-35 is an ultra-wide to wide zoom lens. It is not a "landscape lens", which is a fallacious concept since all focal lengths from 14 to 400 and more are very good for landscapes.

The Canon 16-35 f/2.8 L Mark II is an excellent lens, even if DxO does give the Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 better ratings for sharpness, distortion, and chromatic aberration (they rate them equally on overall score).

I use plenty of different FL for landscape, but it's a simple fact you can do some creative stuff with the UWA you cannot with a much longer FL. Additionally no one is preventing anyone from using their longer lenses for landscape.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:41 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I use plenty of different FL for landscape, but it's a simple fact you can do some creative stuff with the UWA you cannot with a much longer FL. Additionally no one is preventing anyone from using their longer lenses for landscape.

I use many focal lengths for landscape, but it's a simple fact that you can do some creative stuff with the telephoto focal lengths that you can't with a much shorter focal length. Additionally no one is preventing anyone from using their shorter lenses for landscape.

There is no such thing as a "landscape lens". There are subsets of lenses that can be called "bird in flight lenses" or macro lenses and to a lesser extent "sports lenses". But not "landscape lenses".

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

Monito wrote:
There is no such thing as a "landscape lens". There are subsets of lenses that can be called "bird in flight lenses" or macro lenses and to a lesser extent "sports lenses". But not "landscape lenses".

Pedantic semantics just to be argumentative. The vast majority of "Landscape" images by pros and amateurs are taken with UWA or WA lenses like it or not. Of course there's no such thing technically as a landscape lens, but most people associate UWA lens with landscape photography. I'd rather use an UWA for landscape than most other shooting.

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
The vast majority of "Landscape" images by pros and amateurs are taken with UWA or WA lenses like it or not.

Amateurs, yes. Pros, nope. Pro landscape photographers use a fairly even spread of focal lengths.

Not semantics. It's about mind set. If you think landscape = wide you literally don't see (perceive) lots of great landscapes and miss a lot.

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:04 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

For many years I only used an EF 300 4L USM for landscapes. I got so used to the field of view and perspective that I rarely removed it from my camera. Now I rarely use that lens but seem to favor 24mm the most. I'm guessing it has something to do with getting older and having to carry lighter and less gear. So your mind's eye can adapt...

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Mauro Moretti
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

24 70 2.8L ii
17-40 4L
135 2L
40 2.8

I am missing (in that order)
70 200 2.8 IS II L
sigma 35 1.4 or canon 35 2 IS (not sure yet, but it will be a while until I need to decide)
change 17 40 for 17 TSE (even further into the future, couple of years maybe).

Edited on Apr 03, 2013 at 08:19 PM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:19 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

Monito wrote:

Since we're being pedantic here; A quote from Dictionary.com

-scape
a combining form extracted from landscape, denoting “an extensive view, scenery,” or “a picture or representation” of such a view, as specified by the initial element: cityscape; moonscape; seascape.

From MacMillan:

-scape
used with some nouns to make nouns describing a wide view of a particular type

So, by definition, landscape is a wide, extensive view of the land. Please tell me where a ~100 to 400mm lens ever gives a wide or extensive view of anything.

Sure, one can shoot landscape with narrow ranges, and often times they're nice, but the generally accepted nomenclature relating to "landscape lens" would be a UWA to WA lens. No need to get all crusade-y

Edited on Apr 03, 2013 at 08:22 PM · View previous versions

timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

Not to belabor the point, but their overemphasis on mpix rating is really sad. A theoretical difference is one thing, but at normal print sizes a human's ability to perceive a difference is what really matters. I guarantee the extra MP on the d800 have a negligible effect

timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

nikey wrote:

Wish I had $4k left to spend after buying 2 mk3's....

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:24 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which lenses should you choose for your Canon EOS 5D Mark III?

timbop wrote:
Not to belabor the point, but their overemphasis on mpix rating is really sad. A theoretical difference is one thing, but at normal print sizes a human's ability to perceive a difference is what really matters. I guarantee the extra MP on the d800 have a negligible effect

Depends - Back in the d.a.y. I was comparing the new kid on the block at the time, the high MP beast A850/A900 vs my former D700. I wanted to see just how much +12MP meant in a 13x19 print from imaging resource.

The difference was definitely noticeable and the A850 shots definitely outresolved the D700.. Even my wife noticed the difference in the prints, and that's saying something (she's not into peeping, like most sane people).

Their crayon / thread / scale test photo setup is perfect for checking out fine detail resolving.

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:24 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.