New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

Guari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

I thought I'd let you guys know about the backfocusing of my 35.

I pre-ordered the lens and received it in December. As you all know, the lens is just spectacular. However, it took -19 to fine tune in my D800. And it didn't come into perfect sharpness in my wife's D600, so I sent it to Sigma UK.

I sent it by the beginning of January. Received a "receipt acknowledgement". A week and a half passed, I wrote an email asking for the status and got a reply stating that sigma was aware of calibration problems and were expecting a solution from sigma Japan.

Fast forward to today, I received an email stating that Sigma UK has now received the software upgrade from Sigma Japan and that the lens has undergone the necessary update and calibration..

Will get it in a couple days so everything should be in working order..

Edited on Feb 19, 2013 at 02:09 PM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

Looking forward to seeing the result of this.

Mine does not focus well using the outer focus points but I can get very reliable focus using the centre point with a little AF tune applied. I could AF tune the lens entry for the outer focus points but then the centre focus is well off.

There's been talk the outer focus points require a certain calibration from Sigma but I don't know if that is Nikon model specific.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM
equestrianguy
• •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

Just to ad to this if you are going to be buying sigma glass you may want to invest into the USB calibration tool they came out with that will allow you to do factory calibration on most sigma lenses without the need to send them in.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM
merosen
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

I wonder If the USB calibrator will be available to the end user or will it be a dealer item.
i.e.: service what they sell
Get people to buy from B&M's instead of the big boys
Support your local camera store.
or it may disappear.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

Yes, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the calibration came out. It took 3 weeks from their side to sort out the problem, but at least they were open about the need for an update from Japan.. Will report back once I get it.

I would love to be able to fine tune myself using the dock but this is my last acquisition for the time being, either nikon or sigma. I'm well stocked for lenses. The only one I'm eyeing is the new Nikon 18-35 for my wife, as she loves UWA's but our 16-35 proves to be too heavy for her and she doesn't enjoy it.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM
ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

I call Sigma a few weeks ago because of the problems I was having with the first copy of this lens and the gentleman told me "don't use the outer focus points, instead use the center focus point, focus and recompose". The are working on a firmware fix for the D4 & D800. The replacment copy I received performs a bit better than the first. I would to see how they will handle your copy.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Cagey75

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

The first copy I received was way off too, I was at -20 micro adjust and it wasn't enough. that's just way off for a new lens, what would I do if I went to sell it on to someone who didn't use a cam with MA in future? I sent it back and demanded a replacement. Sigma told the sotre I bought from that I would have to wait until they checked it out, I was having none of it. Told the store that was their issue with sigma, not mine, which is true. So they did send me a fresh one, fair play.

Sigma have a rake of excuses re: this lens. Especially once they hear "D800" from the customer. They will try make out it's user error, that you just can't handle such a packed sensor at 1.4! The cheek!

Demand a replacement, you have every right to.

The 2nd copy I got is perfect, no issues.

Feb 16, 2013 at 08:54 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

Well, I made the choice of keeping it even though I needed -19 to bring it to the prime on my body. I took the 35 to South america with a 85 1.8 "just in case", and I never had the need to unglue the 35 from the body. I'm that happy!

I do find -19 a little bit too much though.

I got the lens yesterday. Haven't had the chance to play with it and see how the calibration/software came through. If it's off, I'll send it back.

This is what I got from their last email:

"Dear Gus,
Fortunately the technician has been successful with the update received from Japan and your lens has been adjusted accordingly.
We will despatch it..."

And on the receipt order I got the following:

"Work Carried Out
ADJUST FOR FRONT/BACK FOCUS
Reset, Check & Test"

No mention of software update on the work receipt though

Edited on Feb 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

I want this lens but very nervous about the issues people seem to have with the D800, if there really is a software update it is impossible to know whether a new lens will have had it or not. My experience with sigma uk has been pretty positive (unlike nikon uk) so may bite the bullet

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Red G8R
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

Mine focuses perfectly on both my D4 and D600 without any adjustments. I did however have a problem with the first lens developing condensation on the inside of the front lens element when I was outside in -12 C. It happened only once and could not be repeated but I exchanged it since I couldn't chance it happening again. This lens is so impressive that it's worth having plus Sigma Canada gives a 10 year warranty on it.

Feb 16, 2013 at 01:39 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

I have finally set the lens on the tripod and set up an interferometry target to evaluate the lens after adjust/software install by Sigma UK using my D800.

Sharpest focus occurs at microadjust -8. It used to be -19 before sending it in.

All focus points were tested and they all give consistent focus with the lens. No shift at all.

I'm happy. I would have been happier if after the calibration the microadjust would have been 0 (As all my other lenses which are around +/- 3) but -8 will do in both my body and my wife's D600..

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:03 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

Guari wrote:
I have finally set the lens on the tripod and set up an interferometry target to evaluate the lens after adjust/software install by Sigma UK using my D800.

Sharpest focus occurs at microadjust -8. It used to be -19 before sending it in.

All focus points were tested and they all give consistent focus with the lens. No shift at all.

I'm happy. I would have been happier if after the calibration the microadjust would have been 0 (As all my other lenses which are around +/- 3) but -8 will do in both my body and my wife's D600..

Not really a whole lot you can do about that. If it was Nikon lens/camera combo, you could send them both in, but its not.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:20 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 35 f1.4 repair UPDATED

Excellent news.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.