New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Real-world sample: 24-105mm and 5DII image

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Real-world sample: 24-105mm and 5DII image

Today I was working on a photograph of an old building from China Camp, California:

http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/7134-3/WeatheredWallWindowRustedChimneyChinaCamp20130106.jpg

As I worked on it I realized that it could provide a reasonably good sample of the performance of the EF 24-105mm lens in one limited case on a 5D2, so I sliced it up and made the following sample:

http://www.gdanmitchell.com/images/24_105SharpnessExample100mmf11.jpg

Depending upon the resolution of the screen on your computer, these crops represent a photograph that might be a print of between perhaps between 60" and 84" wide. It would be a pretty good print. (I typically crop to a 4:3 aspect ratio. In the small version of the photograph posted above, I chose to crop mostly from the left side. You can still see the bit of the rafter on the right side in both examples. The image was not cropped vertically at all.)

I have no illusions that this example is "proof" of much beyond the limited case it shows. However, 100mm is not usually regarded as the sharpest focal length on this lens (that would likely be around 50mm), and this turns out pretty well even in the far corners.

Dan

Edited on Jan 12, 2013 at 06:31 PM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:13 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Real-world sample: 24-105mm and 5DII image

I've been working up my Costa Rica travel photos where I made several trips to the frog and butterfly enclosures at the La Paz Waterfall Park. I took the same sorts of images with my 24-105 and 100L (on the 5D2) and I didn't see obvious differences in IQ between them. The prime is surely sharper but I've been very happy with the versatility of the 24-105, especially now that Lightroom automagically cleans up the 24 end for me.

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.