New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

rcm123
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

I am going to be buying compact flash cards for a Canon EOS 1DX and a 5D III. It appears that the top of the line Lexar cards are less expensive than the comparable SanDisk cards. I was interested in the experiences of forum members regarding the two brands - is SanDisk worth the extra money? Are they more durable? Also, am I correct in assuming that the 90MB/S read/write speed of the SanDisk cards is sufficient to get the best out of the 1DX 11 fps burst capability? Thanks for any advice you may have.

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:38 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

I would go for the Lexar cards. They are faster and also have a lower price. And their will be a real difference in the 1DX & 5D3

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:55 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

i've never had any issues, ever, with any of my 15 or so Sandisk cards over the past 3-4 yrs.. you could say i'm a pretty high volume shooter too. very impressed

i've had 2 Lexar 1000x cards since the summer, and one caused the 1DX to freeze/lag after the buffer filled up & it didn't clear until I powered the unit off/on.. think I lost the last image of the burst.. then after formatting that card after filing, it was fine ever since & i've never had other issues with either of the Lexar cards. the Lexar 1000x cards are just incredibly fast both in-camera & with a USB3 CF card reader though.

i've also read a few reports of Lexar cards being faulty, so it seems to me that Sandisk cards are more reliable, though all manufacturers probably do stand to have bad batches in their runs

Dec 22, 2012 at 05:00 PM
fredmaurer
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

I am a former SanDisk user. The Lexar 1000x Professional UDMA7 cards seem faster in a 1DX.

Dec 22, 2012 at 05:12 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

The Lexar are faster and cost less. The only bad card that I have owned was a Sandisk Extreme card.

Dec 22, 2012 at 05:21 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

I just bought two Lexar 1000x cards for my 1DX and so far the clear speed on the buffer is very nice. I probably would have stayed with Sandisk though if it wasn't for the whole ambiguity over the UDMA6/7 packaging. That was bush league.

Dec 22, 2012 at 06:31 PM
gasrocks
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

I have lost many pix using a Lexar card in my Canon. Even after they say they fixed it, more lost pix. I do not trust them. Couple of Sandisk cards but most of mine are Transcend.

Dec 22, 2012 at 07:22 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

Sandisk Extreme 60MB/s CF and SD = absolutely fine.

Kingston Class 10 SDHC 100x = budget back-up providing more capacity at events, and they've also been fine.

Dec 22, 2012 at 07:33 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

Sandisk.. never had one fail. I have had 2 bad Lexar cards

Dec 22, 2012 at 09:32 PM
billcat

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

After one bad Lexar card I only bought Sandisk, and haven't had any problems. But a cheap Sandisk card at work has damaged memory near the beginning.

Dec 22, 2012 at 09:36 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

I mostly buy Sandisk Extreme cards, have one Lexar UDMA that I got with a body, none have failed so far

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

Lexar or Transcend cards are faster than Sandisk. They will clear the buffer much faster in those bodies.

Dec 23, 2012 at 02:01 AM
outdoorsman110

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

I use 16gb SanDisk Extremes and they are awesome. I've had 5 different lexar CFs ( although not at Sandisk Extreme level ) fail.

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:27 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

I use Lexar 32GB x800 UDMA7, and they dont blink super fast. I also have Sandisk Extreme 60/s and they are very good.

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:25 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

rcm123 wrote:
I am going to be buying compact flash cards for a Canon EOS 1DX and a 5D III. It appears that the top of the line Lexar cards are less expensive than the comparable SanDisk cards. I was interested in the experiences of forum members regarding the two brands - is SanDisk worth the extra money? Are they more durable? Also, am I correct in assuming that the 90MB/S read/write speed of the SanDisk cards is sufficient to get the best out of the 1DX 11 fps burst capability? Thanks for any advice you may have.

As long as the cards have the same specs, or at least specs fully sufficient for your use - check the product specifications for details - brand does not matter.

"Cards is cards."

Dan

Dec 23, 2012 at 04:52 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

Never had a SanDisk fail on me, but the Lexar is sooo much faster in the 5DIII

Dec 23, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

gdanmitchell wrote:
As long as the cards have the same specs, or at least specs fully sufficient for your use - check the product specifications for details - brand does not matter.

"Cards is cards."

Dan

He asked about speed and fps burst capability from the cards. Every card is different then. Most times even the same cards/brand in different sizes have a bit different speed. And they have different speed in different bodies. "Cards is Cards. That's like saying Cameras is Cameras and Lenses is Lenses You are a landscape shooter where speed doesn't matter at all. But he specifically asked about speed and fps bursts. If you buy 5 different brands of cards that all say 600x or 90mbs. All those cards will have very different speed in your camera

Dec 23, 2012 at 06:08 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

This may help

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Dec 23, 2012 at 06:31 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

brand DOES matter a lot when it comes to reliability, performance and data retention for heavy usage. I have and will continue using SanDisk and that's what I recommend.

Unlike DRAM, NAND FLASH is not a commodity at all, the cells have quite different specs depending on application and manufacturer and price. You need very advanced technology to manufacture state of the art NAND, and there are only four major companies that can do that.

Card is not a card, not only in that they use different NAND but also the controller and sometimes packaging is quite different. It's like saying car is a car as long as the HP is the same ) Of course if you don't put your cards through heavy usage then it may not matter much...

BTW, both Lexar and SanDisk are selling at about the same price at B&H now.

Edited on Dec 23, 2012 at 09:07 PM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:08 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SanDisk v. Lexar CF Cards

Lars Johnsson wrote:
He asked about speed and fps burst capability from the cards. Every card is different then. Most times even the same cards/brand in different sizes have a bit different speed. And they have different speed in different bodies. "Cards is Cards. That's like saying Cameras is Cameras and Lenses is Lenses You are a landscape shooter where speed doesn't matter at all. But he specifically asked about speed and fps bursts. If you buy 5 different brands of cards that all say 600x or 90mbs. All those cards will have very different speed in your camera

As long as the card meets or exceeds the specs for your camera, brand differences are basically irrelevant. Memory has pretty much become a commodity item at this point.

There is quite a bit of mythology about memory brands. This thread itself provides a fair amount of evidence in that regard. And a "bit different in speed" when talking about similar and properly- or over-spec'ed cards is hardly significant enough to justify spending any significantly larger amount of money. In particular, there is no evidence that any recognized brand is "more reliable" than other decent brands. About all we have in this regard are subjective feelings from individual users or personal stories about individuals who had a problem with some card and then came to blame it on the brand.

In fact, what most of us who use a lot of cards actually do is more like: buy a decent card that has the specs your camera requires, and buy any brand from a reliable vendor at relatively low price. I haven't purchased a SanDisk or Lexar or other "name brand" card in years.

To some extent your provocative statement about cameras is closer to the truth than you might think, though there certainly can be differences among models within brands, just as there can be significant difference among cards from a manufacturer when they have various levels of specifications.

(By the way, your comment that I am "landscape shooter where speed doesn't matter at all" was probably intended to suggest that you know my work - and I appreciate that you may be familiar with some of it - but it also confirms that you know only some of my photography. ;-)

Dan

http://gdanmitchell.com/gallery/d/4324-2/CavendishRenshawHaedoSpringSacto20100516.jpg

Edited on Dec 23, 2012 at 08:32 PM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2012 at 08:21 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.