Dec 21, 2012 at 03:16 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Model portrait- 3 Images

Howdy,

Quick Comments:

Of this set, I like image 3 the most.

Reason: Nice use of light but more importantly a more unusual pose with a good expression. Good to see something different here.

Good job on that one.

The others are not bad, but do not appeal to me as much as 3.

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:10 PM
rbritt1

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Model portrait- 3 Images

Steady Hand, thank you always for your input and comments, it is appreciated.

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:47 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Model portrait- 3 Images

The lighting is set up in an unusual manner which does not look natural to me. The light is harsh. The background looks "greenscreened" - especially in the first. I don't like the processing - too contrasty and perhaps overly sharpened.

Dec 21, 2012 at 09:30 PM
rbritt1

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Model portrait- 3 Images

The lighting is set up in an unusual manner which does not look natural to me. The light is harsh. The background looks "greenscreened" - especially in the first. I don't like the processing - too contrasty and perhaps overly sharpened.

elliotkramer, I respect your C&C and would enjoy viewing some of your lighting set up, please post your best.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM
rbritt1

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Model portrait- 3 Images

elliotkramer, I respect your C&C and would enjoy viewing some of your lighting set up, please post your best.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Model portrait- 3 Images

I do not post photos. I have been a photographer for over 50 years. I am not interested in C&C.
You are mistaken if you believe that criticism is invalid if it comes from someone that you believe cannot take a decent photo. Most photo editors are not photographers just as most talent scouts in baseball or football are not themselves baseball or football players. Conductors are not musicians, etc etc. Your work will be judged by your clients and by editors who are not photographers. My opinion is valid regardless of whether or not you might like my photography. I have, however, made a living in photography for 50 years and have taught for several years at the college level.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Model portrait- 3 Images

elliotkramer wrote:

+1

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:40 AM
rbritt1

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Model portrait- 3 Images

IF YOU WANT TO GIVE A GOOD CRITIQUE, FOCUS ON SOMETHING YOU LIKE INSTEAD OF SOMETHING YOU KNOW YOU DON’T LIKE AT FIRST.

Negative critique can be helpful, if constructive. If you do not like someone’s photo, suggest how one should improve it. The focus of critiquing should be providing feedback that will help someone to improve. Part of a good eye is in knowing when to break the rules. Not every shot of a tree by the lake needs to conform to the rule of thirds, nor does every bird portrait need to be inclusive of the whole creature, or a head and shoulders looking at the camera.

Giving feedback is very easy but giving good feedback on a subjective matter-such as photography- is extremely difficult. A critique should be a positive and helpful experience for everyone. There is no excuse for bashing someone. Saying only negative things will create unnecessary conflict, and become less about art and more about people’s individual feelings.

When posting critiques, explain as best you can what aspects of the image you like and don’t like. If you have nothing nice to say about the work, then don’t say anything at all

Dec 22, 2012 at 08:25 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Model portrait- 3 Images

elliotkramer wrote:
I do not post photos. I have been a photographer for over 50 years. I am not interested in C&C.
You are mistaken if you believe that criticism is invalid if it comes from someone that you believe cannot take a decent photo. Most photo editors are not photographers just as most talent scouts in baseball or football are not themselves baseball or football players. Conductors are not musicians, etc etc. Your work will be judged by your clients and by editors who are not photographers. My opinion is valid regardless of whether or not you might like my photography.
...Show more

Looks like we have an armchair quarterback on our hands

Dec 22, 2012 at 09:58 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Model portrait- 3 Images

rbritt1....I think I'll have to disagree with you a bit here. I think Elliot gave a pretty straight forward critique and didn't appear to be bashing.. When you get past what he noted...everything else is positive. He gave the reasons why but then you challenged him to a duel. I think one learns more from the negative vs the positive. Negative feedback only creates conflict if you let it. One needs to be able to deal with negative feedback in a way to learn and not become defensive.

For me the models hair doesn't look natural. It appears that either the healing or cloning tool was used very close to the outline of the hair where there is not a loose hair out of place and that edge of the hair outline is blurred.

Just a question and no answer required but something to think about.....if you gave these images to the client and they gave you the same feedback as Elliot...will you deal with the client the same way you dealt with it here?

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Model portrait- 3 Images

part of improving is hearing what someone tells you what you don't want to hear

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Model portrait- 3 Images

I find the glare on her lips to be a distraction, especially in the first shot. The second is my favorite. Don't like the lighting on the third because it does not compliment her beauty at all.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Model portrait- 3 Images

She is a beautiful girl...#1 is definitely my favorite. The lighting does seem a bit harsh, and I'm not sold on the angle in the last...I don't think it flatters her.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM
markperez
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Model portrait- 3 Images

rbritt1 wrote:
IF YOU WANT TO GIVE A GOOD CRITIQUE, FOCUS ON SOMETHING YOU LIKE INSTEAD OF SOMETHING YOU KNOW YOU DON’T LIKE AT FIRST.

Negative critique can be helpful, if constructive. If you do not like someone’s photo, suggest how one should improve it. The focus of critiquing should be providing feedback that will help someone to improve. Part of a good eye is in knowing when to break the rules. Not every shot of a tree by the lake needs to conform to the rule of thirds, nor does every bird portrait need to be inclusive of the whole creature,
...Show more

yet another person that either needs to get thicker skin or needs to not post pictures if they don't like being criticized

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Model portrait- 3 Images

rbritt1 wrote:

Negative critique can be helpful, if constructive. If you do not like someone’s photo, suggest how one should improve it. The focus of critiquing should be providing feedback that will help someone to improve. Part of a good eye is in knowing when to break the rules. Not every shot of a tree by the lake needs to conform to the rule of thirds, nor does every bird portrait need to be inclusive of the whole creature,
...Show more

You started a thread about this elsewhere, time to get off of your soapbox and try to stay on topic "Model portrait- 3 Images".

In that light I find the images too harsh, of course if that's what you're looking for?

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:40 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Model portrait- 3 Images

In #1 and 2 I find the specular highlights on the lips to be a bit of a distraction. A little cloning or painting in soft light blending mode could knock this down a bit. :-)

Dec 22, 2012 at 08:47 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Model portrait- 3 Images

rbritt1 - Are you serious? We are adults. This is not nursery school. If you ask for critique, you should accept negative or positive. This is not life or death. It is merely a comment on a photo. If a negative comment about a photo is so stressful, how could we survive the rest of life.

My friends and I critique each other's work in much harsher terms all the time.

My comment is just one man's opinion. If you don't like it, ignore it. I think negative criticism is at least as helpful as praise.

Dec 22, 2012 at 09:25 PM
p4ssw0rd

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Model portrait- 3 Images

#1 - like it, agree with some of the guys that the lips highlights are pulling too much.
#2 - again the lips (to a lesser extent), the light looks a bit strange, not as a power but more like direction (maybe her right side could be a bit darker, maybe spill from hair light?), the crop on the elbow is a bit distracting.
#3 - similar to #2, would prefer to see less light on her back, the pose is really nice.

I also find the overall lighting a bit harsh bit this is strictly my preference - if this is your goal/style, go for it. Just my 0.02.

Overall, a very good effort. Thanks for posting.

Dec 22, 2012 at 09:26 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Model portrait- 3 Images

I could spend a long time critiquing these shots for you, but I'd think it would probably be a waste of time. Instead of focusing on what I'm trying to point out to you, you'd be busy making a point of what an @$$ I am for pointing things out to you.

For what it's worth, beyond what the others have told you about the distracting highlights in the lips in No. 1, it's a decent shot. Nos. 2 and 3 would go straight to the can for me.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.