New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

Since Canon will be bringing out firmware in April which will allow a 5DMkIII to AF with an extender at f8, do you believe the AF will be as fast and accurate as that of a 1D series?

And will it be better than the results you can get now with taping the pins?

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:29 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

Except for the 1D X all 1D series cameras up this point can only AF with the center AF point, I am taking my chances with and putting my bet on the 5D Mark III, which has 41 cross-type AF points. IMHO, it would be as good if not better but you will get more AF points .

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:40 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

AGeoJO wrote:
Except for the 1D X all 1D series cameras up this point can only AF with the center AF point, I am taking my chances with and putting my bet on the 5D Mark III, which has 41 cross-type AF points. IMHO, it would be as good if not better but you will get more AF points .

Do you have any idea how well the 5DMkIII will AF now with the pins on a TC taped?

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:51 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

Tony,
My taped Canon 2X TC Mark III doesn't work with any f/4.0 lens. I bought a Tamron 1.4X TC that I taped for the purpose of combining that with my Canon 1.4X TC Mark III. The combo will give me a 2X multiplier but it would fool the camera of thinking that the light loss was only 1-stop, instead of 2-stop. The AF speed was OK but really not to write home about. I am sure it has more to do with the light loss at 2X. But that's the only combo that can give me the 2X at this point. With the upcoming firmware update in mind, I am really not interested in keeping that Tamron TC. I am confident that my Canon 2X TC Mark III after the firmware update will perform better than the combo of Canon and Tamron TCs.

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:14 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

Josh,
I also tried taping the pins on my Canon 2X TC III, but could not get AF to work with my 500 f4 II. On a 7D.

Tony

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:28 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

Tony,
If you have a Canon 1.4X Mark II or III, I can sell you my Tamron Pro DG TC . I will include the tape in there, too . The combo of both TCs should work on the 500mm f/4.0 Mark II on the 7D. I am not sure of the speed and reliability of the combo though on that camera but it won't hurt to try it. Or buy a 5D Mark III but you loose a little reach there but gain a little more IQ...

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:34 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

I have used the 5D3 with a Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 2X with taped pins. Used center point with 600/4, AF was what you'd expect- ok for still subjects, and occasional hunting in Servo with low (relatively speaking) light or with a less-than-contrasty subject. If I locked on, it could track well enough if subject movement wasn't too erratic and there were no obstacles.

I'm sure some of this is a function of the TC not being the highest quality. I'm looking forward to the firmware and trying this with a Canon 2X.

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:35 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

AGeoJO wrote:
Tony,
If you have a Canon 1.4X Mark II or III, I can sell you my Tamron Pro DG TC . I will include the tape in there, too . The combo of both TCs should work on the 500mm f/4.0 Mark II on the 7D. I am not sure of the speed and reliability of the combo though on that camera but it won't hurt to try it. Or buy a 5D Mark III but you loose a little reach there but gain a little more IQ...

Thanks, but I only have the Canon 2x III. Already have a Kenko C-AF 1.4x, which works very well.

Maybe will wait until April, when 5D III prices will still be lower and firmware update will be available, or maybe even a 7DII with same AF capability as 5D III.

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

Imagemaster wrote:
Thanks, but I only have the Canon 2x III. Already have a Kenko C-AF 1.4x, which works very well.

Maybe will wait until April, when 5D III prices will still be lower and firmware update will be available, or maybe even a 7DII with same AF capability as 5D III.

Already given up on the 6D, you know with it's much lower price.

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:04 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Already given up on the 6D, you know with it's much lower price.

Is that supposed to be a question If so, what makes you think the 6D will have the same AF capability as the 5DMkIII, especially with TC's?

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:44 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

I am using the Tamron-F 1.4X with the 5D III & 400mm F5.6
It works great for still shots; and most BIF situations. Works fine until 5D III firmware allows use of Canon 1.4X III

Tamron SP AF 1.4x Pro Teleconverter

5D III / 400mm F5.6 / Tamron SP AF 1.4x Pro TC

Edited on Jan 17, 2013 at 04:28 PM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:20 PM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

I've been very impressed with how well the 5D3 + Kenko 1.4X + 400/5.6 combo works.

I've commented in a couple of other recent threads about it:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1159327/2#11065737

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1155383/0#11024051

HTH

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:37 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5DMkIII AF at F8 with TC

AGeoJO wrote:

Reading the 1DX manual, lenses that become f8 with a tele-converter fall into group H which uses the center cross point only for one shot but can add 4 assist points for AI focus. The 5D3 group H description (which is still pre f8) does not describe the assist points for AI focus. I hope the firmware update will add this capability as well. I haven't seen a pre-update 1DX manual to see if the assist points were added with the update.

The 400 f5.6L lens belongs to group E (along with the 100-400) which can use the center 21 cross points. The outer 40 are useable, but linear, for lenses in this group.

Edit: Hey, this was my 1000th post!

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.