_DSC3363 by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

OR, and why?

_DSC3363 by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:17 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Of Masques and Things...CC

Not sure about the composition, but the center mask is the obvious subject and captures interest better by the brightness of the first version's greater visual contrast with the other masks.

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:25 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Of Masques and Things...CC

AuntiPode wrote:
Not sure about the composition, but the center mask is the obvious subject and captures interest better by the brightness of the first version's greater visual contrast with the other masks.

Thank you very much, for your time, and correspondence! Happy photography!

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:37 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Of Masques and Things...CC

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Thank you very much, for your time, and correspondence! Happy photography!

I agree with Karen. The idea is great but the execution is questionable. To me the center mask is "Too centered". Similarly, image left is too sharp stealing attention away. I would be tempted to vary the angles and positioning and see what you get. Please keep in mind I have been told my setups look "staged", so take note.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:08 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Of Masques and Things...CC

+1 @ Karen & Jim's points @ brightness and competing comp from the left side elements.

Edited on Dec 06, 2012 at 06:26 PM · View previous versions

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:36 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Of Masques and Things...CC

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ Karen & Jim's points @ brightness and competing comp from the left side elements.

Not saying that you need to exclude the left mask (as my crop does), but take notice how your eye moves differently between the elements of the original vs. the crop. The original kinda gives the viewer the "ping-pong" effect going back and forth from left to right. The crop not so much "ping-pong".

Moving the left mask into the background of the subject mask (rather than nearly the same plane) could allow you to include it (even if on the left side), yet not impart
...Show more

Please don't alter my images without permission. I am totally aware of programs that do such, however, I refrain from using such, simply, because, I like simple. I appreciate the effort, and time you took, to help me, however, this is critique, and not other. Please edit it to remove it. thank you.

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:28 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Of Masques and Things...CC

Here is one I used flickr's aviary to alter, but based on my thoughts, and feelings, i refrained from its usage, in order to stay as stright out of camera as possible. the original image is not to far from the first picture also.

_DSC3368 by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:33 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Of Masques and Things...CC

The lens is the nikkor 85mm f/1.4 ais, manula, handheld, with the nikon D700.

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:34 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Of Masques and Things...CC

Be aware that critique is one of the few forums where modifying images is allowed or almost required, because it is often the best way to illustrate a critique suggestion. Because it's unreasonable to expect the critique forum readers to remember who doesn't want to see what the commenters suggest illustrated with the image provided, unless you state the restriction with the post, it's unlikely to be honored. Personally, I rarely bother to comment on an image if illustrations are not wanted because as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and I haven't the time for all that typing.

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Of Masques and Things...CC

I would seriously reconsider your stance on post processing. It can be some work, but you're not going to be getting anywhere near the potential out of your equipment and photos unless you spend some time on them. Rusty's rework was just a simple crop that would take only a few seconds, but it really improves the image. Once you get some of the processes down in something like Lightroom, you can whip through images in almost not time at all.

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:41 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Of Masques and Things...CC

You will get no feedback if you come across so rude. Rusty was trying to help you with the best of intentions. The photo critique board works a lot with retouching. Think of it; it would be very hard to explain the necessary changes that would make the image "better" just by using words.

Maybe you should have posted in another board instead of the critique one if you were expecting praises from your image rather than critique.

I also think Mr Bean has a point on your views of post processing. You transformed an image into an instagram-like snapshot by applying that "aviary" filter. That is all good if you intention is to create instagram-like images, but I hardly doubt you will find an ample crowd that enjoys such cooked up processing.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:06 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Of Masques and Things...CC

Simply stating my wishes.

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:58 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Of Masques and Things...CC

AuntiPode wrote:
Be aware that critique is one of the few forums where modifying images is allowed or almost required, because it is often the best way to illustrate a critique suggestion. Because it's unreasonable to expect the critique forum readers to remember who doesn't want to see what the commenters suggest illustrated with the image provided, unless you state the restriction with the post, it's unlikely to be honored. Personally, I rarely bother to comment on an image if illustrations are not wanted because as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and I haven't the time for all
...Show more
Thank you, now I understand what not to do. I will take time to read the guide next.

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:01 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Of Masques and Things...CC

Guari wrote:
You will get no feedback if you come across so rude. Rusty was trying to help you with the best of intentions. The photo critique board works a lot with retouching. Think of it; it would be very hard to explain the necessary changes that would make the image "better" just by using words.

Maybe you should have posted in another board instead of the critique one if you were expecting praises from your image rather than critique.

I also think Mr Bean has a point on your views of post processing. You transformed an image into an instagram-like snapshot by applying
...Show more
I recall you now. You are that big attitude problem person from POTN, you had an issue with me there so here you now found a way to rekindle an old "flame"

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:17 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Of Masques and Things...CC

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
I recall you now. You are that big attitude problem person from POTN, you had an issue with me there so here you now found a way to rekindle an old "flame"

Just trying to point out that you won't get much help here at the critique if you come down rude on people and won't allow your images to be touched

Anyhow, it's your call after all..

Just trying to help...

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Of Masques and Things...CC

No worries ... just trying to better illustrate what sometimes I don't do as well with words. I'll gladly honor your request for removal. My apologies for any angst my presumptiveness may have created.

Likewise, I appreciate your appreciation of my effort to assist you. I'll respectfully assume that your's are "hands off" iaw with your wishes. Should you feel differently in the future, just let me know and I'll be glad to offer up what I can visually to augment my words.

Welcome to the Forum. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Your initial posting is a nice piece ... I have a friend that makes masks, so I really do appreciate this one.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:25 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Of Masques and Things...CC

Be aware, the guide is silent about many of the logic, reasoning and traditions of the forum.

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Of Masques and Things...CC

Kent and Karen are two of the preeminent contributors on this Critique forum and I for one would always appreciate their interpretation of my work here. As stated by Guari, perhaps this board was the wrong one to place your image in. I believe your image has some very good points, but I agree that the center placement of the frontmost mask is very static. A staggered full view of all 3 with shallow depth of field might present your image better. IMHO, the "aviary" view did nothing to improve the image.

Jo

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:21 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Of Masques and Things...CC

RustyBug wrote:
No worries ... just trying to better illustrate what sometimes I don't do as well with words. I'll gladly honor your request for removal. My apologies for any angst my presumptiveness may have created.

Likewise, I appreciate your appreciation of my effort to assist you. I'll respectfully assume that your's are "hands off" iaw with your wishes. Should you feel differently in the future, just let me know and I'll be glad to offer up what I can visually to augment my words.

Welcome to the Forum. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Your initial posting is a nice
...Show more
Thank you Sir, very classy response! I hope I didn't come off to much of an a##hole! I enjoy masks, I hope you can photo some to show, heck I want to buy one!

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Of Masques and Things...CC

Your welcome,

Maybe a little "abrupt" from what we have grown accustomed to amongst our regulars ... but we understand the sensitivity that some may have from previously poor experience elsewhere, so we try to be understanding of that ... but I assure you our intentions are to "do no harm" ... with respect for both our craft, and our fellow FM'ers.

As others will attest, our "core group" is fairly small so we've come to "play nice" with each other quite well ... even when we have our occasional "family squabble" , we strive to be very cordial and civil with each other. A bit unusual for internet forums in this day & age, I realize ... which is why FM is the ONLY one I participate in, with the PC forum being one of my staples at FM.

I've learned a lot here from my fellow FM'ers ... they are great and we mostly aspire to pass it on "good stuff" as "good stuff" had been passed on to us. But when I say "good stuff" that includes our willingness to "shoot straight". You won't find a lot of "patronizing" here, and we can be the Kings & Queen's of "micro-nit" @ times, but it will always be with sincerity to help, even when it comes from a very different opinion or perspective.

Again, maybe a bit "abrupt" ... but "no worries" ... too much to look forward to, to dwell on the past.

Again ... Welcome to the PC Forum.

BTW ... to those who rendered support (expressed, implied or silently thought) ... thanks. We do have a good group around here ... that I am appreciative of today & everyday.

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.