Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · What is your favourite type of photography?

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is your favourite type of photography?

We all probably have multiple interests, but ultimately I think that for the vast majority of people, there is one subject which moves them more than others, *photographically*. Even if you have two equally favourite subjects, please indulge me, and choose one, for the purpose of this poll. I would give everyone three votes if I could, but I can't. Note that you should choose one which you actively pursue, or which you spend a lot of time reading about and dreaming of pursuing. For example, I can imagine that I might love to be a portrait photographer, but I don't pursue it at all and I don't know when I could, so I will pick something from my current activities.

The number of categories here is very large, which only works with a very large number of participants (we have almost 500 in the "How old are you?" thread :https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1167212), and at the same time, I am almost certain to have missed something important. I am hoping that the "Other" category will have very few votes here... If not, and I missed something important, please let me know, and I will consider rebooting this thread with a fix. If you did find the category you prefer, then please keep coming back anyway, in case I need to reboot the thread.

(Suggested by someone on the "How old are you?" thread.)

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:29 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is your favourite type of photography?

Hmmm, I'm not really sure how to answer. I'm usually more interested in a particular artist's works, rather than a type of photography, and, once I find an artist I like, I enjoy all kinds of photography types from that person.

I'll have to think about it and hold off voting, for now. I think it would be easier to pick which types of photography that I don't generally like.

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:42 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is your favourite type of photography?

Another poll? But it would be too hard to set up such a poll here with only one vote each. There are all kinds of photography I don't like. Flowers (except Briantho's), etc.

So far: landscape winning by a landslide (2 votes versus max. 1 in other categories ).

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:54 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is your favourite type of photography?

I chose Portraits...for lack of a better category. I guess I have to classify that as "pictures of posed people that aren't nude".

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:13 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is your favourite type of photography?

I selected "landscape."

My personal preferences seem to lie somewhere at the intersection and not-quite-any-of-the-above between landscape, abstract, architecture, and flora. Not landscapes in the sense of sweeping wide-angle vistas, nor abstract as in unidentifiable/non-representational subjects, nor architecture as in capturing an overall essence of design, nor flora as in descriptive/aesthetic documentation of species. I tend towards geometrically driven fragments of larger scenes, incorporating elements of landscape/architecture/flora as available but without either emphasizing the whole of the constituent parts or using them as purely abstract motifs.

Anyway, shouldn't "resolution test charts" be on the list, too?

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:20 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is your favourite type of photography?

Voted "other" for candids

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:23 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is your favourite type of photography?

weezintrumpete wrote:
I chose Portraits...for lack of a better category. I guess I have to classify that as "pictures of posed people that aren't nude".

I guess your photos squeak by as non-nudes

Yeah, I know, everyone does something slightly different. I kinda wanted to choose landscape, but actually what I prefer is just trees Or tree, as the case may be. Not really landscape. But anyway, I ended up choosing UrbEx, which I have done far more of.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:26 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What is your favourite type of photography?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Voted "other" for candids

Wouldn't candids be either portraits or street or family? I guess if they were non-portraits of friends...?

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:27 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What is your favourite type of photography?

mpmendenhall wrote:

*facepalm*: I forgot brick walls and benches!!!

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:30 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What is your favourite type of photography?

mpmendenhall wrote:
I selected "landscape."

My personal preferences seem to lie somewhere at the intersection and not-quite-any-of-the-above between landscape, abstract, architecture, and flora. Not landscapes in the sense of sweeping wide-angle vistas, nor abstract as in unidentifiable/non-representational subjects, nor architecture as in capturing an overall essence of design, nor flora as in descriptive/aesthetic documentation of species. I tend towards geometrically driven fragments of larger scenes, incorporating elements of landscape/architecture/flora as available but without either emphasizing the whole of the constituent parts or using them as purely abstract motifs.

Think of yourself as contributing to a widening of the category of landscape, rather than a misunderstood artist

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:31 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What is your favourite type of photography?

carstenw wrote:
Think of yourself as contributing to a widening of the category of landscape, rather than a misunderstood artist

I never worry about being misunderstood, because my photos have so little to understand. They are little more than images of what they are.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:34 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What is your favourite type of photography?

Haha, I would love to see that on an artist's statement in a gallery: "my photos are what they depict, nothing more", instead of the interminable babble one usually sees.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:41 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What is your favourite type of photography?

I chose Architecture, as that's been longstanding my favorite, but since I haven't been traveling much in the past few years, I'm not as enthusiastic at the moment, given that I am shooting the same stuff a lot in that genre.

I love doing landscape photography, and both landscape and architecture combined under a "Travel" heading, which I would have chosen had it been present.

That said, by far the most shooting I do is portrait, mostly of family, but it isn't my photographic passion (though I enjoy it plenty). I also quite enjoy macro photography and abstract work, of which I've been doing a little bit more of recently.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:56 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What is your favourite type of photography?

Argh, Travel. Okay, I did blow it.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:58 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What is your favourite type of photography?

For me it was an easy vote, landscape. Although I kind of wish that it will be harder in the future and that I pick up a second and even a third field that will interest me equally.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:23 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What is your favourite type of photography?

* Abstract nature/landscape.
* 50mm type portraits
* Adventure/travel with myself/people in the frame.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:27 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What is your favourite type of photography?

mpmendenhall wrote:

oh man! you beat me to it.

i like to shoot pretty much anything that doesn't require a tripod. it's mostly time and travel constraints that decide what i shoot.

edit: i guess environmental portraits are the type i find most interesting to look at.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:43 PM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What is your favourite type of photography?

I voted landscape but include sea, city as well as land in that category. I have a very large collection of religious/cemetery images though.. not sure where I woudl put them if they were #1..

Mike

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:31 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What is your favourite type of photography?

I see that I voted for the largest group of Landscape. I most enjoy Landscape, nature, which is not on the list and wildlife, which is on the list.

Rich

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:37 PM
H.Lux
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What is your favourite type of photography?

I miss a category like "people". For that one I would have voted. There may be more fmers who like that kind of photography best.

Cheers Stefan

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:38 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.