FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              93      
       95              356       357       end

Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.94 #1 · p.94 #1 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

That example from sebboh seemed to be because of stitching different sky tones, which isn't really an RX1 issue.

In-camera vignetting correction in a lot of cameras can be an issue, too. I leave mine off.

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:28 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.94 #2 · p.94 #2 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

douglasf13 wrote:
That example from sebboh seemed to be because of stitching different sky tones, which isn't really an RX1 issue.

In-camera vignetting correction in a lot of cameras can be an issue, too. I leave mine off.

no, helena is right. the toned image before the stitch is the one she was referring to. it has a very odd and distinct posterization effect.

i believe vignetting is the source of the issue, not anything related to the sensor, though the ability to dramatically push and pull the sensor probably makes us more likely to do things that cause posterization (e.g. dramatic shadow lifting will often produce strange interactions with natural and added vignetting).

edit: i encounter this type of posterization fairly regularly with toned images when i add vignetting using other cameras as well.

Edited on Sep 24, 2013 at 01:41 PM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:38 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.94 #3 · p.94 #3 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I didn't think about in-camerad corrections. As I shoot raw only I have all those turned off.

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:40 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.94 #4 · p.94 #4 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Jonas B wrote:
I didn't think about in-camerad corrections. As I shoot raw only I have all those turned off.

i have never had in-camera vignetting correction turned on either.

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.94 #5 · p.94 #5 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Ok, the image with JPG compression artifacts I asked about? Or, that's what I thought it was...

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:42 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.94 #6 · p.94 #6 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Some great photos and commentary by one of my favorite bloggers: http://www.minimallyminimal.com/blog/8-months-with-the-sony-rx1

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:47 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.94 #7 · p.94 #7 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

sebboh wrote:
no, helena is right. the toned image before the stitch is the one she was referring to. it has a very odd and distinct posterization effect.

i believe vignetting is the source of the issue, not anything related to the sensor, though the ability to dramatically push and pull the sensor probably makes us more likely to do things that cause posterization (e.g. dramatic shadow lifting will often produce strange interactions with natural and added vignetting).

edit: i encounter this type of posterization fairly regularly with toned images when i add vignetting using other cameras as well.

I noticed that slight posterization in the sky. Traditionally, the cause is editing in 8 bit vs 16 bit and also low quality JPEG compression and resizing. Subtle gradations (such as in a sky) will obviously show the issue worse if care is not taken to avoid the above (always edit in 16bit and only convert to 8 bit as the last step such as for web posting). This is also a good place to mention that using bicubic sharper when resizing is not the best option when an image has subtle gradations (and reducing the size in Automatic will do this as well).

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:48 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.94 #8 · p.94 #8 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Jonas B wrote:
Ok, the image with JPG compression artifacts I asked about? Or, that's what I thought it was...

it's a jpeg artifact called posterization, but not the kind that can be fixed by lowering compression in this case as near as i can tell. it's not there if i export it as 16 bit tiff in prophoto rgb, but it shows up in any jpeg.

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:52 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.94 #9 · p.94 #9 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I noticed that slight posterization in the sky. Traditionally, the cause is editing in 8 bit vs 16 bit and also low quality JPEG compression and resizing. Subtle gradations (such as in a sky) will obviously show the issue worse if care is not taken to avoid the above (always edit in 16bit and only convert to 8 bit as the last step such as for web posting). This is also a good place to mention that using bicubic sharper when resizing is not the best option when an image has subtle gradations (and reducing the size in Automatic
...Show more

what do you recommend for resizing?

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.94 #10 · p.94 #10 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I see. Then I stand corrected.
So it is not in the raw but shows up as soon as you export it into JPG format. Also when exporting to 16-bit JPG minimum compression? I don't think I ever run into it in that large scale. I have seen it, but not in an RX1 image yet, earlier but then it has been smaller details showing some colour artifacts.

EDIT: Skip my question above, I just re-read Tariq's comment above.

Edited on Sep 24, 2013 at 01:59 PM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.94 #11 · p.94 #11 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Jonas B wrote:
I see. Then I stand corrected.
So it is not in the raw but shows up as soon as you export it into JPG format. Also when exporting to 16-bit JPG minimum compression? I don't think I ever run into it in that large scale. I have seen it, but not in an RX1 image yet, earlier but then it has been smaller details showing some colour artifacts.

i've not tried 16-bit jpegs just 8-bit with minimum compression. i don't believe 16-bit jpegs are an option with my version of LR?

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:59 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.94 #12 · p.94 #12 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

sebboh wrote:
i've not tried 16-bit jpegs just 8-bit with minimum compression. i don't believe 16-bit jpegs are an option with my version of LR?

I'm again thinking about my own situation. I export 16-bit files to Photoshop and convert there.

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:59 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.94 #13 · p.94 #13 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

sebboh wrote:
what do you recommend for resizing?

In PS, I use good old Bicubic (best for smooth gradients). I have seen some really terrible results from Bicubic Sharper.

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:05 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.94 #14 · p.94 #14 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
In PS, I use good old Bicubic (best for smooth gradients). I have seen some really terrible results from Bicubic Sharper.

oh, that's the same as i use...

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.94 #15 · p.94 #15 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

sebboh wrote:
oh, that's the same as i use...

Hmm, that's odd then. So you work completely from the raw in 16bit all the way through, including re-sizing using the standard Bicubic, then convert to 8bit? Maybe it does have something to do with the auto vignetting correction as Douglas mentioned if that's the case. I also leave that off.

What color space do you convert/edit in and when do you convert to SRGB? Maybe it's also causing an issue? EDIT. If you are editing in ProPhoto RGB and converting to SRGB at the very end, this should not be an issue either. hmm

Edited on Sep 24, 2013 at 02:21 PM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.94 #16 · p.94 #16 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

It would be interesting to try that image in a couple of converters. Maybe I"ll yry to get a couple of similar images and see what I can find.

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:20 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.94 #17 · p.94 #17 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Hmm, that's odd then. So you work completely from the raw in 16bit all the way through, including re-sizing using the standard Bicubic, then convert to 8bit? Maybe it does have something to do with the auto vignetting correction as Douglas mentioned if that's the case. I also leave that off.

What color space do you convert/edit in and when do you convert to SRGB? Maybe it's also causing an issue?

auto vignetting correction is always turned off on all my cameras.

my standard workflow is to do all my real processing from raw in LR then to export to 8-bit jpeg and downsize/sharpen in PS5. that is what i did to the posted version. since then i re-exported in 16-bit prophoto rgb and did my downsizing/sharpening in that, only converting to 8-bit srgb as the final step before saving the 8-bit jpeg at level 12 in PS5.

here is the original with my normal processing and here is the one processed in 16-bit prophoto till the last step.

edit: apologies to all for wasting so much space on an image thread talking about this.

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.94 #18 · p.94 #18 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

sebboh wrote:

my standard workflow is to do all my real processing from raw in LR then to export to 8-bit jpeg and downsize/sharpen in PS5. that is what i did to the posted version. since then i re-exported in 16-bit prophoto rgb and did my downsizing/sharpening in that, only converting to 8-bit srgb as the final step before saving the 8-bit jpeg at level 12 in PS5.

here is the original with my normal processing and here is the one processed in 16-bit prophoto till the last step.

edit: apologies to all for
...Show more

I think it's what you said a while back (RX1 encourages extreme processing) - you just pushed the file to the extreme (you pushed the shadows +100).

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.94 #19 · p.94 #19 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Sleep by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:59 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.94 #20 · p.94 #20 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

sebboh wrote:

edit: apologies to all for
...Show more

But it has to be discussed somewhere, doesn't it?
Interesting that the artifacts still remain, to a lesser degree though, in your second version. Like Tariq I wonder if the initial colour space (ProPhoto) has something to do with it. I work in aRGB in Lightroom and Photoshop as I never really bothered with a wider gamut as I'm ignorant enough not to know what to do with it. Or maybe the colour space doesn't matter due to the PP steps taken?

Sep 24, 2013 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.