New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New to Forum - 5Dmark2 questions

JHC
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New to Forum - 5Dmark2 questions

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to DSLR. I purchased my 7d based upon the advice of a friend who shoots high school football shots of his sons. My sons are in band, so I figured that the 7d would crossover well enough for that. I also use the 7d for filming some band shows. Overall I'm really happy with how they turn out. If you want, you can see some tapes on you tube if you google 'beetlefang'.

I've purchased my lenses mainly based upon these forum reviews and have given credit to the FM forum when registering them online with canon...

Anyways, with the price of the 5dmark2 dropping, I'm wondering if that would be a body that would compliment my 7d? Does the CF and batteries of the 7d fit the 5dmk2? Is the 5dmk2 weather sealed as good as the 7d? (I've read different things).

I'd really like to get a FF camera eventually. I think it would create more versatility with the lenses...like having the option to shoot FF or cropped with the same lens. Plus, I would like a second body to use for photo's while the other is on a tripod filming. It seems like I never have a camera in my hand when I most want too.

I appreciate the insight and apologize for such a long first post.

-John

Nov 04, 2012 at 10:05 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New to Forum - 5Dmark2 questions

The CF cards and batteries are compatible.

Be careful about believing they are truly weather sealed. There may be some modest protection, but neither camera is weather-sealed like a 1D series.

Nov 04, 2012 at 10:26 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New to Forum - 5Dmark2 questions

A number of people regard the 7D and the 5D2 as being complementary cameras. As you know, the 7D works well for sports - a good AF system, faster burst shooting, the (arguable) advantage of "reach" from a given focal length on the cropped sensor body and so forth. The 5D2 offers the potential of better resolution, a larger range of usable apertures, potentially narrower DOF if you need it, and so forth. (A lot of this is the "more versatility" you mentioned in your post.)

There are also good reasons to have more than one camera body. Sometimes things break, and with the second body you aren't stopped in your tracks. In addition, you can have two lenses fitted to the two bodies, and perhaps move more quickly from one sort of subject/shot to another.

Especially if you already have the 7D, the 5D2 is an excellent camera that can produce image quality that equals that of the newer 5D3.

Dan

Nov 04, 2012 at 10:49 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New to Forum - 5Dmark2 questions

Hi John,

Welcome to FM.

I'll echo the comments above. Any time is a good time to buy a 5DII.

Cheers, Jim

Nov 04, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New to Forum - 5Dmark2 questions

I agree with the above.

You don't want to get either the 7D or 5D2 very wet (7D is supposedly slightly better sealed, but not up to 1D-series). If it's dripping, you need protection.

That said, yes, I think this is a great idea to grab a 5D2. Used prices are very attractive for low use models.

5D2 has even better video quality, so you may even find you can use two video cameras running at the same time with different lenses and subjects, expanding your final output quality.

Nov 04, 2012 at 11:00 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New to Forum - 5Dmark2 questions

+1

Nov 04, 2012 at 11:28 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New to Forum - 5Dmark2 questions

I owned both the 7D and the 5D2 for some time, and found them to be wonderfully complementary cameras.

If you don't look forward to the hassles of picking which body to use for which task, the 5D3 does it all quite well, but it will cost a bit more than the 7D/5D2 combination (and won't leave you with a backup body).

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New to Forum - 5Dmark2 questions

Welcome to FM, beetlefang. I owned a similar setup to what you suggest (crop factor camera plus full-frame camera) for a long time, and liked it. You get more reach with the crop factor camera for things like sports (something you mentioned) and wildlife. I had a 5D classic and a 20D.

Note: the EF-S lenses will not work on the 5D2 or other full-frame cameras.

Recently I got a 5D Mark II and traded in the 20D, retaining the 5Dc. In an ideal world I would also have a 7D, but other spending priorities intervene.

Nov 04, 2012 at 02:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.