New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

Light_pilgrim
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

I am coming with a question and seeking for some help. I am having a very hard time with Zeiss 35 F/1.4 on my 5D MKIII. The problem is that I do not see whether something is in focus or not. I am using this lens for portraits and ultra precision is critical because I want to be able to control what is in focus...both eyes, left eye or right eye. It is not a type of precision where the only thing you care is the fact that full body is more or less in focus...
Portraits demand exceptional precision.

Based on the example below you will understand what I am talking about. So I am pretty close to my subject, I use viewfinder and I cannot tell for sure whether eyes are in focus when I press the shutter release button:

http://www.dylikowski.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/LI7A5314.jpg

What to do?

P.S.
My eyes-sight is perfect.

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:04 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

Hmm, do you suffer from amnesia? Let me refresh your memory...

Here is a previous thread you started on exactly the same subject: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1131305

Then you pretty much decided to sell the ZE35/1.4 at some point and buy the 35L: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1142611

Maybe we can end this thread right here.

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:12 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

To be honest I find this difficult on my a900 due to the focal length and fast aperture. It's not like a tele lens where it's easy to see the point of focus. Challenging. But mine is AF, so I never manual focus with it. As for your solution, are you using the best screen for manual focus? I think a good split screen might be the best option, given the difficulty. On my a900, which is known for a great viewfinder, I have the best matte screen, and even then I wouldn't manually focus this lens... Perhaps I could learn, but it is very sensitive and difficult to judge. So failing a split screen, perhaps just try engaging the live view, using this to aid?

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:17 AM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

carstenw wrote:

Here is a previous thread you started on exactly the same subject: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1131305

Then you pretty much decided to sell the ZE35/1.4 at some point and buy the 35L: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1142611

Before I sell, I need 35 mm...so Zeiss is the only lens I have

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:17 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

carstenw wrote:

First one is about using 35mm focal length. Second one is about selling zeiss in Poland. This post is about the technique of focusing a fast wide angle lens, so I see no need to cut it off ?

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:19 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

It is just that he has been posting repeatedly for two months that he can't focus the ZE35, his eyes are perfect and he is considering the 35L. Then he decided that he will sell the ZE35 and buy the 35L. Why start all over again repeatedly?

Clearly either the 5DIII is out of adjustment, or it is insufficient, or his eyes are not actually perfect after all. The combination just doesn't work. Why do we need new threads for this all the time?

Sep 02, 2012 at 02:29 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

I don't know, the OP did have a thread about how difficult it is to sell the ZE 35 f/1.4 from Poland. I would give him the benefit of the doubt as it seems he may well have wanted to sell it but was unable to do so and is now looking for alternative ways that might allow him to use the lens. I know I didn't comment before because it looked like he was going to sell the lens, but now it seems that he is going to keep it.

Let me start with the example shot. If it were me on this particular shot I would stop down and have more depth of field. I would probably want f/5.6 or so and at that narrow of an aperture you will not have trouble focussing the lens. The reason I say I would stop down is that you have two people in this shot and the girl on the left is a little closer to the camera than the girl on the right. Wide open or even near wide open you simply can't get both of them in focus. So in a situation like this I would stop down.

I suspect this won't satisfy the OP, however, because he would like to shoot wide open fairly often on portraits. My recommendation would be to get a third party matte screen and replace the focus screen on the 5D MKIII with it. I have the 5D MKII with the Canon matte screen and I don't find it all that difficult to focus with this lens. I think with practice it is quite doable. As you practice you might also try focus bracketing to increase the chances of getting the shot you want. Some people have also had decent results with autofocus confirmation on the MK III. using this strategy, perhaps with focus bracketing may get the OP the results he wants.

Sep 02, 2012 at 03:20 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

I'm with Carsten.
This is going on for many months already. Not only on FM, but also other forums and flickr. Going from wanting to sell it, not wanting to try a precision focusing screen, but after some time giving the focusing screen a try, being happy, buying a 5DIII which doesn't allow the use of different focusing screens, contacting Zeiss about it, deciding to finally sell it for a 35L and so on and so on...

It's really nothing personal light_pilgrim, but please make up your mind. IMHO this lens is just not for you and I've been saying this for months already.

Sep 02, 2012 at 03:33 AM
joxang
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

carstenw wrote:
It is just that he has been posting repeatedly for two months that he can't focus the ZE35, his eyes are perfect and he is considering the 35L. Then he decided that he will sell the ZE35 and buy the 35L. Why start all over again repeatedly?

....In pretty much every forum on the internet! POTN, Flickr, DPR I believe...When I google for Zeiss 35/1.4 vs Canon L 35 1.4 looking for serious comparisons, all I get is this guy's wall-of-texts .

Why don't you just go ahead and list it on eBay with a reserve, and see what happens?

Sep 02, 2012 at 03:44 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

I have two screens that I can't decide between for my D700 when using the ZF 35/1.4. One is the Canon EG-S (no focusing aid, just plain matte) and the other is a Katzeye (with split prism). The EG-S is great for shots like the example and I have no problems focusing at short distance, but it's almost impossible at ~3 meters or beyond. The Katzeye is useless for anything that doesn't have straight lines with a bit of contrast, and you can't use the surrounding screen because it's not a bit more matte than the stock screen.

I'll probably try to get a screen with micro prisms instead, because not being able to focus accurately is terrible with such a nice lens.

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:14 AM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

I am just wondering.......if this is me, why I did never ask about 70-200II and did not report any issue with this lens? Or....the 5D MKII....or the 5D MKIII...or any other lens or body? I am not the guy that likes to complain....

Sep 02, 2012 at 06:28 AM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

P.S. If people say that they can see whether something is in focus an something is not, talking precise focusing, like eyes and etc....then I shut up and know that it is just me.

Sep 02, 2012 at 06:32 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

Light_pilgrim wrote:
I am just wondering.......if this is me, why I did never ask about 70-200II and did not report any issue with this lens? Or....the 5D MKII....or the 5D MKIII...or any other lens or body? I am not the guy that likes to complain....

Focussing an f/2.8 telephoto and an f/1.4 wide angle are a very different experience, IMO. With a telephoto you obviously have a lot more magnification in the viewfinder, and the stock screen to my eye shows f/2.8 quite well. In contrast wide angle lenses have little magnification and f/1.4 is not visible to my eye with the stock screen (although it is with the matte screens from Canon). On top of that this particular lens is not the easiest to see focus wide open because of the uncorrected spherical abberations. In my experience, however, I can get a pretty good keeper rate (about 75%) with this lens when using the matte screen and for critical shots with focus bracketing I can get about a 90% or so keeper rate. For me this is a better rate than I get using a wide angle AF lens with the 5D MKII. AF likely works better with the MKIII, but I don't have one.

So, I don't think this is you. It is a hard lens to get critical focus and it takes practice and bracketing to optimize focusing with it. Once you gain experience with the lens, however, IMO it is well worth the time put into to master it as the results are quite lovely.

Sep 02, 2012 at 08:17 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

Light_pilgrim, let me suggest this. Contrary to 5D MkII, 5D Mk III has a focus (AF) confirm which is very accurate IMHO. What I would do in your position is use only center point AF, and get AF confirm on the eye, or whatever small area you want in focus. Because you use only center point focus, there can be no doubt of what is in focus and what isn't, and then you recompose to get hte pocture you want. But 35 ZE f1.4 wide open at short range has a very thin DOF indeed, so you need to be sure that you have done a precise micro-adjust for this type of shooting. In my experience, it might not be the same setting as for stopped down infinity shooting.

Sep 02, 2012 at 08:44 AM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

philber wrote:
Light_pilgrim, let me suggest this. Contrary to 5D MkII, 5D Mk III has a focus (AF) confirm which is very accurate IMHO. What I would do in your position is use only center point AF, and get AF confirm on the eye, or whatever small area you want in focus. Because you use only center point focus, there can be no doubt of what is in focus and what isn't, and then you recompose to get hte pocture you want. But 35 ZE f1.4 wide open at short range has a very thin DOF indeed, so you need to be
...Show more

Sorry, did not fully understand. I use all AF points, not just the center one (this is why I got MKIII :-)). This image was taken at f/2.8, not 1.4. I understand that f/1.4 is hard even for the AF lens, not just MF Zeiss.

How do I know that my lens is adjusted for AF-confirm?

Sep 02, 2012 at 08:56 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

Light_pilgrim wrote:
Sorry, did not fully understand. I use all AF points, not just the center one (this is why I got MKIII :-)). This image was taken at f/2.8, not 1.4. I understand that f/1.4 is hard even for the AF lens, not just MF Zeiss.

How do I know that my lens is adjusted for AF-confirm?

I remember I helped you on this

35mm Zeiss has 35mm minimal focus distance. Choose a ruler or just plain newspaper, focus at 35mm, see through the lens, focus by eyes and by focus confirmation, mark your note. You will know if it is adjusted for AF-confirm.

Although I know the lens is hard to focus. this may not help you as much, wouldn't know your camera and lens fully is a requirement for this lens?

I know what you are talking about this lens. I use it chasing my kids. Many people won't echo your frustration is they shooting different subject, which has different requirement for focus accuracy and SPEED compare to take portrait that eyes must in focus. But repeat thread like this looks weird!

Sep 02, 2012 at 11:28 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

Light_pilgrim, if you attempt short-distance AF confirm shots at f:2.8 and expect perfect focus using all focus points without micro-adjusting your lens, I am not surprised you are not getting great results.
First you should do micro-adjust, as indicated on any of the many threads here, which are more helpful than the user manual. Then try my suggestion on using just centre point, focusing, and then recomposing. See if it works for you, and then gradually move to using more focus points once you have the process under control.

Sep 02, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Light_pilgrim
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

philber wrote:
Light_pilgrim, if you attempt short-distance AF confirm shots at f:2.8 and expect perfect focus using all focus points without micro-adjusting your lens, I am not surprised you are not getting great results.
First you should do micro-adjust, as indicated on any of the many threads here, which are more helpful than the user manual. Then try my suggestion on using just centre point, focusing, and then recomposing. See if it works for you, and then gradually move to using more focus points once you have the process under control.

sorry, I did not mean that I am using all points in one go. I mean that I am using the ability to selt any of the existing points. Ok, I will try...let's see...thanks.

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:03 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

For 35mm, for portrait distance let say 1-2m, recompose mostly likely will be off at 1.4 due to focus distance change, softer performance away from center and field curvature.
You need either take advantage of 5d3 more cross type of AF point or focus by eyes. Other wise shoot at f2.8 or slower is the way to go.

Sep 02, 2012 at 05:11 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D MKIII + Zeiss 35 F/1.4 ZE

I never tried a 5D MK III, but the MF lens + AF confirmation on my 5D MK II is just useless. Focus screen is important for MF users. I have the Eg-s installed on 5D MK II, but still, far from 'precision' than my 30D screen. If Eg-s is super precision, then the stock screen on 30D should be 'ultra precision'.

Sep 02, 2012 at 08:10 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.