New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · NX2: capture and view

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NX2: capture and view

I am getting a crash course!
Is there an interface of these two programs?
Is there a "bridge"---like PS---where I can see the thumbnails and click to open the images in NX2 or to process the raws?

And in how many computers can I install the NX2 or there is a limit a la PS cs?

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM
James Burden
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NX2: capture and view

nugeny wrote:
Is there a "bridge"---like PS---where I can see the thumbnails and click to open the images in NX2 or to process the raws?

Use View NX for that viewing/sorting/rating if you don't already have lightroom. View NX is the fastest .nef viewer that I've found....

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NX2: capture and view

The "bridge" is setting up your Options in View NX2 to specify "Open With Application" programs. When you have both View NX2 and Capture NX2 installed it has a default parameter built in to open with Capture NX2 when you right click on the image or thumbnail. But, you can add CS5, CS6, Lightroom or whatever program you would like to the list.

As a practical matter I have Capture NX2 on all my computers and I believe it's really looking at how many are open at the same time, which is different than looking at machines registered.

TIP:
Once you have made raw adjustments, or even to jpegs with Capture NX2, the thumbnails will show an icon (like the control point sliders) letting you know that you have worked on the file. That is not true with ACR, or Lightroom. Although you may have made raw adjustments, View NX2 will never let you know they were done. And sometime, I have lost my raw adjustments under ACR when I open with Capture NX2. Not sure why. Just a small bug.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:10 PM
tmak54952
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NX2: capture and view

Unless I am missing something in your question, my answer is to view the photos in Nikon View and then look and find the CNX2 button at the top. Press that button and the photo will be opened in NX2

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM
hidden_Markov
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NX2: capture and view

capture nx2 iirc has the 2 install ability like most apps. One laptop one 1 tower the usual setup.

the bridge you are looking for is the option to open in capture nx, I think.

My nikon worklfow (when I used the products) was transfer nx for bulk renames, view nx to delete the pics not worthy or quick exports if say jpeg strings of shots that were pretty good for sooc and the wifey wanted them now now then off to capture nx2.

Aug 20, 2012 at 01:54 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NX2: capture and view

THANK YOU ALL. i am learning. At this time I have been googling to find out what the heck XMP/ITCP is. Nikon is using it in its instruction without explaination what it is as if it is the most basic abreviation any one should know.
They just presume I know all the abreviations?!?! and their meaning1!!

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:38 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NX2: capture and view

I suggest getting the following from Amazon

Ben Long
Real World Capture NX2

or any of the other books available...
Pus, there are some Nikon video tutorials on-line...

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:26 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NX2: capture and view

ckcarr wrote:
I suggest getting the following from Amazon

Ben Long
Real World Capture NX2

or any of the other books available...
Pus, there are some Nikon video tutorials on-line...

I got it. getting some one else to explain what the first guy is saying. Luckely, I am familiar with photography world, I don't think I would need any more payed help in between,

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:10 PM
lycale
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NX2: capture and view

I am not sure I understand what type of "bridge" you are looking for, but you can view all the photos
that you have on a compact flash or SD card by clicking on "Folders" on the left side of the screen. You can also see folders on your computer. Just navigate to your desired location. You can also click on the metadata tab to view information about a photo. Then you can double click on the photo to open it so you can edit it in the full application. It will open a raw, jpeg, or tiff file.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NX2: capture and view

for those of you with loads of cores, how many does view and capture use? i've only two and it maxes out both.

Aug 21, 2012 at 07:14 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NX2: capture and view

NX2 has never been speedy. If you look at past threads, that's been a continuous complaint.

I stopped using it when I needed 2 keys to update versions -- and I only had the last one.

In any event you'll get much better and faster NEF conversions from CS6.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · NX2: capture and view

Bernie wrote:
NX2 has never been speedy. If you look at past threads, that's been a continuous complaint.

I stopped using it when I needed 2 keys to update versions -- and I only had the last one.

In any event you'll get much better and faster NEF conversions from CS6.

You are right. I got NX2 for my Netbook, that I take with me to Serengeti.
For "serious" works, I always use CS. i will get a new desktop with 16 gigs of RAM and CS6.

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:46 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.