Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

kaycephoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

i'm looking for a sturdy/reliable backpack that can hold up to a 600mk4 lens.. mostly would like to use it for travel/hikes/trips with flights involved, so lighter & more affordable are obviously great things, as I already have a fairly large Lowepro 200AW shoulder bag for general event coverage, a smaller Crumpler shoulder bag for casual walk-around sessions & a Thinktank Airport Security 2.0 for local weddings..

from a quick FM search, have a few recommendations from a prior thread already but I wouldn't mind some more opinions because I'm torn on a few different options.. at this point, I think I can either go with a super small backpack that only fits the supertele + body or a much bigger backpack that would almost rival the size of my Thinktank roller (not really thrilled with this idea, so looking for other choices)

maybe what I should've gotten was a Thinktank International v2.0 instead :/

thanks in advance for your help!

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:21 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

Kensis. Just back from Alaska...regional jets to bush planes and Kensis worked great as always with my 500mm.

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:58 PM
Vince Maidens
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

I think a Gura Gear Kiboko 30L is probably a great choice. I think it'll handle a 600.

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:59 PM
voltaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

I use a Kiboko 30L. You just need to get used to the butterfly opening.

Aug 09, 2012 at 04:50 PM
Jim McCann
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

I'm looking at the Kata pro backpack for my 500. Haven't touched one yet.

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:00 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

These guys have a good system http://www.kgear.com , you can basically custom make your own solution from the products they have.

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:15 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

Sneakyracer wrote:
These guys have a good system http://www.kgear.com , you can basically custom make your own solution from the products they have.

I use the largest Kinesis Pack with the deep hood and the padded belt:

Kinesis B308 - Large Heavy-duty Belt (34-38" / 85-97cm) B308
Kinesis H130 - Long Lens/Harness Strap H130
Kinesis L026 - Foam Doughnut L026
Kinesis L128 - Paddded Long Lens Deep Lid (specify buckle) L128
Kinesis L621b - PC Long Lens Case 600 (w/ E330 & Y515) L621b
Kinesis P019b - Heavy-duty Pack Frame (incl. H250 & 1 Y205) P019b
Kinesis T134 - Small Ball Head Pouch T134
Kinesis T164 - Tripod Feet Pouch T164
Kinesis T317 - Large Ballhead Pack Pouch T317
Kinesis Y204 - Small QR (quick-release) Strap Y204
Kinesis Y205 - Medium QR (quick-release) Strap Y205
Kinesis Y306 - Large Compression Strap Y306
Kinesis Y308 - Large QR (quick-release) Strap Y308

You can fit the 600 II with the hood in shooting position, a 1D series body attached and a teleconverter attached and hang a tripod and head off of it. And the fit isn't too tight like some other bags that will strip off your lenscoat. I can hike for miles with this bag and have no issue. But it is a backpack not a tight little airport bag i.e. it has strap and a belt hanging off it.

I looked at the Gura Gear Kiboko 30L and I like it. It looks very light weight, less bulky - it's looks nice for car and airport trips. But I wouldn't really want to hike very far with one. It has almost no padding/support. And if you go hiking with just one big Supertele all the weight will be on one side of the pack and you'll be leaning the whole way.

Different beast.

I haven't found a perfect bag for both hiking and airport travel with just a supertele kit. Lars uses a ThinkTank Airport Addicted with his 800L and like it for travel and packing but I don't know if they make that one anymore - or anything quite that big.

Edited on Aug 09, 2012 at 05:34 PM · View previous versions

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:32 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

Tenba 400 LL is my favourite bag for 500 f/4 and 400 f/2.8 lenses with 1D camera mounted and hood reversed.

The bag comes with an excellent shoulder strap, but the backpack harness needs to be bought separately if needed.

I also keep my 500 f/4 lens stored in the bag at home.
The bag can not accomodate the 600mm lens.

The B&H price is $165 which is significantly cheaper than those fancy/weird named backpacks.

Tenba quality is high and similar to that of Lowepro and Think Tank bags.

Edited on Aug 10, 2012 at 04:38 PM · View previous versions

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:34 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

the Kinesis system seems pretty sound, but is pretty confusing at a glance.. don't think that'd solve my airport prob tho.

really want to pull the trigger on a Kata TLB-600 PL for hiking/birding type excursions.. seems like a sensible solution for my random walkarounds.. can have a 500/600 in shooting position, plus a tiny bit of room in other pouches/compartments for accessories & even possibly an extender.. also doesn't solve my airport travel problem in the slightest though haha.

netexpress wrote:
I looked at the Gura Gear Kiboko 30L and I like it. It looks very light weight, less bulky - it's looks nice for car and airport trips. But I wouldn't really want to hike very far with one. It has almost no padding/support. And if you go hiking with just one big Supertele all the weight will be on one side of the pack and you'll be leaning the whole way.

I haven't found a perfect bag for both hiking and airport travel with just a supertele kit. Lars uses a ThinkTank Airport Addicted with his 800L and like
...Show more

with you on all points you made. so far the Gura Gear 30L seems to be the most well-rounded solution I've seen, except I had the exact same thought when I looked at it & it bothered me a lot.. seems it'd be super un-balanced, either with the supertele weighing one side down during the trek, or with the supertele out & a few other lenses/bodies clinking around one side when i'm handholding the big lens (which I do for a lotta the time, even when walking).. :/

my ThinkTank Security 2.0 is a highly-customizable well-protected champ for any purpose involving a car, but really isn't much fun as a hiking backpack for extended periods of time.. plus the sizing puts it in jeopardy of being slightly over-sized to carry on smaller planes & even an inch over the regulation for Canadian domestic flights.. pretty sure they won't let me carry that on fully-loaded for next year's destination weddings to the Caribbean.. bah

the ThinkTank Airport Accelerator backpack actually looks pretty good too, though I'd say the Gura 30L (future-proofed for a 600mkII) or Gura 22L (good for current 500mkI + a laptop) are prob a bit more attractive at this point.. any other suggestions?

thanks for all the help so far btw, much appreciated.. i'll check back later on & post some thoughts on a few other options I was looking at earlier..

Aug 09, 2012 at 06:28 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

Kevin, here is also a very nice carrying strap for your new 500 f/4.
It's Couture Organza collection "Plum", and B&H carries it.

Edited on Aug 10, 2012 at 04:39 PM · View previous versions

Aug 09, 2012 at 07:28 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

Gura Gear Kiboko 30L

Aug 09, 2012 at 07:38 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

ended up going with a Gura Gear Kiboko 22L+ for now, given that a 15" laptop slot comes in handy for both my upcoming wedding trip & also next year's destination weddings.. i figure when the time comes for me to make the $6000+ upgrade from a 500mkI to a 600mkII, I can always buy the 30L then..

thanks for all the recommendations! i'll revisit this thread in about a week's time with my thoughts of the product, though I'm almost positive I won't be disappointed..

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:03 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

kaycephoto wrote:
ended up going with a Gura Gear Kiboko 22L+ for now, given that a 15" laptop slot comes in handy for both my upcoming wedding trip & also next year's destination weddings.. i figure when the time comes for me to make the $6000+ upgrade from a 500mkI to a 600mkII, I can always buy the 30L then..

thanks for all the recommendations! i'll revisit this thread in about a week's time with my thoughts of the product, though I'm almost positive I won't be disappointed..

Congrats. i did the same before the summer vacation trip. Great product, very well designed. (The butterfly design while ackward at first, is very useful once you get used to it.). The simplest thing such as all the zippers of the butterfly end up in the top center of the bag make it a snap to ensure that all zippers are closed, which comes in very handy when you are overrun with excitement of spotting a wolf / bear / insert what you may

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:05 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

after a long, continuous 6-hour session with lots of hiking & no sitting/pack-off breaks at all, have to give the Gura Gear Kiboko 22L+ two enthusiastic thumbs up!

very well-designed & very light, took a few mins to get used to the design but everything makes sense & you can almost tell it was designed by a wildlife/travel photographer especially for long-lens shooting.. in particular, i was impressed with how easy it was to tighten the front straps on the fly & how easy it was to pop the bag on & off.. the butterfly zippers at the top is a great idea, i was able to keep the pack on one shoulder, reach in quickly with one zipper half opened to grab my extenders..

it balances much better than I thought it would, though my sore shoulders wouldn't tell you it distributes weight perfectly like a high-end hiking backpack might. this is a minor thing though, as I didn't expect a camera pack to compare with a full out extreme-survival backpack - plus i'm sure i'll rarely go 6 hours straight carrying the following:

1Ds3, 1DmkIV, 12mm Ext Tube, 1.4x III TC, 2x III TC, Zeiss 21mm, 135L & 500L (mkI) all snugly inside, plus a Manfrotto monopod & a large bottle of Gatorade on the left/right outside pouches..

got lots of keepers today so that makes me even happier =) hopefully over time i'll be able to say that the Gura Gear pack is durable + stands the test of time as well..

thanks everyone for the recommendations! (I'll definitely get a 30L when I size up on supertelephoto lenses in the future)

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Suggestions for a good supertelephoto backpack?

Thinktank also make a nice pack if you have a 500/600

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/859423-REG/Think_Tank_489_Airport_Accelerator_Backpack_Black.html

Aug 15, 2012 at 05:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.