Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Voigtlander 75mm SL II 1.8 Heliar?

nategigapixel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtlander 75mm SL II 1.8 Heliar?

Just curious if anyone has used the new voigtlander 75mm 1.8 Heliar? There are times I'm probably only going to run two lenses on me, I was thinking the Voigt 40mm and 75mm..

Apr 18, 2012 at 03:17 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtlander 75mm SL II 1.8 Heliar?

This thread might offer some insight: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1020991

I posted some examples there with the M mount version, shot with the M9. From my understanding, the SL version is optically identical. There is a reason it's given the name "classic" by Cosina - it's not a clinically corner to corner sharp, modern design, in case that's what you're after.

It also seems to exhibit some focus shift, and will purple fringe in high contrast, high brightness transition areas.

While this is related to Leica M mount, I have since had the opportunity to use the Leica 75mm f/2.5 Summarit, and would hands-down pick the Summarit over the Voigtlander for most purposes, despite the significant price difference.

Ron

Apr 18, 2012 at 03:30 PM
nategigapixel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtlander 75mm SL II 1.8 Heliar?

rscheffler wrote:
This thread might offer some insight: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1020991

I posted some examples there with the M mount version, shot with the M9. From my understanding, the SL version is optically identical. There is a reason it's given the name "classic" by Cosina - it's not a clinically corner to corner sharp, modern design, in case that's what you're after.

It also seems to exhibit some focus shift, and will purple fringe in high contrast, high brightness transition areas.

While this is related to Leica M mount, I have since had the opportunity to use the Leica 75mm f/2.5 Summarit, and would hands-down pick the
...Show more
Thank you! It's funny, yet a little sad that they would use the term "classic" to describe softness. I do appreciate your input, I was hoping for a 'miracle' lens in the 75 heliar. I feel like the best option is converting a 90mm summicron to nikon mount, maybe zeiss equivalent (although at a premium $)

Apr 18, 2012 at 05:09 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtlander 75mm SL II 1.8 Heliar?

If speed is not a concern you could also try the well regarded Voigtlander ltm mount 75mm f/2.5.

Apr 18, 2012 at 05:17 PM
nategigapixel
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtlander 75mm SL II 1.8 Heliar?

Gary Clennan wrote:
If speed is not a concern you could also try the well regarded Voigtlander ltm mount 75mm f/2.5.

Gary, I looked at that also! Is there an optical difference between that and the 1.8? The 1.8 is fairly new, but I really haven't read much on it, except from Ken Rockwell... When all is said and done, I'd really like a two lens setup with the D800E, I've already picked the Utron 40mm II (long story, but I need that focal length and filter size for 3D) so something in the 75mm-90mm range to compliment it (mostly editorial style shooting)

Apr 18, 2012 at 05:45 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtlander 75mm SL II 1.8 Heliar?

You could also look into the CV 90mm f/3.5 SL-II if speed isn't a concern. This lens performs nearly identically wide-open through f/8 in terms of sharpness. Stopping down gives a little extra contrast and obviously more depth of field. It's pretty well corrected with very little CA other than in challenging conditions. Bokeh, transition from in-focus to out-of-focus are appealing and smooth. Overall I think it's a better lens than the 40mm which I also have.

Apr 18, 2012 at 06:19 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtlander 75mm SL II 1.8 Heliar?

From the test results that I have seen for the LTM version, the 2.5 is sharper than the 1.8 at equivalent F stop. I have not seen comparison of the SL II version. And I always wonder how the LTM/M can have the same optical formula as the SL, as they have different flange distance and the SL version always seem to be bigger in size Anyway, perhaps they have the same design philosophy.

Apr 18, 2012 at 06:58 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtlander 75mm SL II 1.8 Heliar?

nategigapixel wrote:
Gary, I looked at that also! Is there an optical difference between that and the 1.8? The 1.8 is fairly new, but I really haven't read much on it, except from Ken Rockwell... When all is said and done, I'd really like a two lens setup with the D800E, I've already picked the Utron 40mm II (long story, but I need that focal length and filter size for 3D) so something in the 75mm-90mm range to compliment it (mostly editorial style shooting)

Completely different lenses, the 75/2.5 is the 90's little brother, very sharp. Only problem is no F mount version (there might have been an SL version but it would be difficult to find). In F mount I'd look at the 90/3.5 SLII (great but slow) for a nice match to the 40/2.

You might also consider the new 85/1.8G.

Apr 18, 2012 at 07:09 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtlander 75mm SL II 1.8 Heliar?

I completely missed the f-mount requirement. Sorry! Blame it on the beer...

Apr 18, 2012 at 08:14 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Voigtlander 75mm SL II 1.8 Heliar?

aleksanderpolo wrote:
From the test results that I have seen for the LTM version, the 2.5 is sharper than the 1.8 at equivalent F stop. I have not seen comparison of the SL II version. And I always wonder how the LTM/M can have the same optical formula as the SL, as they have different flange distance and the SL version always seem to be bigger in size Anyway, perhaps they have the same design philosophy.

Because the 75 f/1.8's rear element is recessed at least 2cm from the lens mount. Since I believe Leica's flange distance is about 28mm, add another 20mm and you have more than enough for SLR use.

Nathan, I guess it depends on your expectations from this lens. It sounds like you're looking for something pretty high in performance if you're considering a 90 Cron or one of the ZF lenses... What about something like an AI-S 105 f/2.5? I haven't used one of these, but have heard good things about them, and have thought about getting one for my GXR (or if I can find the LTM version, then I could also use it on the M9, having seen some nice results from Gary with it in the M8/M9 thread).

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM
nategigapixel
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Voigtlander 75mm SL II 1.8 Heliar?

rscheffler wrote:
Because the 75 f/1.8's rear element is recessed at least 2cm from the lens mount. Since I believe Leica's flange distance is about 28mm, add another 20mm and you have more than enough for SLR use.

Nathan, I guess it depends on your expectations from this lens. It sounds like you're looking for something pretty high in performance if you're considering a 90 Cron or one of the ZF lenses... What about something like an AI-S 105 f/2.5? I haven't used one of these, but have heard good things about them, and have thought about getting one for my GXR
...Show more

Yes, I thought about the new Nikon 85 too, and the 105 might be a little too long for when I do shoot studio. It would be nice to take advantage of the autofocus features, but I get sentimental about certain companies (even though there is better!)

Apr 19, 2012 at 02:35 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.