Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · prcoessing large .tiff files?

buggz2k
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · prcoessing large .tiff files?

Hello,

I am trying to edit large .tiff files of stitched images.
Having a really hard time with files that are 1.0GB or more.
I use Win7-64 with 8GB RAM and PS-CS5.
I'm guessing I need to edit my CS5 parameters as the system just constantly spools the HDD?
I'm not too certain I can upgrade the memory in my laptop for 16GB.

If you are successfully performing similar edits in a similar environment, I'd love to hear of your setup configs.

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · prcoessing large .tiff files?

You need as much ram as you can install.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Zaitz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · prcoessing large .tiff files?

Tell me about it. I did some edits on a 1.5gb 4x5 scan today and then it wouldn't save saying I didn't have enough ram. My 4x5 and 8x10 scans do that quite often. I try to keep the history states low and save often but it is beyond sluggish. Dfine and ColorEfex refuse to open sometimes.

6gb ram and 1tb hd. quad core. But its not enough for files that size. I allow CS5 to use over 3gb of ram. Won't let me go any higher. I just went in and changed my virtual memory to allow over 10gb vs the 6 it had before. No idea if that will help.

Jan 24, 2012 at 05:53 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · prcoessing large .tiff files?

what is your memory allocation for CS5?

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · prcoessing large .tiff files?

Thank you for the replies and your time.

The more I read, searching on Google, about large .tiffs and Win7, I see there is a widely known bug/problem in Win7, and MicroSloth knows about it also.
The "file exploder" will consume 100% memory, yes, I have the preview pane OFF, and the search indexer OFF.
As I've said, this is a known problem in Win7, that did not occur under Vista, nor XP.
I now use Q-Dir to navigate about.
Seems to work good.
Bridge works good too, just have to increase the cache size.

Anywho, my system is a Dell XPS17 laptop, Intel Core i7-2670QM - 4 cores, 8GB RAM.
My GPU is a 3GB nVIDIA GeForce GT 555M.
My current settings in Win7-64 is for an custom managed initial paging file of 8386MB, and a max of 24258MB.
The ONLY Visual Effects selected is smoothing edges of screen fonts, all the other eye candy waste is turned OFF.
My CS5 settings are, let PS use 5334MB, 75% of RAM. Hmm, might increase that?
PS scratch disk is C:, hmm, maybe an SSD would help?

My current stitching experiment is a 42 image stitch from a 5DmkII using a Mamiya 645 120mm f4 Macro, 19907x12543 pixels, 249.69MP, 2.063GB .tiff file generated from MS ICE, an app which I really like.
Opening this file in PS-CS5 results in constant HDD usage, it does open, and I can even eventually get Topaz Denoise 5 to process the file, though, this is far too time consuming.
And then, I'm worring about my drive usage/lifespan.

As I have been pondering the purchase of a digital medium format system, I am not interested in 8bit files, thanks.
I can only wonder in amazement what system is needed to do this type of work.

Guess I need a 16GB+ mega desktop to do what I want?
Sigh...

Jan 24, 2012 at 08:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · prcoessing large .tiff files?

24 or 32GB in a desktop system would be advisable along with use of good SSDs.

EBH

Jan 24, 2012 at 09:01 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · prcoessing large .tiff files?

here is what you need to understand first.

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/05/how-to-tune-photoshop-cs5-for-peak-performance.html

Sorry Apple and Mac, CS5 supports 10-bit color per channel ONLY on Windows if you really need to work with lots of color data.

Jan 24, 2012 at 09:48 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · prcoessing large .tiff files?

mshi - you're confusing image data bit depth with screen bit depth. According to that article, and I'm not sure it's still even current, Windows 7 seven supports up to 10 bits per channel of DISPLAY data, but only if you have a screen and video card that supports it.

All forms of Ps support 15+1 and 32 bit for image data. If you're using what's known as a "smart" monitor, which does all of its calibration calculations internally on high bit data before sending that calibrated data to the video card, you're really not going to see any benefit. For monitors that attain their calibration solely through video card lookup tables, a 10 bit data path is helpful, but again, you have to have equipment that actually does that.

For the record, we HAD ten bit video cards on the Mac back in '95. I know because I paid $1300 for the Radius card to pair with the Radius PressView series monitor. Kinda pricey but worked exceptionally well.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.