New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Flash triggers what do you use

rogerwilco
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash triggers what do you use

Well I have been wondering what you guys use and recommend for off camera flash ? And which is best in your honest opinions? Any intel is appreciated

Roger

ps this is my first attempt at a poll

Nov 28, 2011 at 02:50 PM
gridironphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash triggers what do you use

I went with PW's because they are supposed to be the most reliable. They are pretty expensive, but nothing drives me crazier than equipment that works sporadically.

Nov 28, 2011 at 02:56 PM
NYCPhotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash triggers what do you use

I voted for Cyber Commander but I don't actually use it to trigger flashes. Most people don't use it to trigger flashes. I use the CST to trigger and the Cyber Commander is used to adjust lights.

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:04 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash triggers what do you use

I voted commander but I use cst and csrb.

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:15 PM
BugLightGeek
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash triggers what do you use

I've been quite happy with my RF-602s.
Even to the point of thinking of selling my Nikon SU-800.

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:55 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash triggers what do you use

I use PT-04TMs, but I wouldn't recommend them. They work well enough, but the design is poor, and they are relatively delicate.

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:58 PM
rogerwilco
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash triggers what do you use

what about the radio poppers they cost more and are suppose to be good?

Nov 28, 2011 at 05:14 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash triggers what do you use

No profoto AIR?

Nov 28, 2011 at 05:24 PM
Roger Whitehead
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flash triggers what do you use

I use PW's. Never had a failure to fire.

RWW

Nov 28, 2011 at 05:27 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flash triggers what do you use

RF 602s. No misfires, no failures.

Nov 28, 2011 at 05:34 PM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flash triggers what do you use

I use YN-603s (the tranceiver kind). Love em, never had a problem with em, and when they break, I got 4 of em for $60.

I also love Nikons CLS. It works great.

Nov 28, 2011 at 05:35 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flash triggers what do you use

Skyports, because I shoot Elincrhom and like the remote power capability. I've also got a set of PW Mini/Flex transimitters.

Nov 28, 2011 at 06:52 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flash triggers what do you use

I use the Profoto Air Remote for D1s and a D4 Air 2400. I am very thankful that I no longer have to lower overheads or use a stepladder to adjust lights on booms. If I am mixing in shoe mount flashes (Canon 550ex and 580ex IIs), then I use cheap Seagull optical slaves.

Nov 28, 2011 at 07:48 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flash triggers what do you use

gridironphoto wrote:
I went with PW's because they are supposed to be the most reliable. They are pretty expensive, but nothing drives me crazier than equipment that works sporadically.

I have used both CyberSyncs and PW side by side in the field. Both are equal until the temperature gets down to about 5F below zero. Then, the CyberSyncs definitely begin to pull away by maintaining their 100% reliability. I saw no difference at temps above zero (F), so I went with 12 CyberSyncs. Still have 2 PW in my bag but rarely use.

Kent in SD

Nov 28, 2011 at 09:44 PM
theMAGE
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Flash triggers what do you use

Cactus V5. Cheap and when they work, they work.

But they are fiddly to set on camera and easy to turn on and empty the batteries before you actually get to shoot anything.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Angry Dad

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Flash triggers what do you use

I agree on the Cactus V5. They really do work. Just need to improve the plastic feel. Great deal for something less than 30 bucks.

Nov 29, 2011 at 02:25 AM
Dave Jr
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Flash triggers what do you use

I voted Yongnau, because they are non system specific, and the first ones I acquired. I have also used Skyports with elinchrom and now the cyber commander with Einsteins. But I still use the RF 602's for speedlights, and if I want fire the camera shutter remotely.

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Flash triggers what do you use

With my speedlghts I don't use radio triggers. In most indoor situations the built-in signaling works fine within the specified range of 40-50ft. if the slave sensor is aimed toward the Master and isn't blocked by a modifier. I solved the signaling problem by creating a DIY modifier doesn't block the sensor window and makes it easy to point the sensor at the Master then rotate the flash to the subject...

http://super.nova.org/TP/DIYdiffusers.jpg

As this test shows line of sight isn't needed indoors...
http://super.nova.org/TP/CanonEXrange1.jpg
and range isn't usually a problem...
http://super.nova.org/TP/PSurge4.jpg

Outdoors where there is nothing to bounce the preflash signals line of sight is necessary and range is limited to 20 ft. But in HSS the power of the flash limits range to 10ft (without modifers) and in most cases the front of my slave is in its own shadow...

http://super.nova.org/TP/HSS/_MG_5035.jpg

So it will work indoors and out if you understand how it is designed to work and can work within those limitations. I learned how to do that because when I bought my speedlights ETTL / HSS capable radio triggers were not available and I didn't want to be limited to manual indoors (I'd shot many years that way with Vivitars) or be hamstrung by sync limit outdoors. I haven't bought radio triggers for the speedlights since because I haven't had the need; the optical works fine 95% of the time and the other 5% I can find a workaround.

In the studio I use a single pair of older PW.
http://super.nova.org/TP/AB_wired_remote.jpg

My four AV800s connect to the Buff wired remote panel and it connects to the PW receiver allowing me to trigger the lights with both the camera and meter transmitters.

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Flash triggers what do you use

I use Phottix Strato IIs and have been happy with them the short time i've had them.

=Brian

Nov 29, 2011 at 09:10 PM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Flash triggers what do you use

PocketWizard TT5's.

Now that the software has corrected most of the earlier hickups (not that I really was bothered by the then present faults) I'm very satisfied with them especially for range and reliability.

Also being able to use the system in a similar way as Nikon CLS is a big plus for me.

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.