FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2011 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Do NOT use Paypal Gift.
Let me write it again: DO NOT use Papal Gift...

If you always used Paypal gift, things may start getting 3% more expensive but at least you will have peace of mind. Think of it as if you are paying 3% insurance for your item. If things go wrong you will get your money back!

Ultimately, this decision is yours and I will not enforce it. If you still decide to use Paypal gift, be aware of the risks. As I wrote in the "Disclosure, Rules & Guidelines":

My advice is to take the time to always check references first. Members should NEVER use "money order", "money owed payment", "Paypal Gift" or any other uninsured payment methods. Only use insured credit card and insured Paypal when dealing with new members with low number of posts and feedback. Be aware of transactions coming from a WTB (Want to buy) threads whenever the interested party conducts all communications through pm or email.

We try our best to keep the site as safe as possible, but be aware of the risks when buying items online and make sure to always protect yourself.
Fred

Edited on Oct 27, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Oct 27, 2011 at 08:52 PM
Etienne Otero
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Obrigado

Oct 27, 2011 at 09:02 PM
robbrouse
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Paypal Gift - Please read

I agree. I took paypal gift and after thinking about it it's dishonest. You are cheating paypal.

Oct 27, 2011 at 09:08 PM
amsterdem
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Paypal Gift - Please read

concur

Oct 27, 2011 at 09:17 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Great advice. Btw there are credit cards out there that pay 2% cash back with no tiers or bs. That helps defray the cost of the PayPal fee, cutting it down to 1%. If PayPal is going to take a 3% bite of flesh you might as well bite back and get 2% of that back. Two no-fee 2% cash-back cards I'm aware of are the Charles Schwab Visa and the Fidelity American Express. Just did a quick web search and it looks like Scwab might not be offering that card anymore. I believe Fidelity still offers theirs though.

Oct 27, 2011 at 09:31 PM
Vixen89
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Paypal Gift - Please read

yep..use goods/services/ebay items only. :o

Oct 27, 2011 at 09:32 PM
Armee
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Paypal Gift - Please read

FYI..Paypal charges Canadians 4%.
I only used gift when dealing with well established members,to me it's a question of trust.

Oct 27, 2011 at 09:33 PM
lnhd_113
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Paypal Gift - Please read

BE AWARE....recently receive email offer for my wtb item through forums email. Becareful to check references, etc before doing any type of business.

Oct 27, 2011 at 09:43 PM
Armee
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Paypal Gift - Please read

lnhd_113 wrote:
BE AWARE....recently receive email offer for my wtb item through forums email. Becareful to check references, etc before doing any type of business.

please read.....

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1055496

Oct 27, 2011 at 09:49 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Unfortunately, PayPal will always side with a buyer who wants to defraud a seller, and the seller has no recourse, so the same rules about checking references and only dealing with established members applies to using regular PayPal just as it does to using PayPal Gift.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:00 PM
bluenoser23

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Fred Miranda wrote:
. Be aware of transactions coming from a WTB (Want to buy) threads whenever the interested party conducts all communications through pm or email.</i>

I'm still learning the ropes at FM but I'm curious about this suggestion. I posted a WTB ad this week and after getting a bogus email reply I edited my ad and requested contact through PM only as it establishes that it's at least an FM member. My question is why is it dubious when someone asks that communication be done through PM? (I honestly don't know??) What would be a more legitimate communication preference?

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:14 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Paypal Gift - Please read

I've stopped dealing with sellers who ask for PP gift. Or list a price but then ask you to pay fees in order to make their price look more attractive. Take all proper precautions as a buyer and seller and you don't end up burned. I never have been in hundreds of online transactions.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:38 PM
Pandemic
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Paypal Gift - Please read

molson wrote:
Unfortunately, PayPal will always side with a buyer who wants to defraud a seller, and the seller has no recourse, so the same rules about checking references and only dealing with established members applies to using regular PayPal just as it does to using PayPal Gift.

I know that this is not true from recent, personal experience. If you follow their rules, then they will be on your side.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:47 PM
GEN_PHOTO
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Paypal Gift - Please read

bluenoser23 wrote:
I'm still learning the ropes at FM but I'm curious about this suggestion. I posted a WTB ad this week and after getting a bogus email reply I edited my ad and requested contact through PM only as it establishes that it's at least an FM member. My question is why is it dubious when someone asks that communication be done through PM? (I honestly don't know??) What would be a more legitimate communication preference?

Thanks!

this is only a platform, the site only generate traffic, but not commission or income on item sold here on the forum. And obviously, there will be USER who like to blame or complaint that they have been scammed. Fact is, there is always risk involving with online purchase...

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:54 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Not really, Paypal will always side with who BS the best.

Pandemic wrote:
I know that this is not true from recent, personal experience. If you follow their rules, then they will be on your side.

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:58 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Well, unfortunately, Paypal wasn't on my side as a buyer few years back over at Photo.net. From what I heard, local police got involved and the guy got caught...The truth is, there is always risk with on-line purchases. Paypal will NOT always be on your side regardless of payment method and whether you follow their rules or not! As buyer/seller, YOU will just have to do your homework and go from there.

Pandemic wrote:

Edited on Oct 27, 2011 at 11:38 PM · View previous versions

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Paypal Gift - Please read

On rare occasions I have used gift but normally with repeat customers. I sold a lens the other day and told the buyer no gift for his and my protection.

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:34 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Paypal Gift - Please read

Pandemic wrote:

It's happened to me twice now, by people who have used a lens for a month or so and then decided they didn't want it anymore.

Once the buyer files a dispute, PayPal freezes the seller's account until the money is refunded. At that point, all you can do is hope the buyer returns your item in once piece, or you're out your money and the item you sold.

Oct 27, 2011 at 11:56 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Paypal Gift - Please read

If you buy from someone and pay with PayPal Gift, you have no recourse through PayPal to get your money back if you do not receive the item for any reason. They clearly state that in their policy. From a legal standpoint, if you checked the box "gift", you legally did not buy anything.

If you see a Seller on this board asking for payment by PayPal Gift, I think you should post a link to this thread. What does it matter if the Seller has good feedback on this board? It is basically a dishonest practice.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:01 AM
cocosphere
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Paypal Gift - Please read

I would like for FM users to look at Paypal gift in another way in addition to Fred's comment. It makes sense to all of us that Paypal gift gives no recourse for fraudulent users. I considered gift a way to allow established users to save a little money until I got the message loud and clear from Paypal indirectly.

Please look at it another way from someone with 35 "great" feedbacks. Due to my taking Paypal gift I have "earned" the right to wait 21 days before I can get paid by Paypal for a transaction unless I call the them and can demonstrate that the item was received and all is well 3 days after the delivery date. All it took was 3 "gift" transactions from users here that I gave the option of reducing their payment by 3%, the most recent was a payment for a 5D mark II. The power of Paypal payments is in the hands of the buyer regardless of the feedback here on Fred Miranda. I was told that all Paypal users have to endure this, by Paypal but I have been a member since 2000 and I didn't face the scrutiny until I took the 3 gift payments in one month to the tune of approximately $3000.

Please keep this in mind in addition to Fred's warning from someone who has learned the hard way.

Oct 28, 2011 at 01:12 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.