Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Backlit soccer photos

awacs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backlit soccer photos

Could someone please post a pic or two of back-lit soccer action? Sunny day with the sun behind the players. I'd like to see how you handle the shadowed faces within a background of bright grass, sky, etc. Also, if you care to mention what you do in post (do you add fill? Leave it alone?) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Aram

Oct 18, 2011 at 09:37 AM
kapytalyst
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backlit soccer photos

I live in south Florida and am faced with this issue all the time shooting soccer! Have you considered spot metering or - if you camera allows it - metering off of the active af point. This will probably blow some highlights but you will get clearer face shots. Generally you should be shooting tight enough that this wont matter - and generally white uniforms don't disappear using this technique.

Once you see what your optimal settings are using spot you throttle back the meter until the combination suits you - ie. light shadows on the faces and most highlights preserved.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backlit soccer photos

Aram,
However you typically meter, do the same thing and add at least +2/3 exposure compensation to account for the backlighting. This will lead to some things being overexposed, but you should overcome the harshest element of the shadows. In post, some contrast boosting might be in order.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:07 AM
awacs
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backlit soccer photos

Thanks guys. I shoot at +.7 to +1 eV in those conditions, and let the background go where it may.

I just kinda want to see what your finished product looks like. I'd like to see how better photogs than I handle the obvious compromises involved. I suspect I'm going to change my PP strategies.

Thanks again.
Aram

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM
kapytalyst
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backlit soccer photos

This is obvious, but the best solution is to try to avoid the circumstance altogether by positioning yourself to avoid those harshly backlit situations. I agree it is sometimes not possible.

I personally find it a lot less fun focusing into the sun anyway.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:47 PM
awacs
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backlit soccer photos

kapytalyst wrote:
This is obvious, but the best solution is to try to avoid the circumstance altogether by positioning yourself to avoid those harshly backlit situations. I agree it is sometimes not possible.

I personally find it a lot less fun focusing into the sun anyway.

yeah... but when it's my daughter's team, and they're running with the sun at their backs..... ya know....

Oct 18, 2011 at 02:18 PM
Benzzene
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backlit soccer photos

ARAM--interesting tactical...must be active or retired AWACer! The best thing you can do with backlighting is fill in post processing...I'm 27 years USAF as an AWACer! Benzzene

Oct 18, 2011 at 09:38 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backlit soccer photos

kapytalyst wrote:
... the best solution is to try to avoid the circumstance altogether by positioning yourself to avoid those harshly backlit situations.

I was originally going to respectfully disagree with this statement, but Deborah's post explains what I was thinking much more effectively than I could have typed it.

In short, I believe if one chooses to "avoid the circumstance altogether" they're missing out on the opportunity for some very cool photos.

Oct 18, 2011 at 09:39 PM
awacs
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backlit soccer photos

Benzzene wrote:
ARAM--interesting tactical...must be active or retired AWACer! The best thing you can do with backlighting is fill in post processing...I'm 27 years USAF as an AWACer! Benzzene

Benzzene,

No such luck. Though it is related....
Awacs is a nickname my first martial arts instructor gave me. He said it was "because of the way you spar". It was offbeat enough to stick.

Everyone, thanks for the thoughts and photo inspiration. This is very helpful.

Aram

Oct 18, 2011 at 09:52 PM
ShirleyP
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Backlit soccer photos

+1 for Deborah's post. Any time you have hats/helmets, backlit is the way to keep funky shadows off the faces.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:58 AM
flemingjk

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Backlit soccer photos

+1 +1 +1 for Deborah's examples. Beautiful photos, especially the soccer shots.
And her advice the best way to do it that I have found.

Jon

Oct 20, 2011 at 09:05 PM
stedge
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Backlit soccer photos

I have found this very informative. Deborah, love the shots.

Thanks so much.

Oct 21, 2011 at 07:07 AM
PierreB
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Backlit soccer photos

Excellent shots there Deborah.

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Backlit soccer photos

Thanks for the kind words! Once you get used to working with backlit subjects, you'll find it not only helps you get good shots in harsh light, but also makes your work stand out from the crowd.

Oct 21, 2011 at 07:28 PM
wembley
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Backlit soccer photos

I'd say the best way to meter and shoot is to put it into Manual mode, zoom in and shoot a face shot. Adjust exposure as needed and then leave the settings. Voila. The shadow face will maintain the same exposure so no need to let the sensor get tricked by using aperture or shutter priority.

One downside to shooting into the light (but not that big a deal to not doing it) is the nuclear green grass!!!!

Oct 21, 2011 at 08:02 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Backlit soccer photos

Deborah,
Some awesome examples of backlit / backlighting. The last shot of the pitcher with the dust is incredible- almost wants to make you extract the pitcher so you can use the rest as a background ;-)..
Guy

Oct 27, 2011 at 10:02 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Backlit soccer photos

Deborah

WOW! Thanks for sharing your photos and advice. Top shelf images!

I've always dreaded LAX in the sun, now I'm looking forward to next spring. Like you said, anything to set you apart.

Oct 28, 2011 at 05:32 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Backlit soccer photos

Has anyone use the auto ISO in M mode in backlit situations using the 1D4? If so, how did the images turn out?

Oct 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Backlit soccer photos

I used auto ISO on the 7D in M mode backlit (not above). Depending on the distance and uniform color it can work quite well. Assuming non-black and non-white uniforms, you can use / try Spot metering (although on the 7D it is only the center), Partial (i use this a lot), or Evaluative (which is supposed to emphasize the selected AF point for metering but i have most mixed bag of results with this).

Many threads dedicated to the fact that the 7D is missing EC (exposure compensation) and Exposure Lock when put in Manual mode for these exact conditions where the light varies enough to need some auto-variable setting by the camera, but where the camera doesn't quite get it right on its own.

Does the 1d IV have EC or EL in M mode?

Guy

Oct 28, 2011 at 04:26 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Backlit soccer photos

No the 1D4 does not have EC in manual mode, but it does have EC micro adjustment that allows you to micro adjust the EC but you have to go into the menu to set. I have mine as a favorite so I can get to it a bit faster than going through the normal menu.

gschlact wrote:

Does the 1d IV have EC or EL in M mode?

Guy

Oct 29, 2011 at 03:44 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.