New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · D90 AF problems, need your help

Keopele19
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D90 AF problems, need your help

I've had my d90 since they came out, and I've been really impressed. The one thing that bothers me is this focusing issue, and I'm finally aggravated enough to do something about it.

There is a noticeable discrepancy between AF focus points, namely the most important, center autofocus point. For example, I focus on my subject (single AF point setting with the center point selected) and snap the picture. Things seem fine stopped down, but when I have things wide open there is a noticeable front focus issue. Now take the same subject and AF settings, if I select the top center AF point, it's spot on. This happens with all my lenses, especially noticeable wide open (1.8-2.8) lenses: 80-200/2.8, 85/1.8, 35/1.8 and tammy 17-50/2.8,

I actually got frustrated and sent it to Nikon shortly after the purchase, still under warrantly. WEEKS later they sent it back stating it was within their control limits....blah blah - something along those lines.

This is significant enough to change my shooting style on a DAILY BASIS (so annoying ). I find myself stopping down, losing subject isolation, and occasionally converting to MF for stationary subjects (my subjects are usually moving).

Now, It's not all bad, because my equipment can still churn out fantastic images. However, my photography is getting more serious now, and I'd like to 'upgrade' my keeper rate, or atleast not miss any more critical moments.

My options, the way I see it:
1. Try returning it to Nikon again - does anybody have experience in cost, reliability, time frame?
2. Local camera shop - is it possible for a local shop to recalibrate?
3. Time to think about d7000 or d300 (I focus on portraits and sports, especially cycling, but will throw the tamron on and do landscapes occasionally as well).

By the way, It has nearly 3 years of use, but I've never dropped it or anything like that, and this problem has been persistent from day 1.

Please, real advice, I don't want to hear anything about going full frame
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:02 AM
FortyOneSixty
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D90 AF problems, need your help

I've heard of issues like this before. From what I recall there's a good chance that your AF sensor is slightly off angle. Meaning that the top part is in the right place but the bottom might be a mm too far back.

I'd recommend one of the 3rd party repairers, I've never had good luck with Nikon. I'm sure someone will stop by and give advice as to which one

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM
FotoWerkz

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D90 AF problems, need your help

I have 2 D90 Bodies & never noticed this issue untill I started buying fast glass. & I seem to be having the same issue you describe. But I thought that it was just good glass showing me my poor technique. So I practice, practice, practice. & I am VERY frustrated to say the least. If it's a D90 issue, that would almost be good news to me.

I am subscribed to this thread.

Aug 30, 2011 at 01:22 PM
Nijay
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D90 AF problems, need your help

I have had the same issue with fast glass on my D90 as well. The center L and R focus points tend to front focus as well but not to the same extent as my dead center focus point. I noticed it quickly with my first D90, exchanged it for another one, and same problem.

I just deal with it in PP now or try to focus a bit behind my intended target (if that's feasible). It's not horrendous but it does cause me to trash a few photos here and there.

Aug 30, 2011 at 02:33 PM
Keopele19
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D90 AF problems, need your help

Found this:

http://www.howtoshot.com/82/how-to-fix-front-focus-nikon-d90-d80-back-focus-problem/

Needless to say, it looks risky. Has anybody had experience fiddling with these hex screws?

Aug 30, 2011 at 04:00 PM
Keopele19
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D90 AF problems, need your help

FYI: I received a custom quote from unitedcamera.com for $149. Repair price includes parts / labor, return ground shipping with most repairs within 48 hours, and a 90 day repair warranty with a "if it's not fixed it's free" policy (or maybe slogan )

Aug 30, 2011 at 04:13 PM
FotoWerkz

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D90 AF problems, need your help

I have a Canon camera at United Camera right now for repair of the CF card not ejecting. They have had it since the 5th of this month. It is now showing in final inspection (current status)

This is a busy time of the year for camera repair.

As info: this is something I purchased used for my 69yr old uncle that has shot Canon forever. He doesn't have much money & doesn't shoot much any more because of the cost o film & delveloping. He cant afford a new digital body to use with his lenses. So I thought he would maybe use a digital more as you only need to develope the keepers.

Aug 30, 2011 at 04:28 PM
Keopele19
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D90 AF problems, need your help

ok, my center AF point is unusable with fast glass, I'll try the allen wrench self fix. If things go badly I'll be where I am now, sending it in for repairs. Now, where to find a 2mm allen wrench...

Aug 31, 2011 at 09:56 AM
FotoWerkz

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D90 AF problems, need your help

Lol. Let us know how that goes

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:12 AM
Keopele19
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D90 AF problems, need your help

i gave it a shot and ran into a problem:
The six-sided allen wrench means that you have to be able to rotate 60 degrees minimum to reset the tool. Due to the location of the bolt and the size of the mirror box, I didn’t have 60 degrees of rotation available. What happened was the bolt started off in a position where the wrench was practically touching the mirror box if inserted one way, and I didn’t have the room to insert the wrench 60 degrees to the next position. I'm out of town at the moment and don't have a garage, so my attempt at bending the allen wrench (without a vice) to solve this issue resulted in a broken tool . I'll be home on the 5th and give it another shot then.

It's actually not as risky as it seems. Just make sure you have the right tools for the job and I really don't see a way of destroying the CCD or shutter.

Sep 01, 2011 at 07:45 PM
FotoWerkz

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D90 AF problems, need your help

Keep us posted!!

Sep 01, 2011 at 09:20 PM
Keopele19
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D90 AF problems, need your help

alright, I had two 2-mm allen keys at home randomly, so I bent one in a vice and kept the other straight (see previous post). Tinkering around I found that very small adjustments (we're talking <10 degrees) make noticeable differences in AF performance at f/1.4 - 1.8, which is good for the sticklers like me.

No surprise here: I got the center AF point dead on, but now the top AF points slightly backfocus, confirming FortyOneSixty's input. It seems like my "AF detector" is slightly off-angle.

http://www.howtoshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/nikon-d70-d80-d90-dslr-chart.jpg

The good news is I have my center point back, which is most important to me. The bad news is it's not perfect, and Nikon won't address this quality control issue even when it's under warranty. Getting the "within our control limits, etc..." runaround from Nikon when there is a very noticeable AF issue seems unprofessional to me.

Sep 06, 2011 at 02:05 PM
FotoWerkz

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D90 AF problems, need your help

Any further updates? How you liking it after your adjustment?

Sep 28, 2011 at 03:28 PM
tc20

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D90 AF problems, need your help

Just a note - I too, have a D90. It had focus issues from day 1. Like most of you, they are only noticeable with fast glass.

Sent it in to Nikon service center, and they fixed it within 7-10 working days. I believe it's a common problem with D90s.

Surprisingly I don't think many people realize they have a focus problem

Anyways, You can look through my few posts, I did post something here before since I was frustrated with the focus issue my D90.

Never tried to do fixes my self, but it sure does look interesting. Good luck!

Sep 28, 2011 at 08:22 PM
Keopele19
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D90 AF problems, need your help

well, my af detector is still off-angle, so my top and bottom AF points are slightly back and front focusing, respectively, however, I carefully adjusted the AF mirror which allowed my center AF point to be perfectly on, even at 1.4. Happy for now, and definitely better than it was.

Jeff

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:49 PM
Tom Kelley
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D90 AF problems, need your help

From what i've read and heard, anytime you're using larger aperture fast glass, you're going to experience this problem since you're dealing with such a narrow DOF. I don't think it's a problem with the D90 anymore than it is with any DSLR. Try your slower 4.5-5.6 lenses and see if you still have the problem. Hope this helps.

Sep 29, 2011 at 03:44 PM
FotoWerkz

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D90 AF problems, need your help

Tom Kelley wrote:
From what i've read and heard, anytime you're using larger aperture fast glass, you're going to experience this problem since you're dealing with such a narrow DOF. I don't think it's a problem with the D90 anymore than it is with any DSLR. Try your slower 4.5-5.6 lenses and see if you still have the problem. Hope this helps.

That's likely a lot of it. I never had a focus issue untill I got fast glass.

Sep 29, 2011 at 03:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.