FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Canon EF Extender 2x Mk II vs. Mk III

I'm pleasantly surprised to find that both of the new Canon EF Extenders (1.4x and 2x) are usefully better than their earlier versions. In this case, I tested the new Mk III's against the 1.4x Mk I and 2x Mk II. For IQ, I regard the Kenko Pro 1.4x to be effectively the same as the Canon Mk I (and both are usefully better than the Tamron SP 1.4x). I'll use separate threads for the 1.4x and 2x Extenders. In both cases, I'll start with a summary of resolution tests made using USAF 1951 test targets, and then show a variety of comparison images. In these images, the top left and right panels show 100% crops, with the older extender on the left and the newer Mk III on the right, and the bottom panel shows the PS CS5 Navigator window for the full image.

Comments are most welcome. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Summary: in comparison with the 2x Mk II, the 2x Mk III:

- is slightly sharper overall, especially in the corners;
- has slightly better contrast;
- has less CA in the corners; and,
- has faster autofocus.

Resolution test summary:

USAF 1951 target resolution tests, 1DsIII 70-200/2.8L IS Mk II, ISO 800, yes MLU, no IS, geared head on tripod. Results include both manual focus using LiveView (LV) and autofocus (AF) in One Shot mode with centre AF point active. Results are shown for both wide open and one stop down (i.e. f/4 and f/5.6 for the 1.4x Extender, and f5.6 and f/8 for the 2x Extender).

Set 1, transit sign

1DsIII 500/4L IS wide open, ISO 400, yes AF, no MLU, yes IS, SideKick on tripod.

Set 2, buildings

1DsIII 500/4L IS wide open, ISO 400, yes AF, no MLU, yes IS, SideKick on tripod.

Set 3, painting

1DsIII 200/1.8L at f/5.6 (incl. effect of Extenders), ISO 800, LV manual focus, yes MLU, geared head on tripod.

Apr 23, 2011 at 02:00 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Thanks for tests! I agree with results, mk III extenders are better than mk II. Initially I been surprised with 2x only but after more shots with 1.4xIII I would say they are both excellent and on any of my lenses that could take extenders. I am also much happier with new build on 1.4 since I use to damage mk II and it cost me some $ to repair.

Apr 23, 2011 at 03:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Breitling65 wrote:
Thanks for tests! I agree with results, mk III extenders are better than mk II. Initially I been surprised with 2x only but after more shots with 1.4xIII I would say they are both excellent and on any of my lenses that could take extenders. I am also much happier with new build on 1.4 since I use to damage mk II and it cost me some $ to repair.

Thanks.

OTOH, I'm already on my second EF 1.4x Mk III. The first one didn't pass the "throw it at the door and bounce it off the floor" test.

Apr 23, 2011 at 04:15 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Jim,
Thank you for your test/comparison between the Mark II and III TCs. I am sure you could tell the difference better on the actual files but based strictly on the images for the web, the difference between the two is (almost) non-existent, at least, I couldn't tell the difference .

Apr 23, 2011 at 05:49 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Jim,
Thank you for pointing those differences out to me. Yes, I do see the difference now. They don't jump right at you at based on the images scaled for the web.

Joshua

Apr 23, 2011 at 08:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Joshua, you're welcome. The differences are sometimes subtle, but I think they're worth the expense - if only to reduce the time in PP.

Apr 23, 2011 at 08:37 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Thank you for posting your efforts.

It is easier to judge the evidence rather then depend on a persons results expressed in written form with no examples.

Once again, thanks for sharing.

Apr 23, 2011 at 08:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

martimes34, you're welcome. Keep on rekindling your interest in photography - just make sure that you don't catch on fire. Although, I sometimes I feel like I'm on fire, when I'm shooting 'in the zone'.

Apr 23, 2011 at 08:51 PM
Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Could you do the 1.4x II + III test, or have you ?....... Thanks ....Rich

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Hi Rich.

I'd love to compare the 1.4x Mk II and Mk III, but I don't have a II at hand, at the moment. Based on what I've heard (i.e. read), the Mk I and Mk II have the same optical bits. The II has newer coatings, but that shouldn't make a difference in the comparison tests that I did.

Jim

P.S. you do great hummers!

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:20 PM
Rich Swanner
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Thanks.....Rich

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:57 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Did you microadjust the AF for each extender/lens combination? If not, your test is meaningless.

John

Apr 24, 2011 at 01:21 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

I laugh when I think of the doublers back in the 1970's. They have come so far. I have the 2XII and am totally happy with it and like it more than the 2XI I had but I think I am ok with it. I also have a Pro 1.4 that with the 135L is excellent but I wouldn't mind trying out the Canon III at this point, if nothing more for my 200L f2.

Apr 24, 2011 at 01:57 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

BluesWest wrote:
Did you microadjust the AF for each extender/lens combination? If not, your test is meaningless.

John

Thanks for that. Maybe next time I'll do the AF tests on a 1DsII. Do you think that I should microadjust it for LiveView?

Apr 24, 2011 at 05:31 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Great explanations and work doing this. Thank you.

Apr 24, 2011 at 05:47 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Thanks for the efforts and contributing to the overall knowledgebase on these issues!

-Ed

Apr 24, 2011 at 07:21 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Well done comparison, thank you, Jim.

Apr 24, 2011 at 07:38 AM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

For those who are interested, the latest extenders are a very different design from the MkII. The older 1.4x TC is 5 elements in 4 groups but the new one is 7 elements in 3 groups. Much the same applies to the 2x: the MkII has 7 elements in 5 groups and the MkIII has 9 elements in 5 groups:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/extender.html

Apr 24, 2011 at 07:57 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

BluesWest wrote:

John

Here we go... Why is that?

Apr 24, 2011 at 08:24 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Extender 2x Mk II vs. 2x Mk III

Glad I spent the extra on the Mk.3 x2 (it comes on Tuesday)
Niall

May 01, 2011 at 01:00 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.