Monday, October 6, 2014

Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Xenon C 50mm f2

I have read a lot of good things about the lens used in the Kodak Retina Reflex, and the later Retina models, the Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Xenon C 50mm f2. I bought a non-functional Retina Reflex from the last camera show and removed the lens to be used on my Sony A7. The whole process was not as hard as I thought and the lens was quite modular and easy to take apart. A 55-52mm step-down ring was nearly a perfect fit to cover the back of the lens, which in turn mounts to my favourite Yeenon 18-33mm focus helicoid.

There is only one problem: the shutter and the aperture are synchronized. I can not keep the shutter open AND change the aperture. I can have the shutter open, but only with the aperture wide open. All the pictures you see below are shot at f2. Eventually, I will open the lens to remove the shutter blades so that I can change the aperture, but for now, I am enjoying it at f2.

The lens is very sharp at f2 and renders pictures with lovely tones. Its bokeh is beautiful. It totally deserves all the praises it has earned. I do wonder though, if the later versions of the Retina cameras, like the IIa, IIc, etc, have the same lens design.

Match made in heaven?

Gardiner Expressway - Sony A7 & Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Xenon C 50mm f2 @ f2

Dare to be different - Sony A7 & Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Xenon C 50mm f2 @ f2

Full blossom - Sony A7 & Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Xenon C 50mm f2 @ f2

Mellow Yellow - Sony A7 & Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Xenon C 50mm f2 @ f2

Bokeh - Sony A7 & Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Xenon C 50mm f2 @ f2

1 comment:

1. Hi,can you be more specific about mounting the shutter lens assembly on the digital camera?Do you have any idea about mounting it on a Canon EOS camera?There are converters for Eos to buy somewhere?Thank you very much.

ReplyDelete