Jeff Warner PHOTOGRAPHIC, Golden, Colorado, USA

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

12/7/11: Transit of Panama Canal

Although I don't have a single picture from the MV Explorer's transit of the Panama Canal on Wednesday, I've got something even better: 2,315 images strung into a time-lapse of nearly five hours of the eight hour process. I used a tripod-mounted Canon 7D and EF-S 10-22 lens, and shot at 10-second intervals.

It's clear that the Panama Canal was an amazing achievement for 1912, but it's hard to grasp how truly astounding an effort it was without actually seeing it. As our circumnavigation of the earth comes to a close several days from now, I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to do experience it.

Enjoy the images!

-Jeff

PS: By the way, the linked source file at YouTube has a higher-resolution version if you'd prefer:

Jeff Warner PHOTOGRAPHIC Panama Canal Time Lapse

9 comments:

1. Thanks for sharing. Almost felt like were right there with you in wide angle. You've done a great job telling your around the world story.

ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! That storm really turned the skies dark. Love the little self cameo at the end.

ReplyDelete
  3. Very Awesome Jeff! Merry Christmas to the world travelers. Love you all. Marlene and Family

ReplyDelete
  4. That was amazing, and I feel lucky to see so much of it crammed into 5 minutes!

ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you all enjoyed, and despite the rain, I was sort of glad to have some dramatic skies as a background.

ReplyDelete
  6. Better than a movie. I really liked seeing the water levels change.
    Joey

ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jeff & Family,
    Thank you for the great Panama Canal time lapse voyage! I will share it with family and friends including my SAS alumna friend who has done anthropological fieldwork in Panama over the last thirty years.
    Happy holiday season!
    Monica

ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Monica,

Glad you ran across the post, and hope you had a great Holiday back home!

Jeff

ReplyDelete

You must have something to say after reading all that, eh? Please leave a comment! :)