Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
have DELL U2410 - connected with display port cable (no adapters)
Work fabulously with the 2010 MBP, today got the 2011 and i see ghosting around text, pixelated quality to it. looks terrible. anyone else experiencing similar ?

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Same here. I've used my MBP to drive a HDMI and DVI monitor and both times the images were crystal clear. Perhaps your monitor has a setting to adjust for an autocorrection? Reseting to factory defaults is always the easy answer. One last thing I'd think to check is the refresh rate. It should be automatically set but I might be worth checking.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
tried the display reset. it's not major - but it just does't look right.
i'm not paranoid, am i ? difficult to photograph this kind of stuff.

ps: anybody has calibrated profile for U2410 on 2011 MBP ?

Attachments

• IMG_4264.jpg
    IMG_4264.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 1,121

ZZANG

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Planet Cybertron
tried the display reset. it's not major - but it just does't look right.
i'm not paranoid, am i ? difficult to photograph this kind of stuff.

ps: anybody has calibrated profile for U2410 on 2011 MBP ?

Best thing to ease your mind is just take it to Apple and make sure it's not the MBP.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Best thing to ease your mind is just take it to Apple and make sure it's not the MBP.

just tested it on 2009 macbook - it seems i'm correct im my assumption - see the image.

Attachments

• macbook.jpg
    macbook.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 892

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
You need to adjust the resolution on your laptop. Its not being feed the proper signal.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
The monitor IS set to it's maximum resolution, right?

oh course i have it mainly for photo editing. i know my toys.
1920x1200 @ 60Hz.

tested on:
2011 15" MBP (not right, weird halo & pixelation)
2009 13" MB - nice and smooth

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
only surprised that i'm the only one ?
first time for me in 6 years to have a lemon from apple.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
Shot in the dark, but also try in System Preferences -> Appearance

Use LCD font smoothing when available...

Maybe try adjusting the text smoothing/font sizes.

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Have you tried another monitor (if you have one) to see if it does the same thing? Hope you figure it out, def. drop by an Apple store and see what they say :)

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
yes, font smoothing is enabled.
no i currently don't have a custom profile, but that only affects color reproduction.

as mentioned above - i've tested same monitor with same connection cable on 2009 MB 13" - and the external display output was nice and smooth as it should (no custom color profile either)

it's definitely the new MPB causing that.

BumbleBeee

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
I am having the same exact problem with my brand new 2011 2.3.
to reduce the problem a bit i lowered the sharpness to 30 on my monitor.
that eased up things a bit.
if someone is having the same issues please let the forum know.
we need to get this fixed.

RockyRaccoon

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2007
SF Bay Area
same issue here.
brand new MBP 15", 2.0GHz. Attached it to my 24" (native res: 1920 x 1200/60 Hz) via thunderbolt/DVI apple connector, and I get ghosting, flickering and noise.
Not a monitor issue as far as I can tell (since it works just fine when connected via DVI to a 5-yo macbook).

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
So I'm not alone afterall. Dis not call Apllf yet myself, but reported it in feedback on their web.
The question is - any chance this can be fixed by a firmware update ?
Or just go ahead and have the logic board replaced ?

nsdjoe

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Macbooks don't seem to detect non-apple displays as LCDs and considers them CRTs and won't turn on font smoothing (No surprise; Apple wants you to buy a cinema display). There's a terminal command that is supposed to fix it but doesn't for me. So far I'm just dealing with it.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Macbooks don't seem to detect non-apple displays as LCDs and considers them CRTs and won't turn on font smoothing (No surprise; Apple wants you to buy a cinema display). There's a terminal command that is supposed to fix it but doesn't for me. So far I'm just dealing with it.

nonsense.
detects type of output device properly. font smoothing is activated.

it's probably caused by some interference. i believe the logic board will need to be replaced. i'm in the process with local service center.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
installed W7 x64 and the extrnal screen looks fine there. nice and crisp ! :eek:

what the F...! so possibly SW firmware on the MAC side will solve this ?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I think it's bad drivers. The 2011 MBPs also don't work well with the 24" LED ACD. Incessant intermittent blackouts. I also think it's annoying that you can't use the Intel HD 3000 to solely drive an external display.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
I think it's bad drivers. The 2011 MBPs also don't work well with the 24" LED ACD. Incessant intermittent blackouts. I also think it's annoying that you can't use the Intel HD 3000 to solely drive an external display.

the W7 installation game me hope - as you said that it's SW caused issue.
hope apple will address this quickly. please call or submit feedback with apple to get things moving.

BumbleBeee

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
the W7 installation game me hope - as you said that it's SW caused issue.
hope apple will address this quickly. please call or submit feedback with apple to get things moving.

Same experience here as well with the W7 OS. everything works great on there. no issues with the screen. the problem is only with OS X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.